buckshot what choke tube ???

I have had the best luck with a modified choke tube for buckshot in my shotguns. Sometimes with certain 2 3/4" ammo that is buffered I can get a pretty good pattern with a factory full tube. I have fired buckshot both 2 3/4" and 3" magnums in a turkey tube but it seemed like it didn't pattern consistently and wasn't any better than a plain old factory modified tube. You can only make it so tight before you start to deform the pellets and then they dont fly as good as if they stay round.

A constriction of about .040 to .050 appears to work best for Buckshot. I like .040 in all of my shotguns. I use Primos Dead Deer chokes, which are .690 in RemChoke and Invector, and .700 in Invector Plus. The .690 chokes shoot a little tighter for me.

Many turkey chokes have .060 to .075 constriction. This badly deforms the buckshot pellets on their way through the choke, and can blow patterns. But it works OK for some people, in some shotguns.

Most chokes companies reccomend not to shoot shot larger than #2 through a turkey choke(.665). I shoot Indian Creeks .710 with all my large shot and it performs excellent with dead coyote T's

Last edited:
I like about Improved Modified constriction, which is about .025" for #1, 0, 00, and 000 Buck. That works well for what I want large Buck to do for me. For predator hunting loads, that is something else again and none of that large buck is a best choice generally speaking for predators.

MOst of the coyotes that I have shot with a 12ga has been with a std full choke. I have shot hundreds of patterns and all of the full chokes in 870's, 1100's, 11/87's, Ithaca's, Mossburg's have patterned #4 buckshot well.

About 5 years ago, I bought several turkey chokes for use in my 11/87 and the Carlson Turkey choke has 0.060 constriction and will pattern the entire load of #4 buckshot in a 20" pattern at 40 yards, which is fantastic if you are in open areas. The same choke will pattern the 00 and 000 in 15" patterns at 40 yards.

With 15" patterns at 40 yards, you are basically shooging a rifle and you had sure better know the difference between your point of aim and the point of impact, which can vary greatly.

There was a guy on ebay that was making #4 buckshot molds and buckshot made out of straight wheel weights. After buying one, this mold will pattern better than store bought shells. You can also cast out of straight linotype and buckshot will penetrate like nothing you have ever seen or could imagine.

www.ballisticproducts.com has loading data and wads for buckshot. I use a BP 12 gas seal and a BP Pattern driver wad with two slits half way up the wad. Fiochhi 2 3/4" hulls have a lot of capacity and active hulls are even better. Remington 3" hulls are available, also. I load 36 Pellets of super hard #4 buckshot+loaded with 36g of Blue Dot at 1300 fps...this load carries the freight way out there. Another great load is 32 Pellets of #4 with a BB in the center for a total of 11 BB's.

The #4 buckshot is stacked in rows of 4 with a BB in the center, or a row of 4 with another #4 buck in the center.

Used shot shell loaders are easy to find and the Mec Sizemaster is easily adjusted from 2 3/4 to 3" hulls.

Lee sells 00 buckshot molds and they cast great buck shot for those interested in great deer or self defense loads.
I am going to contact Lee and see how much of an order they would have to have to do a group buy on a #4 buckshot mold. PM me if interested.

Thanks

I shoot #4 buck out of a Mossy 500 full choke and it patterns great.

ackleyman, Lee has a #4 buck mold now, too. I might be thinking about grabbing one.

Back