.44mag load in the 10" contender

22-250ohio

ok folks i have been loading 21.5 gr of Lil Gun in my 44mag and getting excellent accuracy. This load is is very very dirty out of my gun. i picked up a lb of H110 to try out with my 240gr xtp. anyone load with this combo and if so what results are you getting?
thanks
rob

Yeah! The h110 and 240 XTP combo is a good one. I like it. I'm using win 296 with a 270 Speer DC with 1.5" @50 yds. Very happy with the load!

I use H-110 or 296 almost exclusively in the 44 mag both Contenders and revolvers I have shot the 240xtp with very good accuracy from my 14" Contenders but the 270 GD is a much better bullet IMO and very accurate in my Contenders either should work fine

With my 11" barrel I am using 23.5 grains 296 with a 240 grain xtp in a winchester case and primer. I am getting 1.5" 5 shot groups at 100 yards. Velocity unknown at this point.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Yeah! The h110 and 240 XTP combo is a good one. I like it. I'm using win 296 with a 270 Speer DC with 1.5" @50 yds. Very happy with the load! Originally Posted By: Rich44I use H-110 or 296 almost exclusively in the 44 mag both Contenders and revolvers I have shot the 240xtp with very good accuracy from my 14" Contenders but the 270 GD is a much better bullet IMO and very accurate in my Contenders either should work fine

The 270 Gold Dot UniCore are now the Speer Deep Curl BTW.

contender045.jpg

this is the groups i am getting with the lilgun...it is just dirty and i am still unsure of the velocity book lists it at just over 1300

Did you show pressure signs? If you can increase your charge you will burn a higher % of powder and it will be cleaner.

With Quickload using that longer than normal COL of 1.795 it looks like a max load should be upwards of 25 grs....(double check to manual as Quickload is a reference)

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: pahntr760Yeah! The h110 and 240 XTP combo is a good one. I like it. I'm using win 296 with a 270 Speer DC with 1.5" @50 yds. Very happy with the load! Originally Posted By: Rich44I use H-110 or 296 almost exclusively in the 44 mag both Contenders and revolvers I have shot the 240xtp with very good accuracy from my 14" Contenders but the 270 GD is a much better bullet IMO and very accurate in my Contenders either should work fine

The 270 Gold Dot UniCore are now the Speer Deep Curl BTW.

Not till the ones I have are gone and thats going to be awhile

I shoot H110 with 265gr hard cast gas checked Ranch dogs and I push them at 1700fps from my 1894ss the load is not to bad for recoil and i can shoot it all day long it works for every critter from g-hogs to 500lb black bear!

that is a heck of a nice group man and I put accuracy before everything eles...including dirty barrels!
as a matter of fact I am going to get some lil gun to try for my self!

Lil' Gun is also capable of producing some of the best velocities in .44 mag as well....I like it but every time I've mentioned it in the past there has been a large group of naysayers stating it was an unstable powder...I've never noticed the instability but there have been a lot of others chiming in about it.

Originally Posted By: TURBO6046Lil' Gun is also capable of producing some of the best velocities in .44 mag as well....I like it but every time I've mentioned it in the past there has been a large group of naysayers stating it was an unstable powder...I've never noticed the instability but there have been a lot of others chiming in about it.

had a friend tell me that .44mag 1894 lever was cute but only good for 50yards!!....he bought one for him self after watching me wack three ground hogs in a row at 230yards 260yards!! and 240 yards...he actualy passed them off and went and examened each one lol!!
naysayers are a dime a dozen bro!

I use nothing but H110 in my Ruger SRH. It has a 9 1/2" barrel and one of my pets loads is 24.0gr of H110 and 240gr HP-XTP. I'm sure this would be a great load out of a Contender.

Originally Posted By: 22-250ohio
contender045.jpg

this is the groups i am getting with the lilgun...it is just dirty and i am still unsure of the velocity book lists it at just over 1300

That is the kind of groups I have been getting at 50 yards, with my Contender and Super Redhawk.

even at 50 yards that is a great group! ...I wonder what I could get with that load at 100 yards with the 1894's longer barrel?
thnks for sharing guys

Back