Coonhound Paralysis ?

gary paugh

My Jagd's got into it with a raccoon two weeks ago and about 4 days ago my female started having trouble standing her back legs wouldn't support her, weak bark and shallow breathing. the vet thought that she blew a disk out in her back but she shows no sign of pain.
Now we are thinking it's coonhound paralysis.
If anyone has any experience with this I would be greatful for any info.
Thank you.
Gary

Last edited:
Google ivdd. Its common in longer dogs. We had a dachshund develop it. There is a group called dodgerslist. Search that too for even more info.

What I'm asking about is Polyradiculoneuritis (coonhound paralysis)

I've gone the Google route and now would like to hear anyone's first hand experience.

i know a guy that has had two dogs get it, one didnt make it, the other took 4 monthes of hand feeding and watering before he came out of it, if that dog hadnt been such a good decoy dog he would have put him down

You can't do anything. Some use dex or prednisone. I have had 3 terriers get it. 2 died 1 lived to be retired. Once they get it, they will get it again. Pm me if you have a specific question, but really all you can do is keep it comfortable and hydrated. I suspended mine with a towel above the bath tub to passively exercise mine. They were all different ages, 2 breeds, and not linebred. Nobody knows how to cure or prevent it. Hope it pulls through but if you plan on hunting coons again, plan for the worst....

Coincidence: Spent time with a friend yesterday who has a coonhound that just loves to hunt them!! She has had coon hound paralysis twice; the second time just recently after a rough and tumble fight with a big coon. What they told me is that there is no cure and you can look forward to a lot of hands on care for the dog as it will probably go down hard on you for a while. Whether they make it or not is a crap shoot. Also expect the dog to recover mobility slowly. Maggie( my friends coon hound) is rarin' to give it a go again. The family is a little apprehensive about that. She is part of their family.

Originally Posted By: gary paughWhat I'm asking about is Polyradiculoneuritis (coonhound paralysis)

I know about EPM in horses that is associated with opossums. It presents in a similar way.

Not familiar with this one.

Is this an ailment that dogs get from racoons specifically?

Virus? Injury? Or what?

Can't answer that DC. All I was told is it is a result of Coon Hounds mixing it up with coons; transmission of some kind of virus from a bite may be the cause, or, even contact may cause it. I know coons carry some weird bugs and parasites, one of which is coon round worm; something that is transmittable to humans and it can be found in your eyes. Not good. Sixty percent of the coons here carry coon round worm. The paralysis ailment seems to only affect coon hounds.

Last edited:
i heard, not sure if this is right, but i heard its from coming in contact with the brains of a coon, like into a open wound or eating them

Originally Posted By: trapper2i heard, not sure if this is right, but i heard its from coming in contact with the brains of a coon, like into a open wound or eating them

Guess that's a good reason to avoid head shots.

hit him with the dex and pred as rolly stated,CHP is contacted from the saliva of coons. 4 dogs of ours have had it lost one so far with fingers crossed the other 3 see limited action last yr with no effects. 2 of them will be hunted a little harder this yr.i think dogs that might be a little run down or weak are more likely to contact the disease. good luck with her

Thanks for bringing this topic up, never had this problem
but to be on the safe side we started knocking them out
dead to the dog starting last night. He can still "wool"
them all he wants but trying to avoid the saliva.

"If you're lucky enough to live in Wyoming, you're lucky enough"

The female had the coon by the neck and her face was covered in coon blood the male got bit 4 or 5 time in the head and is fine.

She was able to stay up on all fours for a min or so last night so we feel she's making good progress.

The vet I went to yesterday say's it's the first case he has seen in 40yrs

Well she met me at the door today and walked halfway across the living room before her legs gave out I can't believe how fast she is recovering.

Gary

Update sophie is walking and running around pretty good still can't jump up and her legs buckle if she trys jumping off the back steps but she is stronger every day,shes come along way in the last month.

Gary

Back