Rem ADL 7mm-08 Youth model good gun

uttrapper

Is the Rem ADL youth in 7mm-08 a good gun for a 14 year old? I have heard that it has the ballistics of a 270 and recoil of a 243. I this true and is the ADL a good model?

My buddy and I use 7mm-08 for ourselves and his 8yr and 12yr old sons. They don't have any problem with the recoil. The length of pull is a little tought on the 8yr old as he is a runt to begin with. Mine is a Remington Model 7 and his is a Stevens 200. As far as ballistics, the 7mm08 should hold its own against the 270 to about 250yds. The long action will likely start showing advantage after that. My opinion is that any long action is a waste out to about 250yds. According to Remington the 270 only has 18ft/lbs of energy more at 250yds and about .6" less drop when both shoot 140gr. Core-Lokts with a 100yd zero. They show the 270 staying pretty close to the 7mm08 when using 140gr. bullets in both on out to 700yds with un-noticable difference in speed, energy, and trajectory. Of course, I think 140gr. in a 270 is a little heavy for caliber on average as many shoot 130gr. bullets around here. Once you drop back to 130 you see a slight speed advantage. The 7mm08 has a little more recoil than my 243, but I think it should be very manageable for a 14yr old.

No experience with ADL's. I've only shot the BDL and DM models of the 700. It should be fine though. There's a few on here that prefer the cleaner lines of the ADL and the simplicity and weight savings of them.

Nothing wrong with the 7-08 at all. My gf shoots one. It is a joy to shoot. Mild recoil, and flattens deer.

The same can be said about the adl. I have both ADL and BDL. I'm assuming you're talking about the synthetic adl? Mine is an older wood stocked model. I don't have any experience with the synthetic but if it is anything like mine, you have a winning combination.

Back