Bedding a remington stock???

MPFD

I shoot a group this weekend with my Remington 700 BDL in .243 with my old standby to fowl the barrel before I tried a new load (load wasn't any good BTW). While I am happy with the results from a stock sporter grade hunting rifle with a 3-9x40 scope and trigger adjustment. I wonder if I was to bed it into the remington wood if it might tighten up my groups slightly. I have a buddy at work that says the two close sets of bullets in the five shot group are from slight recoil shift in the stock. What do you guys think? I am looing for your opinions.
243group.jpg

Last edited:
After looking at my brass I found a piece that was not from the same lot. The 4 close shots were all WW super brass and the flyer was from a FC frontier.

I've never seen a rifle yet that hasn't benefitted from having the barrel free floated. Remington in all their years still hasn't learned about bedding.

It has the epoxy bed on the action it came with but I sanded out the barrel channel and sealed it. I am thinking I'm gonna try it. I was hoping for some of the custom owners to chime in.

Originally Posted By: MPFDI has the epoxy bed on the action it came with but I sanded out the barrel channel and sealed it. I am thinking I'm gonna try it. I was hoping for some of the custom owners to chime in.

Are you saying that it is bedded and free floated and you are going to bed it again?

It has never been bedded other then the epoxy skim that remington dobbed in before setting the barrel in the stock. When I got it there were three spots about the size of a half doller each. Two undet the fron and rear where the stcok bolt to the action and one I sanded out on the barrel over where the swivel stud screws in. And yes I would be removing that and doing a full action bedding job that includes the recoil lug.

I would definitely do it, ecspecially on a wood stock. I would also drill it out and install pillars if it does not already have them. Bed the pillars as well.

Every Remington I've had, and granted that's limited to 4 or so, required removal of the pressure pad and bedding. All btw shoot awesome after that.

Remember it's a stock sporter grade hunting rifle with a 3-9x40 scope, and it shoot's plenty good enough for a huntimg rifle, and all the work it take's Might or Might Not help it any, I would leave it alone and use it for what it is entended for...

i don't even shoot mine until they are bedded,no matter what stock they have.rem's are easy to bed.just goggle pillar bedding or bedding a rifle. you should be able to find some good articles with pictures that will help.i did it just now and one of the first ones up was for remington

Last edited:
The load seems pretty solid with a 85 g. HPBT Gameking at just under 3300 fps. I'm ready to grab at straws to close it up a little, even if just a little. Trigger is good as I heve ever seen at 26 oz. and breaks perfect. A good bed job and recrown are all I have left, I don't think it needs a crown...

Originally Posted By: reddog964Remember it's a stock sporter grade hunting rifle with a 3-9x40 scope, and it shoot's plenty good enough for a huntimg rifle, and all the work it take's Might or Might Not help it any, I would leave it alone and use it for what it is entended for...

Very true!!

Now on the flip side, I'm a guy that can't stand to leave something stock, whether it helps or hurts it. I say do it, if nothing else, you'll learn something new. I think adding pillars is the most important thing to do on a wood stock. The wood will distort over time(shrink or expand) but the pillars won't.

Back