What does everyone do with their dead coyotes?

Pa Rambler

I'm brand new to predator hunting and have lots of questions which I've been getting answers to here on this forum. My next question is what to do with the coyotes and foxes I plan to shoot. I called my local fur guy and he told me that my 22-250 would damage the furs and there for be worth nothing. I'm not shooting them to make money but I thought it would be good to sell the furs and recoup some of the expense to hunt. So I watch the videos of hunts and I know these guys are using calibers similar to mine and it makes me think, what do they do with these dead animals.

There are several fur buyers in Pennsylvania, PA R. Just Yahoo or Google them up or contact one of the fur trappers associations for PA and they should be able to help. If it's a good fur, I can't imagine letting it lie.

I'd like to make a couple of dollars this year in Florida, too. I just took a photo of this road-killed coyote this morning and they already have great coats.

032.jpg

031.jpg

If I can get a couple of these and a bobcat or two, I'm hoping to recoup some gas money and start a rifle fund. Good luck.

Not sure about there..but if the hides aren't worth $30 skinned...I don't bother...I pretty much hunt them to cut the numbers in my hunting districts.

KB

I leave them laying where the rancher can see them the next day. The buzzards and fireants clean them up lickety split.

I have a neighbor 4 houses down who traps. Shot the first one of last years season, broke my butt dragging it out and went back and picked it up with my truck. Offered it to him because I know he does a lot of skinning anyway. He said he didn't want it. Took it back out to the field and dumped it. He told me when I shoot more let 'em lay. Not worth the effort, so I do.

I guess I'm confused now. A lot of members on here talk about skinning and selling. Is it a volume thing? Is it only worth it if you have 30 and not 3?

Anyone?

last year and this year they were definatly worth the trouble
20-30 bucks adds up. as far as your carcases you can
burn them
dig a pit buary them
biggest thing is keep thm from the public eye

the few I shot & killed were left laying in the woods
buzzards gotta eat too

in my case - the $ from a few hides would barely cover the gas bill to/from the fur buyer

definitely not worth the effort for me

Originally Posted By: Chilsondig a pit bury them biggest thing is keep them from the public eye

There was a contest recently in the area and a ton of coyotes were brought in. Someone that had shot a few left the carcasses in a dumpster. Not only is that a legal issue about proper disposal, but the dumpster belonged to the Veterinarian I bring my dogs to. He knows I hunt so I got an ear full of how upset he was...and rightfully so. The carcasses stunk to heck and back the mouths had jaw blocks and zip ties, (which to a hunter is ok but to the normal population that sees "tortured" animals removed from the dumpster of a veterinarian is an issue), some had torn skin, etc.

There are three animal crematoriums in my area which accept road kill, etc. so if there is one in your area, it might be a good alternative for disposing of a carcass.

I haven't had the good fortune to shoot a lot of coyotes, but the ones I've shot were skinned and the carcasses dragged out to the desert. Some of my friends just skin their kills in the field and bury the carcasses where they were shot.

As it is, there perception is less than great for us. Leaving rotting carcasses in a dumpster only adds to the problem.

I don't get that many a year. But when i do I will drop them off at my taxidermist. And for $70 bucks I get back a nice tanned fur to hang on the wall. If they have the mange I just leave em in the woods covered up with brush or what ever.

I would first check and see what the prices are worth in your area whether it be on carcass or pelted out if you can get $10 to $15 more skinned out I would do that for sure it pays when you have a quarry of them to sell if the price and fur is right. Otherwise start digging a hole to bury them. And your 22-250 won't ruin your coyote hides unless shooting a heavy grained load or close range on your foxes on the otherhand it could do a number on the hide. Your best bet is to shoot a low grain varmint load if your gonna use the 22-250 for close encounters or carry a shotgun with yah for the close kills. Just a little info I have figured out maybe wrong in some people's eyes but I am doin just fine with it. Good luck to ya!

Maybe some of you wastrels should check out Coyotegods.com

Any one who wastes a valuable game animal should not be allowed to have a gun. You stated your opinion, this is mine.

Dave

Originally Posted By: MousedipperMaybe some of you wastrels should check out Coyotegods.com

Any one who wastes a valuable game animal should not be allowed to have a gun. You stated your opinion, this is mine.

Dave

I guess "waste" is subjective at best. Killing predators to preserve livestock & wildlife is not "wasting" them in my opinion.

"Game Animal" is also according to what state you live in. Here, and wherever I hunt coyotes, they are not "Game Animals", nor are they classified by G&F as such....
wink.gif

"Valuable" is also subjective. My local furbuyer said he doesn't want even skinned green hides. At any price. If I skin and prepare the hides with lots of my time, I MAY get back 1/2 of the fuel costs of hunting them, if I send them to an auction out of state.

"Wastrels"? I would hardly call anyone that enjoys coyote hunting names if they are enjoying it, and are responsible with what they do with the coyotes they kill.

Everyone has different ethics and opinions. Some are just less narrowminded and judgemental than others....
lol.gif

Barry

Originally Posted By: rockinbbarOriginally Posted By: MousedipperMaybe some of you wastrels should check out Coyotegods.com

Dave

I guess "waste" is subjective at best. Killing predators to preserve livestock & wildlife is not "wasting" them in my opinion.

"Game Animal" is also according to what state you live in. Here, and wherever I hunt coyotes, they are not "Game Animals", nor are they classified by G&F as such....
wink.gif

"Valuable" is also subjective. My local furbuyer said he doesn't want even skinned green hides. At any price. If I skin and prepare the hides with lots of my time, I MAY get back 1/2 of the fuel costs of hunting them, if I send them to an auction out of state.

"Wastrels"? I would hardly call anyone that enjoys coyote hunting names if they are enjoying it, and are responsible with what they do with the coyotes they kill.

Everyone has different ethics and opinions. Some are just less narrowminded and judgemental than others....
lol.gif

Barry

Well said Barry.

Originally Posted By: rockinbbarOriginally Posted By: MousedipperMaybe some of you wastrels should check out Coyotegods.com

Dave

I guess "waste" is subjective at beest. Killing predators to preserve livestock & wildlife is not "wasting" them in my opinion.

wink.gif

lol.gif

Barry

Well put Barry! Anyone who has been to other sites have experienced how people are treated that don't shoot a certain caliber or do exactly the "right" things with their carcasses. I say just dispose of them out of site out of mind. Be responsible with them so the antis don't see them and you'll be fine

There is a place in town that buys mine. They buy them whole, fur and all for about $5-8 a piece. I think the name of the place is Hunan Super Buffet, or something IDK. Real nice asian people, always really excited to get them...

Back