Charging handle latch pin removal

blopez50

Im trying to put an extended latch on a charging handle and cant figure out what to use to get that little pin out. I dont have any punches... Any suggestions?

Thanks

Make sure the nail has a flat bottom.
Is yours a split pin or a solid pin.
Make sure it is not crimped on one side of the charging handle.

I assume you have taken the charging handle out,lay the charging handle(the hole with the pin) just over the edge of your bench give it a wack with a small hammer it will come out.

Thanks for the help guys but im giving up for now... I have no clue.

I flattened a nail down and have been smackin it for the last 10 minutes or so with various other things and it just wont come out... I think my pops has a set of punches ill borrow next week.

Im assuming its a split.. its hollow. and it sure looks crimped on the bottom side.

Last edited:
if you don't grind a flat spot on the nail it will want to widen the end your hitting up and seat it tight. you will be working on them more so might as well buy a punch set and get it over with
Mike

You have to pull back on the latch to take some tension off as you use a flat puch to drive it out. It's almost a 3 arm operation.

BLopez, As Yotecaller stated, it's almost a three hand job...

You can, if you dont' have a small strong spring clamp, wrap a heavy rubber band around the leading (front) portion of the handle/latch to provide tension on the spring and then you have to apply forward pressure on the back of the new latch to get the pin holes to line up...

While you can make a substitute roll pin remover, you are much better to go out and buy a small set, just be sure to get the size you need (I think it's a 1/16"), as you will probably need them later in time if you are going to do any work on your rifle in the future...

When you do drive out the pin, there is a very small and strong spring under the latch...Please don't allow it to escape, as it can be very hard to find on certain floor surfaces...Don't ask me how I know...
blushing.gif

Before I got a punch set I used allen wrenches that were the size of the pin. I seemed to have them in duplicates all over the place so I just cut the bent end off and there ya go. I also have a 1x4 with several different size holes drilled in it to knock pins into.

Back