Mad Cow Disease in Washington...

d2admin

Administrator
I dunno how fast news is travelling down your way but its movin perdy quick up my way. I just caught wind of it about 5 minutes ago and my buddy who buys and sells meat for a living caught wind of it about an hour ago.

This will be aweful interesting for Canadians to watch.

So far, that buddy of mine who buys and sells meat for a living feels that because its such a big business for the u.s., especially to Japan, that laws are going to get re-written but its gonna hurt ya for a spell first...thats his prediction.

He also finds it amusing as he didn't feel the u.s. was all that helpful when we had the crisis and i suspect many Canadians might feel the same way. Thats life i suppose.

Oh well, hopefully things do change(international laws get re-written) because what dragged on with us sure wasn't necessary...or fair! Hopefully it won't drag on with you guys that way, it really sucks.

Your thoughts...

LD

p.s. i'm assuming this is primarily a u.s. membered forum, although i see many Canucks here

Sounds a little beyond their capabilities?

Its going to be a bad blow to beef around the world and if it keeps happening the entire industry will suffer...we'll be eating chickens and er....deer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif .

I'm sure Canada will be watching this will a fair bit of interest. We'll see how the 'big dog' deals with this situation...maybe we'll be able to learn a thing or two.

LD

The cow that is suspect came from a local dairy here in the Yakima Valley. It was shipped to a small packing plant that buys a lot of "downers" and "shakers" We'll all hear which dairy it came from tomarrow. I already feel sorry for the owner thinking of the hell he is going to be going thru in the near future. Alot of cattlemen have been making a lot of money for once in their lives. Everything is going to change now. I can't say I sympothise with the Canadians cuz they also made money with their subsidized beef industry before the border was closed. Now we'll find out what it feels like when the marketing rug is yanked out from under us. It won't be pretty.

Joe Canadian here. Oh yeaaaah. This is going to be interesting. They said it was only a matter of time until it hit the States. People who live in (or may soon live in) glass houses shouldn't throw rocks. Not throwing any myself, just sitting back and enjoying the discomfort of the U.S. Government. Gotta' say though, I've got no taste for the impact this will have on the individual farmers and their families...won't be a very merry Christmas for them. Ancient Chinese proverb say, "egg belong in foo young, not on face."
Merry Christmas, and Sincere Best Wishes from north of the border.

The meat embargo is due process. It's nothing personal. Japan, Korea, etc. has an obligation to react for the benefit of it's citizens. Just as we did, and just as Canada should also do now. The citizens of these countries should expect, no, demand it. If your Govt. does not act in behalf of it's citizens safety, it isn't doing the job your taxes are paying them to do.

Latest scuttlebutt this AM is the name of the dairyman whose place is under quarintine. Milk pickup is stopped along with all feed deliveries. Even the local rendering plant is closed until further notice.
While you're sitting back watching all this go down, just remember that there is a 99&9/10% chance that this particular cow did in fact come from canada. Wouldn't that twist somebody's shorts.

Originally posted by Kenlguy:
[qb]
While you're sitting back watching all this go down, just remember that there is a 99&9/10% chance that this particular cow did in fact come from canada. [/qb]
How do you figure it came from canada?

tell me something, from what i understand it is still safe to eat? if cooked properly?
I realize the impact on the herd and the livestockmen, but is this meat dangerous to humans?
faw

It doesn't really matter where it came from. The fact is, its here and we have to deal with it...both the U.S. and Canada. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif The fact that the cow came from Canada would be of no surprise to anyone. Reason being, it was surmised the original infected cow came to Canada from a herd in the U.S. :eek:

as i uderstand it Mad cow comes from feeding livestock ground up dead stuff, as in other cows ect. the brain and spinal cord ect. I'm not sure if I'm right dose anybody know, and if its true what is going on with the stockgrowers can't they police their own ranks !!!!

It dosen't matter where the dang thing came from. It is an International problem, we all need to solve it.
Forget the blame game and put some of our best on it from all countries.
2cents
Carl

Originally posted by faw67:
[qb]tell me something... is still safe to eat?.... is this meat dangerous to humans?
faw[/qb]
Mad cow disease, known as bovine spongiform encephalopathy, is dangerous because humans who eat from an infected cow can develop variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. In Britain, 143 people died of it after an outbreak of mad cow in the 1980s.

Well at least now our scientist will get off their butts and find a test for live cattle. Something they should have already done.

The meat industry will have to get back to selective breeding instead of hormonal feeding. Personally I think we've all been asking for trouble with these feed practises for a long time. If folks are afriad of beef they should see what the poultry and swine industry are doing on the factory farms.Jimmie

Since one ingredient in commercialy produced HAMBURGER can be from downed cows DON'T EAT HAMBURGER! Dang, there goes my Whopper addiction.

Have your butcher grind you up some hamburger from stew meat or other cuts of meat, they can adjust the fat content by the selection of meat you choose to grind and add beef suet for taste.

Using these downed cows for burger meat makes me sick! Who knows what the cows died from but it's in there! Yum!

It sounds like there will be better tests for MCD in the future but the use of downer cows for burger meat will continue.

Originally posted by NASA:
[qb]Investigators have traced the origin of the first U.S. cow with mad cow disease to Alberta, Canada.[/qb]
Our industries are one. You could flip a coin on the next case, on both which country gets the next 'bad cow' and then flip the coin again to figure out where the 'bad cow' originated from....last. Who knows maybe some cows have been from one country, into the next and then back again? The border shouldn't close imo, the industry is one. Our cows go your way all the time and your cows come our way...all the time. Risk of harm is likely in the same class as getting hit by lightening...you wouldn't know if if you watched the news and then the dollars disappear. We can come together and fight this COMMON problem/threat, or, we can point finners at one another and cost one another gobs of money...unnecessarily? What do you figure is the better way to go about it? We already know which would be the better way to go...a little 1.5 billion dollar lesson sure helped us figure that out. Maybe after this you'll agree?

LD

p.s. rumor i heard(from another u.s. forum) was that the cow was a maple leaf fan...not a oilers fan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

LD, those weren't MY investigators, LOL. That was the U.S. Food & Drug Admin. doing the investigating. They need to locate the origin of the cow in order to track any other potential carriers. Your Govt. would (should) do the same thing if the situation were reversed. It's their job to protect YOU from food-borne disease. I don't think anyone's pointing fingers. Why do you feel you need to be defensive?

Downers typically go to the petfood industry or to the canner, not in the burger you buy.Beef should be broken fresh at your grocer. Meaning the carcass boned out and trimmed or cut acording to local market wants and needs.Dairy cows are typically marketed at the end of their life as canner or utility( petfood)Jimmie

I am a cattle broker from Canada. This is terrible news on both sides of the border. Yes the infected animal did come from Canada but it was also 2.5 yrs ago a lot can happen in that length of time. That aside this will be a devastaing blow the cattle industry on both sides only problem being Canadian cattle producers have already had one bad deal and for sure this news will thin a few of the shakey ones out. There is no risk to humans unless parts of the brain or spinal cord are eaten. Boneless cuts are safe for consumption. BSE can also be a natural occurence in one out of X numer of cattle I forget the exact # and does not have to come from eating animal by products. Think of it as a rare disease in humans like Lou Gerhigs disease which is quite rare and can show up for no apparent reason. This is what I have heard anyway I may not be right but I have understandably followed this pretty close since my job depends on it. Yes our case the animal came from the US originally yes the first US case came from Canada orig. does it matter? NO! What does matter is getting it all straightened out for the sake of the farmers and our economies. Just remeber beef is safe to eat and do all you can to support your local beef farmers as this is gonna be a tough road ahead for them. Thanks for taking the time to read my ramble!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Back