What is the best bobcat leghold trap?

grizjack

Hey everyone, I started trapping in Colorado last year and got 4 cage traps. I went out and through trial and error lucked into catching my first bobcat. I've been extremely excited for trapping season this upcoming year and can hardly wait to set out my traps. Well that thing that keeps us all from doing what we want bit me in the arse. My job transferred me to Utah. The fortunate part of this is I've already bought my Utah bobcat tags and plan to trap my allotted 3 cats in Utah and will bring my live traps with me. I would also like to start running some legholds and snares. The more versatile I can be, the better trapper I will become. So this is my question for all of you. If you were to start a new trapline, focusing on bobcats, what size and style of trap would you use? I've read the regulations for Utah and it requires a 3/16" gap in the trap when fully closed or padded jaws. I've read enough to know that I want to be sure and buy the 4 coiled spring traps but besides that there are so many options I know nothing about. Offset jaws vs. Regular, Brand, Size. I seen many manufacturers claim that there traps will catch bobcat but what is the ideal diameter of jaw opening for bobcats? I would hate to buy something that won't work for me and end up not using it. Any info would be awesome thanks everyone!
168414_516726854409_132800352_30481363_4114652_n.jpg

181988_516726889339_132800352_30481364_6590151_n.jpg

Pics of my first bobcat.

Hopefully I posted them right.

grizjack,

4-coiled is a nice luxury but not absolutely necessary, if your wallet can withstand it, I personally say go for it.

If your talking about there needing to be a gap between the jaws when they are shut, then that is referred to as "offset" jaws. If I understand your post correctly, you would not be able to use "regular" jaws. If you like rubber padding, it's not terrible, just not my thing. They need more trap maintenance down the road.

Originally Posted By: Gomer746MB-650

Or if you don't want to have to take out a second mortgage to buy a dozen.....

Duke #4 have never let me down with a good setup.

To each his own I suppose.

If 4-coils are a must, and offset jaws are legally required, you won't go wrong here....

Click Here

If you don't feel the need for 4 springs, Duke #3 offset jaw or #4 offset jaw, wont go wrong.

Last year I caught two cats in old Victor #3 longsprings and three more in Bridger #3 coil springs (not 4 coiled). This year I've got two dozen Duke #4's to run along with my others. I expect they will do fine.

Don't keep your cages in the shed while running your Utah line. I have cages and use them in Utah to "exclude" coyotes from some of my sets where both critters could be caught. Set up your legholds and then the cage in the same area. Not saying that a cat will come to the cage if a yote is in the foothold, but the other way around happens. The cage also keeps your cat from becoming yote chow.

That said I love my Sleepycreek 1.75 offset 2 coils. Catch cats and coyotes easily.

I run KB 5.5 and MB 650 Me and my buudy with our cats at the Colorado trappers auction (48cats) We got 11 more after the auction
P1000128.jpg

Last edited:
I'm more interested in trapping than trap maintenance so I think I will exclude the padded traps. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I know I can find the Duke traps locally. The rest of them I'll have to search out online and decide what to buy. Paloduro, I don't even know what to say about that picture. Very impressive to say the least. http://hphotos-sea1.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/168414_516726854409_132800352_30481363_4114652_n.jpg
My first bobcat. I caught her last year. Hopefully many more to come!

I would say any quality trap #3 or larger, 4 coiled, offset laminated jaw. Why? Larger kill area,4 coiled makes it faster and it can brake through crusted or lightly frozen ground, offset jaws for more comfortable trap and less paw damage, laminated jaws to offset the power of the 4 coil and more holding power. Just my 2 cents.

Originally Posted By: grizjackI'm more interested in trapping than trap maintenance so I think I will exclude the padded traps. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I know I can find the Duke traps locally. The rest of them I'll have to search out online and decide what to buy. Paloduro, I don't even know what to say about that picture. Very impressive to say the least. http://hphotos-sea1.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/168414_516726854409_132800352_30481363_4114652_n.jpg
My first bobcat. I caught her last year. Hopefully many more to come!

i have used many diffrent traps and i always have liked montgomery 3s and 4s as well as montana 3s i ran kb compunds one year and realy liked them as well. victor long springs are a great trap to. have held alot of cats in montgomery twos in coyote sets but i prefer 3s and above

my first choice would be #3 montana specials. I use alot of #3 dukes. Never had a cat pull out yet. The #2 square jaw montgomerys work good to. Just remember with cats use atleast 3lbs of pan tension, you want that cat to have its body weight on the pan when it fires, it will give you a nice high catch above the pad. I have caught cats by 2 toes and held them just fine.

Originally Posted By: mad trapper 47 J C Connors Jake Trap. The best of the best.

At $370 a dozen, and $195 for 1/2 dozen, you have fun with that.

Maybe if I hit the huge lottery, even then, Duke's do the same thing.
thumbup1.gif

Back