Load data for 223 with varget

chefpierre

I am looking for load data for the 223 with both the 69 gr. hpbt and 77? or so hpbt with varget. I plan on shooting this in high power next year. Any info would be helpful. Please include COAL.

Thanks chris

Just curious what twist you are shooting? Im wanting to step up from a 55gr to a 69gr bullet in my 1:9 twist. Most reports say the 1:9 twist will shoot the 69's just fine.

I currently shoot 25.1gr of Varget in Win brass with a 55gr bullet and CCI primers at mag length.

Chefpierre, I think you will find that the 77gr will need to be loaded singly due to usable overall length, while the 69gr rounds will normally fit the magazine if seated carefully...

I tried to load some 75gr A-Max for my 1/7 twist M4 and to get them in the magazine, they had to be set way back in the case... I was worried about excess pressure, but the five I fired provided great groups..

Originally Posted By: chefpierreOriginally Posted By: Kai S.The Hodgdons website has a ton of great load data

Im looking for real world experience.

Mr. ChefPierre:

Please note that a ballistics lab like Hodgdon's IS real world experience...it is the most real as it can get; with engineers, pressure testing equipment, statistical analysis skills...in other words, they have most everything the handloader doesn't!

The powder/bullet companies know what they are doing.

Originally Posted By: chefpierreOriginally Posted By: sluggerhttp://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

I am looking for real world experience.

So your going to load up a bunch of loads that were recommended on some bulletin board, that could very easily blow up in your face because the hodgdon website isn't "real world"??

Heres a load for ya, it works great in my gun:

scared.gif
confused.gif
.223 Rem -- 220gr of Varget (yes, very, very compressed load), CCI-250 Primers (pretty sure they will fit). Top that off with a 105 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip.
confused.gif
scared.gif

Last time I checked, they make the powder, doesn't get much more "real world" than that, but what do we know...

Originally Posted By: BuckeyeSpecialOriginally Posted By: chefpierreOriginally Posted By: Kai S.The Hodgdons website has a ton of great load data

Im looking for real world experience.

Mr. ChefPierre:

Please note that a ballistics lab like Hodgdon's IS real world experience...it is the most real as it can get; with engineers, pressure testing equipment, statistical analysis skills...in other words, they have most everything the handloader doesn't!

The powder/bullet companies know what they are doing.

Have you loaded and shot 69 gr. hpbt with varget? That is what I am looking for. I can look up hodgdon, sierra manual, load books, reloaders nest, etc..... I am looking for people who have done this load like old turtle.

Originally Posted By: sluggerOriginally Posted By: chefpierreOriginally Posted By: sluggerhttp://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

I am looking for real world experience.

So your going to load up a bunch of loads that were recommended on some bulletin board, that could very easily blow up in your face because the hodgdon website isn't "real world"??

Heres a load for ya, it works great in my gun:

scared.gif
confused.gif
.223 Rem -- 220gr of Varget (yes, very, very compressed load), CCI-250 Primers (pretty sure they will fit). Top that off with a 105 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip.
confused.gif
scared.gif

Last time I checked, they make the powder, doesn't get much more "real world" than that, but what do we know...

Have you loaded 69 or 77 gr. hpbt? That is what I am looking for. I can recomend to people that are smarty pants to take running jump on to a big stick of dumb azz.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brad Phillips25 gr. Varget 69 SMK 110fp "real world" I would add that a person should take info as graciously as it was given.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

Especially with semi autos I don't think "real world" experience is always replicable. Every gun has its own harmonics and what works in one won't necessarily work in another even if they appear to be identical.

Back