Dog making some progress

Matt_Low

I have been working with my 5 month old Lacy pup, Levi, on traps and blood trailing in hopes he could help me out on hunting trips. This past weekend I was out on a ranch where we were clearing some does out. I was with this kid, Justin and his Dad, who had never been hunting before.
300410_2296785171900_1017217085_2566543_990009100_n.jpg

On Saturday morning, he shot his first doe which didn't run too far. Then a second eligible doe stepped out so he shot her, but the placement was too far back. After looking for a while we couldnt find her, but I knew she had been hit because I could see it in the video. We grabbed Levi in hopes his training would pay off.
303267_2296783331854_1017217085_2566537_550935272_n.jpg

I took him out of the truck and walked towards where she was shot and he was instantly on something. I let him do his thing, and after several hundred yards where the doe had made several turns, laid down and then gone the other direction, I started losing faith that we would find her. That's when I heard him growling and barking so I rushed to where he was and sure enough, she was there still alive. He kept her at bay, cornered into some mesquite brush long enough for me to get a shot into her.
308719_2296784571885_1017217085_2566540_2100112969_n.jpg

319128_2296806252427_1017217085_2566556_1886568800_n.jpg

I know this is not predator hunting, but I am training him in situations like this to help out when we do get to go calling. Once we shot all the does we had to, we did go out and were able to call in some foxes, but couldn't shoot them unless it was with a bow as per ranch rules.

I too am training a 5 month old pup to hunt, and it is great to hear you are having some success. I sure wish California had doe hunting that I could train mine on.

Hello Matt;
Good to see a Lacy on here,I also own one.Mine has never had any formal training at all.Although she goes to the deer camp every year and has found several deer for hunters.But she goes with me predator hunting but I leave her in the jeep until I might need a recovery or just want to see a good fight.She(Blaze)is smart as a whip when she figures out the object your after.I've took her on hog,squirrel,cat,and just varmint hunting in general.I've had a Lacy on my place of some kind for almost 20 years. They are very smart and savy.
Good Luck
Richard Payne

Kyle- I saw the picture of the buck yours flushed out. Looks like he is turning out well. No does? Some ranches I hunt we have to take of 80-100 every year!

Richard- These Lacys sure are smart. I haven't let mine out on any predators yet because he hasnt mastered the "come" command. He loves coons and squirrels though. When I trap one or see them, I let him get it. Just curious Richard, but any clue on how much yours weighed at 5 months? Mine is at 30 lbs already and I was hoping for 40lbs full grown, but it looks like he will pass that up quickly.

No does... the liberal idiots have decided to let the Moutain Lions, Coyotes and Bobcats "regulate" the deer population. Needless to say the deer population is poor at best.

Nice pics and cool to see the kids involed,Watching them have fun is better than you doing the shooting.The dog looks good and stay after the training

Back