Anybody try Superformance Powder for 22-250?

Dixiedog1

Anybody try Superformance powder with 50 gr Vmaxes in 22-250? Picked some up yesterday along with the Hunter powder...I've seen the factory ammo with a 50 gr V Max in the 4k velocity range...reports for that ammo were very good so when I saw the Superformance powder I decided to give it a try. I checked out Hodgon's site and only see info on 60 gr loads.
confused.gif

its not the same powder that comes in the factory superformance ammo. they use a special blend. this info came from one of my buddies who works in the r&d department for hornady. his name is actually one of the three that hornady gives a special thanks to in their new loading manual.

That sucks...I guess I don't know why they use the same name...it implies it to be the same powder.
thumbdown.gif
Looks like another powder that gets tossed to the back of the bench until I need to develop a new .243 load.

Guess I'll have to pick up a jug of IMR 8208 next and see how it goes...Varget and H380 are both doing OK but not great. I'll try changing primers and varying seating depth and if I can't get what I want out of it I'll try the IMR powder. Thanks for the info.
thumbup.gif

H380 is the ticket if you want accuracy, not to mention great velocity and has been for ages.
39.0 grains with a 50 grain nosler BT.

What good does it do to miss your target as fast as you can?

I think there is more accuracy to be had than H380 was giving me, I couldn't break a 1.25" 5 shot group with it. The only thing I didn't try that in hindsight might help is using magnum primers instead of standard. Maybe I'll go back with H380 under a Vmax and try it again with a magnum primer.

Every gun is different could be that, saying that I lived a mile and a half from Hornadys factory in G.I. and shot a lot of their bullets and I always end up shooting Noslers.
smile.gif

I can get them to shoot with any powder.
If you can get a good group with varget I would go with that as it is a non temp sensitive powder. I say that because I shoot a lot OVER 400 yards and love to dial it in and it is real easy to do when you have a stable powder with consistent velocity.
Looking at your first post though it seemed velocity was the issue.

Originally Posted By: TURBO6046Guess I'll have to pick up a jug of IMR 8208 next and see how it goes...Varget and H380 are both doing OK but not great. I'll try changing primers and varying seating depth and if I can't get what I want out of it I'll try the IMR powder. Thanks for the info.
thumbup.gif

35.0gr of 8208 and a 55gr pill net me 3745fps. out of a 24" tube, and 3 out of 5 shots were duplicates on the chrono. Are you floated, bedded ect...?

Originally Posted By: TURBO6046Originally Posted By: Smokeless Are you floated, bedded ect...?

No it's an Encore and it's stock.

24", or "26" heavy [Pro Hunter?] I assume it's a rifle.? I have found that a lot of accuracy issues with the encore or any break action for that matter, has alot more to do with your brass prep than other things. Your cases must be OAL checked, and on every reloading the shoulder must be bumped back .001-.002. The action does not lock down like a bolt gun does, and therefor the brass must be as close to right as you can get every time. The "lock up" has to be the same every time, or accuracy suffers. Also, resting the forearm to far out [or close to the tip of the forend] will cause problems as well. Try resting as close to the action as possible when shooting from the bench, this will also help too.

This barrel is a 24" standard barrel. I was using a bipod but just pulled out my rifle rest so I can rest right up near the action, I'll see if it makes a difference. With my muzzleloader and 444 Marlin Pro Hunter barrels the bipod worked well but this barrel may be different.

Originally Posted By: TURBO6046Anybody try Superformance powder with 50 gr Vmaxes in 22-250? Picked some up yesterday along with the Hunter powder...I've seen the factory ammo with a 50 gr V Max in the 4k velocity range...reports for that ammo were very good so when I saw the Superformance powder I decided to give it a try. I checked out Hodgon's site and only see info on 60 gr loads.
confused.gif

I was going to buy the powder and roll my own but read what has been posted about the factory rounds not using the superformance branded powder.

That being said, the first group I shot, of the factory Superformance .22-250, from my Model 10 26" 1 in 12" varmint bbl at 100yds was .628. The second group was .255 at 200yds. Haven't used the rest of the box.

38.0grns of H380 with 52grn A-Max's results in groups of .700-.800 at 200yds for the same rifle. That's the size of an eyeball. I don't own a chrono so I'm not sure at all what the MV is.

Sorry TURBO, I wasn't very clear. I meant to say that your "head space" should be measured, and the shoulder of your brass be bumped back .001-.002. Are you doing this, or FL sizing, or neck sizing only? Also what are your group patterns like? More of a "shot" pattern, or are they more of a string?

ive tried alotta different powders and always come back to h380 and varget.lately ive tried 4895,4064,rl15 none of them shoot very good groups.h380 i can get anything to shoot very good with.infact the only load ive found for the barnes 50gr tsx is 37.5 to 38 gr of h380.so far ive found sierra 55gr gk,, speer 55gr sp,speer tnt all shoot great with h380.only problem is my groups open up with h380 when it gets real cold out

Originally Posted By: SmokelessSorry TURBO, I wasn't very clear. I meant to say that your "head space" should be measured, and the shoulder of your brass be bumped back .001-.002. Are you doing this, or FL sizing, or neck sizing only? Also what are your group patterns like? More of a "shot" pattern, or are they more of a string?

I neck size only. It's more of a shot type pattern than a string.

Here is a LINK To Mike Bellm's page with a better explanation of what could be helpful. If not, it gives you a better understanding of what is needed to make T/C's shoot there best. BTW Mike Bellm probably knows more about the T/C system than Thompson Center does. IMO.

I've loaded Superformance for my new 22-250AI....consistent velocities in excess of 4100 FPS with a 52 Grain A-Max and very accurate. I had other powders I was going to try, but after this shot so well, I didn't even try any other powder or bullets.

Not sure how it will handle temperature difference. I use a lot of Varget, but figured I'd give this a try. I also like VVN, but didn't have any on-hand that would work for the 22-250AI. I use it in my .17 Mach IV and 6mm AI and haven't found a powder yet that is as consistent in velocity strings.

FWIW....the Hodgdon site specifically states this is the powder used to make the Hornady Superformance Ammunition; in this day and age of lawyers and lawsuits I doubt they would make that claim if it weren't true.

Check out bellms and order you a trigger kit and new hinge pin. Alot of reading there on how and why TC guns do what they do and how to tweak them.and make them the best the can be

Back