Hunting Gear

B. Miller

I really struggled finding a spot to put this thread, but being that geographically this is the coldest region, I thought I would put it here
laugh.gif

Before hunting season last year my stuff was getting really worn out. I replaced my parka with a really nice gore tex, scent loc, blah blah blah that will be plenty to keep my upper body nice and toasty. I just replaced my bibs with a pair of gore-tex MT050 pants from Cabela's (they were a great price), but they aren't insulated. I figured I could just get a nice pair of insulated pants to wear underneath and save money, because the insulated version was $100 more. I already have a pair of under armour thermal pants and long sleeve shirt, so my 1st baselayer is set.

What would you recommend for a good heavy/medium weight base layer? I would really like to keep it under $50.

Here is something that caught my eye.

I think you are on the right track. I use fleece wader pants, similar to the wool ones you linked to. They work very well under breathable waders in ice cold water and even better under my bibs for hunting in extreme cold (which is 10 degrees, or below for me)

I have a pretty good lead..a member from another forum is offering to sell me his filson wool pants for $40 bucks. They are a little big, but I figured I could have them hemmed.

If its really cold I wear long johns( not the $100 Under Armor set, as they are no warmer) and a tee shirt. Over that my pants and a good weight long sleave shirt. Next, my carhartt insulated bibs and jacket. Finally my white wind/water proof coverups. Spend the extra money on wind/water resistant cover ups. It makes everything you wear underneath better. Also its all about the layers. Wool socks are key as well, but make sure to read the label and make sure they are a high % of merino wool (75-85% is good) most are only 15% or so and they still call them wool socks.

Thanks for the help fellas. I thought about carhart pants/sweats actually.

Redot all of my outerwear is goretex
thumbup.gif

I ended up getting the filson wool pants. I figured for $40 the deal was too good to pass up
smile.gif

ahhhhh where in the blue **** did you get some filsons for $40???????? I love filson, old school quality that works........but man are they expensive!

I use goretex jackets for fishing, but for hunting coyotes I prefer fleece for upper body top layer - no scratchy noises against brush/branches.

Originally Posted By: gman2153 I prefer fleece for upper body top layer - no scratchy noises against brush/branches.

+1
Cottons or fleece. I have seen game spooked by noisy jackets.

Originally Posted By: REDOTahhhhh where in the blue **** did you get some filsons for $40???????? I love filson, old school quality that works........but man are they expensive!

A very nice fella on another forum happened to be selling a pair he couldn't fit into anymore. He said they were hardly used and in very good shape. But at $40 bucks who cares! They are a little big so I'm going to have my mom hem them a little
smile.gif

Stay away from cotton under Gore-tex, the cotton will absorb all of the moisture your body produces. The MTO50 has great wind blocking ability but if your insulation layer is wet you will get cold fast. Fleece or wool will move the moisture to the surface of the fabric where the Gore-tex will allow some of the water vapor to escape.
Below zero the MTO fabric will loose some of it's flexibility and get a noisy crunch to it. But oterwise it is a good fabric.

KC

The cold weather long johns and top from Cabelas, Insulated jeans from fleet farm or who ever and a carhardt coat. Good down to about -10 F

Originally Posted By: KayceeStay away from cotton under Gore-tex, the cotton will absorb all of the moisture your body produces. The MTO50 has great wind blocking ability but if your insulation layer is wet you will get cold fast. Fleece or wool will move the moisture to the surface of the fabric where the Gore-tex will allow some of the water vapor to escape.
Below zero the MTO fabric will loose some of it's flexibility and get a noisy crunch to it. But oterwise it is a good fabric.

KC

Thanks! Yeah I usually wear just a beater, under armor, and a big parka. I'm changing it up this year. I have under armor pants, nice filson wool pants and a water proof scent blocker gore tex shell pants, so my bottom half will be set. This year, unless it's really really cold, i'm just going to use the outer layer of the MTO50 parka and my under armor thermals and a wool jacket.

Back