221 FireBall

HOGGHEAD

Guys I have ran across a pretty good deal on a 221 Fireball rifle(Cooper). However I know very little about the cartridge.

I have been in the market for a 22 Hornet, or 22 Hornet based cartridge. I am mainly looking for a short distance ground hog rig(to 200 yards). And my main attraction to the Hornet is a good quiet effective round for ground hogs.

It appears as if the case capacity for the FireBall is about 50% more than the 22 hornet. But I am assuming I could load the FireBall down a bit with RL-7 powder.

My real interest lies in how quiet can I make this round. I have read why it was given the name Fireball. Which leads me to believe there is a good bit of muzzle blast. But I also believe the cartridge was designed for a handgun. So a rifle should tame that muzzle blast??

Do you think the Fireball would be a reasonable replacement for the Hornet for trying to keep the noise down?? Thanks, Tom.

I think that if you load it with a faster powder such as AA1680/Lil Gun/H-4198/Reloder 7 and a 40gr bullet it will become your favorite gun to shoot. The recoil and noise are very mild to me.

Tom, I do some prairie dog shooting and have got to use a suppressor some, and I am convinced that they are the way to go if they are legal to have and hunt with. Sure, they cost the same as a new rifle, but they can be put on multiple rifles if the rifles are set up for one, and they are also fairly effective as a brake. I am hoping to be able to buy one for myself one of these days. I have no experience with the 221 fireball, but do have the 17 version. It is not as loud as a 223, but it does bark pretty good. I have never heard a hornet, so can give you no real comparison there. However, a suppressed fireball is a pretty amazing tool on varmints. Wish I was of more help with personal experience on a direct comparison.

From what I understand the FireBall was designed for a handgun. So I probably could cut the barrel shorter and add a suppressor to the rifle. This should still give me pretty good performance and the rifle should not be too long??

I am just not sure if I like the idea of shortening the barrel on a Cooper?? Tom.

Originally Posted By: venaticI think that if you load it with a faster powder such as AA1680/Lil Gun/H-4198/Reloder 7 and a 40gr bullet it will become your favorite gun to shoot. The recoil and noise are very mild to me.

I agree with that, but would like to add IMR-4227 to the list. It works real well in a Rem 600, .222Rem., 18" barrel. BTW, the "fireball" was dubbed out of the Remington XP-100 pistol with a 11"-15" barrel. With 20"-24" barrel a much different cat emerges.

I have had .223s, 22-250s, etc. The .221 fb is my favorite at the moment. Muzzle blast IMO it is not as loud as the .223. But it still has a good crack to it. Mine is a 24" bbl rem 700 LS.

I load mine with a 50g Sierra SP, and 18.5 g of Rl-7.

Like venatic said. It will most likely become your most favorite gun. Idk why anyone would pick the hornet over a .221.

The case alone o's too cute, and from what I'm seeing, brass life is very good

Go with a nice Hornet or you will never know what you've missed out on! I'd think the difference in noise level would be quite noticeable. A good 45gr soft point in the Hornet will anchor coyotes, fox, and bobcat without ever having to worry about damaging fur! Also, the Hornet(when reloaded) can be one of the cheapest rounds to shoot. What is there not to like about the Hornet?

Originally Posted By: Ricky Bobby What is there not to like about the Hornet?

The brass in general. The .221 can be loaded down to Hornet velocities or up much faster. Much better to load for as well IMO.

I have never reloaded for the Fireball, but I just can't imagine it being easier to load for! The Hornet has barely any shoulder to speak of, which when it's being resized, would mean less resistance & longer brass life. Also, getting back to the OP's main concern, the Hornet would win hands down when noise level is a deciding factor!

Nothing wrong with a hornet, is has a strong and faithful following. But to ME THE 221 just makes sense. Plus the 22 hornet is just plain fugly lol.

Did I mention how darn cute the case is??

.223 for comparison
f9f4440c.jpg

This is the handgun that the 221 FB was debuted in during the 1960's - actually 1963. It is the Remington XP100 bolt action pistol. This one is scoped and the iron sights have been removed.

RemingtonXP-100.jpg

Then in 2002 it was the Remingotn 700 Classic rifle cartridge for that year. This started a new interest in the cartridge. CZ later chambered for the cartridge in rifles as did Remington. Even in a rifle it is a bit louder than the 22 Hornet in a comparable length barrel.

Ive had the fireball and the hornet both in 10" barrels

The fireball barrel gave me some trouble in my particular frame so it went down the road. so not a ton of experience there.

I also shoot the hornet out of a 16" barrelled H&R.

The hornet is a bit softer on the ears, but quiet is a relative term really, to whom or what?

The neighbors may appreciate it more, I dont think the ground hogs are gonna notice the difference. as for the shooter, should be wearing hearing protection anyway lol.

Good luck

I Think the .221 is pretty mellow out of the XP 100. My interest has also leaned toward the newer 5.7x28 that Savage has just chambered a rifle in. It is about between the .17 & .221 fireball

I have both a 22 Hornet and a 221 fireball, I load both with 40 grain bullets and Lil Gun powder, there is about two and one half grains difference in the powder charge. The fireball seems a little loader but not by much. The hornet will do about 2900 fps with the 40 grain and the fireball will do about 3300 or a little better. Which do I like the best? Whichever one I am shooting at the time. I am still convinced a person should own at least one of every caliber because it is the only way you can tell the difference. By the way I don't but it is still a good goal.

I have both the Hornet and the Fireball and think the 221 Fireball would be a little better out at 200 yards.

As for quiet, the Hornet might be quieter but I don't think by much.

BTW, don't cut the Cooper.

I have had Hornets and Fireballs. I no longer have any Hornets but have multiple Fireballs. The 221 is hands down favorite.

Back