223 vs 22-250 vs 204

probably not going to make it in a 204 at that price

223 or 22-250 in savages stevens/edge/axis or whatever they call them now will fit your budget well.

Watch a friend of mine chase a yote near 2 miles one day after hitting it with his 250 at about 200yds. shot placement is key with any of them

i bought my .223 savage edge/axis for 329 with a scope out the door. sub 1"groups at 100 yards. very nice, put an aftermarket trigger on it as well

Originally Posted By: joedAt 350 yards you've already eliminated my least favorite cartridge the .223. It's a 200 yard cartridge, 225 at best.

My choice would be the .22-250, it's good past 350 yards and has more killing power then the .204 at long range.

Funny how we shoot 1000 yard targets with the lowly .223. I guess we should stop doing that. Nah. . . . .it's too fun.

Do the math on the .204 for ft/lbs of energy.

Surprising what b.c. can do.

Originally Posted By: tripod3I prefer the .22-250 for all ranges. Have had a few runners with it even at closer range that would not happen with the 250.
The .223 is easier to see shots with less recoil.

Au contraire- A bad shot with a 22-250 produces the same performance as a bad shot with a .223 on a coyote. All the while giving you more recoil, noise, and pelt damage

Originally Posted By: getfoxyOriginally Posted By: tripod3

Au contraire- A bad shot with a 22-250 produces the same performance as a bad shot with a .223 on a coyote. All the while giving you more recoil, noise, and pelt damage

This is all true, however the 22-250 will shoot quite a bit flatter at extended ranges.

Last edited:
Anyone who thinks a 223 wont do it at 350 is fooling them self. Do the calculations and at that distance the drop between a 22-250 and 223 isnt enough to make a miss.

Originally Posted By: hunter97Dont really want to go that route..... can you guys recoomend a good rifle in one of those calibers under $375 or so

the savage edge/axis line has both .223 and .22-250, and my local walmart has the .22-250 for $267 and i bought the .223 model from them last year and i love it. according to the site the only difference between them is that the .223 has a 1 in 9" twist and the .22-250 has a 1 in 12" twist, only thing i personally dont like is that the bases that come with it are a bit too far apart for me

Originally Posted By: joedAt 350 yards you've already eliminated my least favorite cartridge the .223. It's a 200 yard cartridge, 225 at best.

My choice would be the .22-250, it's good past 350 yards and has more killing power then the .204 at long range.

Our yearly qualifications in the Marine Corps were out to 500 yards.

If it's a combat effective range to kill a man its plenty good enough for a coyote.

So please do explain yourself.

The Stevens/Savage platform is an inexpensive, accurate & versatile one to start with. For your uses, get the 223, and when you see it blowing foxes apart, get a 17 bbl. for it, and change calibers yourself.

I remember someone in the military telling me that the effective range of a .223 is 300 meters. 984 ft. Effective meaning potential to kill a 160lb human. I could be wrong though.

One of the guys in a recent coyote contest mentioned he had a 470yd shot on a coyote. Killed it.

YMMV.

Originally Posted By: getfoxyOriginally Posted By: tripod3I prefer the .22-250 for all ranges. Have had a few runners with it even at closer range that would not happen with the 250.

Yes sir Gary. Good post.

Originally Posted By: Heretic

I remember someone in the military telling me that the effective range of a .223 is 300 meters. 984 ft. Effective meaning potential to kill a 160lb human. I could be wrong though.

One of the guys in a recent coyote contest mentioned he had a 470yd shot on a coyote. Killed it.

YMMV.

550 meters at a point target (one person). 800 meters on an area target (group of people clustered together).

Last edited:
Quote:Originally Posted By: tripod3
I prefer the .22-250 for all ranges. Have had a few runners with it even at closer range that would not happen with the 250.

This is kind of a chopped misquote. Have had a few runners with the .223.
A bad shot is just that..
However a little field experience with different bullets will show runners with certain bullets at the slower speed of the .223 while using the exact same bullet or nearly any bullet at .22-250 speeds will produce quicker kills. This is one reason the .22-250 shows more authority.

This is not a new occurrence exclusive to me or my ability to shoot. It is a field observation also posted by others in the past generally in the perspective of bullet performance or directly with the .223 caliber.
Some like Byron South addressed this by going up to a 60 gr vmax. However some barrel twists do not favor this bullet selection especially most factory .22-250 at 1-14 twist.
Consequently the bullets I often use don't perform as well in .223 caliber with lower speed/energy.

Stop gut shooting them, and they'll stop running away.

Learn where the real vitals are, not where "grandad always said" to aim or how the military brainwashed you.

Originally Posted By: Mike21Originally Posted By: Heretic

YMMV.

550 meters at a point target (one person). 800 meters on an area target (group of people clustered together).

Thanks for the info, Mike.
thumbup.gif
I learn something new every day!

Back