Which one Cimarron or Comanche nat. Grasslands

yotesmokerz

My brother and I are planning a trip up to Cimarron or comanche National Grasslands for some hunting. Which one would y'all choose due to pressure and visitors.

Is the yote hunting any good around there?

Are there many p-dogs around there?

It will be a yote hunting trip but would not mind walking up on a town of p-dogs and busting a few.

I have been checking and have found what I believe is correct but if I am wrong please let me know. I have read that yotes can be hunted year round and I would need the $72 hunting liscense to hunt. If I have missed anything let me know. I know Colorado can get one day for $11 and the others for $5. Thanks

Last edited:
Yotesmokerz, I have not been there but I went to western Oklahoma last weekend and talked with the Game Warden in Cimarron Co. He is a big coyote hunter (trys to bag 100 per season). We talked coyotes for 20 mins and let him know I was planning a trip out west. He strongly suggested The Kansas Cimarron Grasslands. He said it is HUGE and gets no pressure. He stated that the river has deep draws that feed up into the fields and the coyotes pop right out of them. Sounded so good we thougth about going this fall. As far as prairie dogs go....I know they are way way down from the drought and the plauge. He said and we saw that it is super hit and miss on them. We found a few here and there but I think you have to head west for better numbers. Let us know how your trip goes and you might try calling some of the game wardens in the area and picking thier brain.....Brent

I have no idea on yote numbers, but know for fact that the plague has had major impact on prairie dog numbers. Also, that area is extremely drouthy right now and had a 17000 acre fire go through this spring. Not sure how that will affect hunting, but thought the info might do you some good. Good luck.

yotesmokerz, You will do pretty good in that area, I was down there a few months ago doing some work and passed alot of tracks and scat on the roads..

The Comanche National Grasslands would be my pick. The Cim National Grasslands has been hit hard. I was down there not long ago....that place is just struggling since the plague swept through there.

yotesmokerz :: Cimarron Grasslands is my first pick for yotes been there 100 of times and do good ever trip.
few P-dogs.
beware the wild hogs are hiting that country hard.
fish and game dept. u can not kill any hogs on public land !
u get ready to head that way give a shout may be around there myself.
we do alot of bowfishing around ur country too and hunting.

Back