Question about Wolves in Alabama

whbonney26

Hello, this weekend I went to Alabama on our family land. We have a scrap pile near the wood line and we are able to watch from the window some of the critters that will come eat.

We have seen lots of foxes, coyote, bobcat, opossum and coons eat there. The other night I was sitting on the couch watching TV and looked out the window and seen something that I had never seen before.

If I was somewhere else I would swear it was a Wolf. This thing was much larger than any coyote I have seen on the property. The dog had longer legs and just bigger all the way around. The color was dark....either black or possibly a dark gray.

I have never heard of Wolves being in north Alabama so I originally thought that a wolf was out.

I googled Wolves in Alabama and found sites saying that Gray Wolves and even Red Wolves are in Alabama. I looked on http://www.dcnr.state.al.us/hunting/ and did not find anything on Wolves. Nothing that said they are there....protected....or anything else.

My question is simple.....has anyone else who hunts the Alabama area ever heard of or seen any Wolves?

Maybe this was just an extremely large Coyote but he was nothing like any of the other coyotes I have seen and killed there.

Many/most southeastern coyotes have red wolf and/or domestic dog DNA in their genetic woodpile, which is one reason that they are larger than western "pure" coyotes. Genetic dilution from interbreeding with coyotes is one contributing factor to the red wolf's demise.

Here in Georgia they also say that wolves no longer exist. While I personally haven't seen a wolf in central Georgia, I have seen a few huge coyote that could be easily mistaken for a young wolf. However, last year a motorist took a picture of what appears to be a wolf that was spotted along side a road not far from Athens, Georgia. To my old eyes, it doesn't look to be 100% wolf, but there is clearly some wolf DNA in the mix.

WolfnearAthens.jpg

WolfnearAthens2.jpg

Last edited:
like said earlier most of the southern states have some kind of red wolves and sc included but the ones here and kept in a pen on a island off the coast to breed them so the ycan release them .

aslo people will buy wolf hybrids and cant handle them cause they do still have the wild in them and they turn them loose and they are some big animals .might be what some people see out there running wild and breeding with coyotes and dogs .

I think you about "summed" it up sonofdsouth72. My cousin and his wife at one time owned a timber wolf. It was kept in a pen with an 8 ft high fence and a concrete floor. They had it for several years until their divorce at which time it was given away to another gentleman and his wife. It so happened that the man and wife that took possession of the wolf were murdered driving up their driveway about 10 years ago by three individuals that went on to rob their house. It was a sad story around here for quite a while. What was strange is that the wolf (which they kept outside) was never found. Who knows....

Originally Posted By: alphayoteI think you about "summed" it up sonofdsouth72. My cousin and his wife at one time owned a timber wolf. It was kept in a pen with an 8 ft high fence and a concrete floor. They had it for several years until their divorce at which time it was given away to another gentleman and his wife. It so happened that the man and wife that took possession of the wolf were murdered driving up their driveway about 10 years ago by three individuals that went on to rob their house. It was a sad story around here for quite a while. What was strange is that the wolf (which they kept outside) was never found. Who knows....

Sad story about the family but interesting that the Wolf vanished. Who knows where it went.

I am not sure what I seen.....its never been on my game camera but maybe one day I will see it again and this time study what I am looking at more.

I only seen it for a few seconds....maybe 20. I just thought I was looking at a coyote but when I thought about it more and more after the fact.....I just dont think it was....or at least not a regular one.

Originally Posted By: SwiftNever say never.....

So true. A couple of years ago, a hunter killed a Florida panther near lake West Point, Ga. At the time, it was felt to be someone's escaped pet cougar, until DNA tests came back confirming it was a panther. At the time, it was claimed no Florida panthers existed north of the Everglades.

We also have jaguarundies in south Georgia, due to the fact that the state of Florida released some near here in the '40's-'50's.

Kizmo ... i got a friend of mine who love to hear that . he believes that there are black panthers roaming the south and the jagaurundies are sometimes black in color .

They are indeed frequently black/sable in color.

There's a book series on Florida animals that's sold in Fla. state parks that lists them as non-native species that live in Fla, along with other Fla oddballs like jackrabbits, which apparently thrive at Miami International Airport but not elsewhere. I'll try to find my copy. Also, the ranger at Tate's H-e-l-l State Park (a little over an hour from my house) told me that they have several there.

Here's an intersting link:
Jaguarundie in the US

Also keep in mind that bobcats can rarely be melanistic (my dream trophy of all time).

Last edited:
I've heard for years people seeing black panthers around hear in VA.and there's been alot of people seeing mountain lion,I myself haven't but I do know people that say they have seen Mtn.lion and I do know there's no way they would lie about it, just not being the type of people to lie ,so it does make you wonder.......

Originally Posted By: Stu Farishwe don't have any wolves & you're not allowed to shoot the ones you see...

same as cougars

Things that make ya go hum?
confused.gif

Hello, this weekend I went to Alabama on our family land. We have a scrap pile near the wood line and we are able to watch from the window some of the critters that will come eat.

We have seen lots of foxes, coyote, bobcat, opossum and coons eat there. The other night I was sitting on the couch watching TV and looked out the window and seen something that I had never seen before.

If I was somewhere else I would swear it was a Wolf. This thing was much larger than any coyote I have seen on the property. The dog had longer legs and just bigger all the way around. The color was dark....either black or possibly a dark gray.

I have never heard of Wolves being in north Alabama so I originally thought that a wolf was out.

I googled Wolves in Alabama and found sites saying that Gray Wolves and even Red Wolves are in Alabama. I looked on http://www.dcnr.state.al.us/hunting/ and did not find anything on Wolves. Nothing that said they are there....protected....or anything else.

My question is simple.....has anyone else who hunts the Alabama area ever heard of or seen any Wolves?

Maybe this was just an extremely large Coyote but he was nothing like any of the other coyotes I have seen and killed there.
I live in Anniston/oxford at Golden Springs. My property backs up to hundreds of acres of mountains and protected land. I was sitting on my screened porch reading and one walked up by it. It scared the crap out of me. I'll never forget those eyes. I tried to scare it off and it stared at me sizing me up. Thet are here. It was massive.

People around here report black panthers and wolves until you get sick of it. The pictures of so called proof they come up with are either so obscure that when you show the picture to 10 people you get 10 different answers, or they are clearly black house cats, bobcats or coyotes depending on which they are claiming to see.

There was a 52 pound coyote weighed in at a contest yesterday in Middle Texas. A lot of people seeing that would claim it was a wolf.

Thousands of animals prought in during these contests here in Texas and never a black panther.

If there were a fraction of what people claim to see, you would thing someone would kill one or get a no doubt picture of one.

Heck,you can’t take a leak in the woods without getting your picture on somebody’s game camera.

Like the Hammer said above ..... there aren't any "Black Panthers" in Texas ..... or ANYWHERE for that matter. There have however been confirmed sightings of melanistic (they look black) jaguars in extreme SW Texas that are presumed to be travelers from Mexico.

Wolves in Alabama? LOL. Not unless it is someone's wolf/dog hybrid pet that was released or escaped captivity. End of the story. (Of course I suppose it could be one of BigFoot's animals that I've heard he owns)

All of that aside, my wife is a veterinarian and HAS seen a few "wolves" both in Tennessee and in Texas that were actually wolf/dog crossed canines (legal to own in some places) but had the looks and size of a wolf. One owner actually swore that his animal was a full-blooded wolf until he was told that it was illegal for him to own it. He quickly told the truth about it after that. (She now refuses to see them & prohibits her doctors from seeing them because rabies vaccines aren't approved for them).

And if I saw one of these dogs in the wild I might think I had seen a wild wolf. But that wouldn't be the case.

There have been three wolves killed here in Missouri. All three have been documented as wild and DNA links them to the large wolf populations in the upper Midwest Great Lakes region. IIRC DNA linked them to the wolves in Wisconsin. Two of them were young males of just over 100 pounds and one was a female that weighed in the mid 90 pound range.

Black panther sightings in North America are a fermented figment of the imagination.

The anti's know that it is way easier to get hunting/trapping stopped if there is ANY endangered predators in locations they target. They target area of high liberal wealth, low population. They are always advocating for relocating wolves, grizzly. Sometimes to habitat that never had significant populations.

Back