re-chambering to 7mm STW

Trapper Luke

Being having one heck of a time trying to find a Remington Sendero chambered in 7mm STW to build off of so I was wondering what (if possible) I can do to get a Sendero and get it re-chambred in 7 STW by a smith?

Thanks,
Luke

This can be done by any smith. You can get the 7mm mag and they just ream it to the 7 stw chamber. The biggest problem with re-chambering is that there is always the original marking on the barrel. I have seen some XX the old markings out or some just add the STW to the end.

Since the Sendero have heavy barrel without sights they can remove 1/64 off the barrel shoulder which allows the barrel to rotate 1/4 turn and the original markings will be covered by the stock and just re stamp it to say 7mm STW. I have seen this on both 300 win mags and 7mm stws.

Any smith can rechamber to the STW. As for the stamp, have the barrel turned or just rotate it 180* and restamp. The factory markings will be hidden by the stock. Make sure you keep your paperwork on the build incase you ever decide to re-sale the rifle.
*** Very curious, why STW over 7WSM?

You will like the STW. I just picked up a pre Jlock Sendreo a couple weeks ago, so far it rivals my Cooper 223AI with a lilja barrel for accuracy. I have been shooting 1/2" or less groups consistently at 100 and nearly as good at 200. I would just buy a 7mm rem mag and have it rechambered, STW's are rare. Remember you have very little room to play with seating depth with the long STW case. You should shoot the rem mag for accuracy before you rechamber though, if you go that route. You should look into a long action mag 700 action and start a build with a custom barrel in my opinion, barrel life for the STW is short and Senderos are expensive. It would suck to end up with one that has been shot alot and find out the barrel is toast. I like the stock on the old sendero much better than the Sendero II with hte palm swells.

Originally Posted By: trevor73402 As for the stamp, have the barrel turned or just rotate it 180* and restamp.

If you rotate it 180 the marking will be upside down on the other side. By removing 1/64th off the shoulder the barrel will rotate 1/4 turn and the stock will cover the markings.

I like the standard Rem magnum just fine. It will reach out as far as I please.

If I did build an STW, it would not be with a standard mag. length action and a double-punched tube. Without getting into too much detail about it, let's just say I would not be able to seat bullets out as far as I like, and you run the chance of ending up with a sloppy chamber that is tough on brass. I suppose you could go with a Wyatts mag. box to solve the mag. constriction/seating depth issues.

I read an article by Layne Simpson years ago on his beloved STWs. He said he felt that the poor man's STWs being produced by punching out 7mm RMs were turning out to be more accurate than the original factory chamberings. He said he was not sure if this was because of the more concentric chambers being cut by the gunsmiths or that the 7 STW was just a more inherently accurate cartridge than the 7mm RM. I got a good chuckle out of that, because not only do I disagree on both counts, old Layne has never missed an opportunity to toot his own horn. He is definitley a legend in his own mind. But not in anybody else's.

Anyhoo, reamer selection and smith selection are absolutely critical if yo go RM to STW. I'd be VERY particular as to both selections.

Oh yes, and I'd not fret the barrel stamp too much as it is easily hidden and restamped.

JMO......

haha man theres so many options about how to get this gun that I've wanted for awhile now! I cant decide on what I wana do I get set on one option then get told bout a different that sounds better. Now I'm thinkin bout doin what chad shultz said bout just buying a long action mag 700 action and getting a custom barrel. Do plannin on doing some custom things to it like stock, trigger work etc just to make it "mine"

If I end up going with just buying a long action mag 700 action would it still be a good idea to find a Sendero or is a long action mag 700 action a long action mag 700 action? No differences between models?

Thanks,
Luke

Back