Michigan archery opener 2011 !!!!!!!

Tim Neitzke

My home state archery deer opened Oct 1 and my wife and I were eager to hit woods. Friday night at work had me wondering as it was raining and very windy,not ideal weather for a morning hunt. I got home approx 11:45pm Friday night to find Jen (my wife) cooking pies to take to her land owner friends on Sat morning. I double checked my gear and packed the truck for my adventure. Finally getting to bed and just a few short hours my alarm went off. Dang already ,I thought. Got showered up and dressed in camo we hit the door running. Jen went her way and I went mine.Sweet no rain ,but windy still.
As I made a short drive to my Grandfathers farm I thought, Wow
my 28th year of deer hunting! As I drove I wondered ,well what will it be this season ? I hunt a small piece of land and it has heavy pressure all around. Right then I thought ,it doesn't matter going hunting would be just good enough . Thanks Grandpa for giving me a place to hunt all this time.
I made my way to the stand which I new very well and tied in for the morning. Day break came and went with a few squirrels and a lone doe. About 8:30am I saw a smallish buck coming toward me ,so I got ready just in case ! Soon a second buck ,a bigger one and big enough for me appeared! I drew and as he stopped I let one fly.WACK ! down he goes and starts blatting. Crap ! high shoulder/spine ,so I gave him another to finish.
Excited and mad about my shot at the same I head up to get help. I peered into my grandpa and grandma's porch window as they sipped coffee . My grandpa spotted me and got that big grin he has so many times over the years. "Did you get one ?" Yep ! Good he says. I called my dad and we went to retrieve him. Not huge but nice for my area. What a great morning !
IMG_0637.jpg

I stopped by the place Jen hunts and showed the our friends the deer as we waited for Jen to come up. We all had a good chat and Jen was happy I got deer. Well almost happy,mostly because I got one first.lol We went home got pics and hung him up. Lunch and a nap soon followed. A few hours latter she was up and ready to go,she always goes much earlier that me. I drove down with her and walked in so I could put out a little mineral and corn ,so maybe I could get a doe or 2 in range for her. She climbed up and I headed out back home. After an hour or so I got ready and headed back to my spot. As I drove by her farm I saw a buck coming from the woods headed for the road. He was standing in a soybean field proly 150yards from the black top. Just then I thought he's leaving Jens area ! I turned my truck around and stopped to look him over. Before I could get my binos out he was running back to the woods,Nice maybe Jen will see him. I stopped in and told the land owners and to watch for him. Then I was on my way to hunt once again.

Dark came with only a few doe and I headed for my truck. There was a note on my stearing wheel that Jen shot a buck ! No ,could it be ?? I called her and she was excited as one could be. "It's big !" she says. I told her how I had seen it and turned it back to her. Major brownie points ! A few of us gathered up and went to look. I asked my typical ?'s; Where did you hit it and how far was it,etc. She said it was hit good and we went in after it. A short tracking job produced this dude ! The biggest buck she,or I had ever killed !
I'm so happy and jealous at the sane time. What a great buck !
IMG_0643.jpg

Nice Job Jen ! It's a good one and will be hard to top.
18 1/8" outside 13 pt and 160# dressed.
Way bigger than mine AGAIN ! lol
Thanks for reading and shareing our day.

Tim and Jen.

HOMBanner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome hunts. Congrats to both of you for getting it done. Sometimes it takes a little team work. Looks like tenderloin for supper this weekend.

Oh, and Tim, you got beat by a girl, LOL. Had to get that in there
tt2.gif
. Great bucks both of you.

as always great write up tim! Your living the good life my man! tell the wife i said congrats on getting a bigger deer than you AGAIN! haha jk man I look forward to your pictures and write ups every archery season, great motivation and thanks for the tips!

Lonnie

Back