Hi Bob! I've never tried it so can't really say for sure if it would work or not. I believe that a domestic dogs response to a dog whistle is a learned response, so I would be doubtful(I've been wrong a few times in my life though).

What calls did ya get? Are you practicing with them? You haven't practiced enough with them until you tick off the wife
thumbup.gif

Chupa

Im sure a dog whistle would alert a yote but not call it in. Like Chupa said, the domestic dogs response is a conditioned response to the whistle, but, I may be wrong...it will surly educate it if nothing else.....

Randy Anderson is NOT the best and the Primos power dog is a POS. There are 50 members here that would smoke Randy. IMHO

If you are calling in birds you are on the right track, at least a little.

Bob don't get discouraged, nobody I'm aware of calls one every stand. Some guys go years and hundreds of stands to get that first one down. Early on in the calling season in good territory I kill on average one coyote, fox, or bobcat for every five or six stands. As the season progresses that average gets progressively worse. By March when I usually wrap up my calling season I may be averaging one coyote per every 10 - 12 stands (fox/bobcat long out of season at that point). Terrain, predator densities, and experience are key elements in your success. And throwing money at equipment doesn't equal success. Woodsmanship trumps all else IMHO. You can read all day and watch videos all night, but wearing out boot leather and making stands, experiencing failures and drawing blanks and alertly learning from that will eventually lead to successes. With the occasional success will come real world experience and that will lead to considerably more consistent and reliable positive results. The first one is always the toughest to get under your belt. Patience, persistence, and attention to detail are huge assets in this game.

hey....fellow minnesota guy here. I am also new to this and have had some luck without kills so far ( I need to learn to shoot better when my heart is beating like mad). I am not sure what part of Minnesota you are in but I am having some luck with the Blue Jay distress. Rabbits aren't working for me at all. I called in 3 today and came home empty handed. Don't get discouraged. If you are looking for more informative "hands on" type teaching pick up Tony Tebbe's video "So you want to be a predator caller". Randy Anderson is, for sure good at what he does, but Tony's video goes into much more detail about stand setup. This has helped more than anything else thus far. I have been about 50-60 percent so far at seeing coyotes on my stands which is pretty good for someone new to the sport. Now I just need to learn how to shoot better. Good luck.
Jeff

Just remember those videos have the magic of editing. Meaning they don't call them in stand after stand. See guys one here wondering what they have done wrong because they have been out 3 times in a month and not seen any. I can go and do 8-10 stands in a day and not see any. Heck last year I went 0 for 30 in a spand of a week. Just got to keep telling yourself this is the day. Because one day it will go from no coyotes to coyotes every other stand. Just keep at it.

BTW, It took me 3 years to kill my first. There is alot of learning to be done. Heck I'm still learning after 13 years of it.

How long are you sitting on stand, how many wolves in your area, how much are you paying attention to the wind???

Ton's of questions come to mind, but if you are seeing predatory birds, its just a matter of time before you start seeing either some kind of dog, or a cat.

Not sure, but is there a bobcat season where your at? Sounds to me like you need to be ready for one of those.

Originally Posted By: GCBob don't get discouraged, nobody I'm aware of calls one every stand. Some guys go years and hundreds of stands to get that first one down. Early on in the calling season in good territory I kill on average one coyote, fox, or bobcat for every five or six stands. As the season progresses that average gets progressively worse. By March when I usually wrap up my calling season I may be averaging one coyote per every 10 - 12 stands (fox/bobcat long out of season at that point). Terrain, predator densities, and experience are key elements in your success. And throwing money at equipment doesn't equal success. Woodsmanship trumps all else IMHO. You can read all day and watch videos all night, but wearing out boot leather and making stands, experiencing failures and drawing blanks and alertly learning from that will eventually lead to successes. With the occasional success will come real world experience and that will lead to considerably more consistent and reliable positive results. The first one is always the toughest to get under your belt. Patience, persistence, and attention to detail are huge assets in this game.

Could not have been stated any better.
thumbup1.gif

Back