Anyone eat Squirrel's?

When I was younger, I used to eat squirrels all the time.
Them & cottontails both.
I, (or my Mom before I moved out), would either fry them like chicken, or cook them all day in a crock pot, on "low".
Usually, when I crocked them, I would then make "squirrel & noodles". Mmm-Mmm.

HECK YA! There are two ways to skin them out, the hard way and the fast way. I reccomend going on youtube and watching people do it, it will save you a lot of time. Just get some garden sheers and cut off all the quarters. Soak them in buttermilk over night, batter, fry, enjoy. Or throw them in a stew/gumbo. SO GOOD, you just made me hungry.

You guys know what? I was really questioning myself about some pulling my leg here. But with all of the responses I just may be convinced.

My only issue if I eat one I will never look at them the same. Squirrel=dinner. Not just for throwing golf balls at on the course.

I quarter them, soak them in salt water over night in the fridge to pull the blood out, and fry 'em in bacon grease. Yummy.

Originally Posted By: Mike21I quarter them, soak them in salt water over night in the fridge to pull the blood out, and fry 'em in bacon grease. Yummy. X2

Im with 22-250 Ohio good hut not as good as rabbit. I boil them until tender then put them in a skillet with a little butter and fry until a lttle crisp. Then use the waer and corn meal and buttr and make squirrel gravy, Pour the gravy over white bread and mmmmmmm.

When I was in college if we came across a rabbit or squirrel it went in the bag with the pheasants and ducks. I thought they were good eating and prepared them with pheasant most of the time. At that time we normally just tossed them in the crockpot with the cooking sauce of the day. Sometimes a quick pan fry first.

My daddy makes them in a cream gravy with fresh mushrooms over potatos. And boy it don't get no better then a couple plates full of that. Oh how i wish i had more time to get out.

my buddy bakes them in the oven until tender and they fall off the bone.
then he takes all the meat off the bone and makes his favorite BBQ sauce and mixes the cooked meat and sauce together!
put it on a bun and you talk about good!!!!

i am going to try and put some in the smoker this winter and see how that goes!

actually, squirrel hunting with a pellet gun is the only way for me to quell my itch to hunt when im stuck in floridian suburbia on a day to day basis. In the last 3 days after school i have shot 7 and eaten 1, the rest are in the fridge. To tell you the truth, that was my first taste of squirrel. I browned it in some olive oil, then stewed it w/ a can of chicken noodle soup and it turned out alright.

Fry the young tender ones. You can tell the difference when you skin them.
And as TXCOONDOG, said skwerl and dumplings for the old ones.
Now I'm hungry,where's my gun?

Shayne

Okay, I thought about making a new thread; but this one kinda covers it. So, ground squirrels VS tree squirrels. Been thinking about squirrel hunting; seems like it would be a lot of fun. We have a ton of ground squirrels around here. I read above that some say not to eat them; and others say it's okay. My dad's from Iowa, has eaten just about everything
lol.gif
, loves squirrel; but says the ground squirrels are very dirty animals and aren't good to eat. They eat anything, carry diseases; and don't taste as good as tree squirrels. Tree squirrels are safer to eat, because they live in trees and have a more selective diet; so they taste better. Well? What say you? Haven't tried squirrel, would like to; and seems like a good time.

Arden

I used to eat them tree rats when I was younger. Then there was the scare with people eatin the brains getting sick. I just don't care for squirrel. Don't eat them anymore.

Back