Burris Handgun scopes with Posi-Lock

mac805

I am looking at a Burris 2x20mm handgun scope for a Ruger Super Blackhawk hunter .44 mag. Burris lists the scopes with and without the Posi-Lock feature. Does anyone have any good or bad experience with the Posi-Lock scopes.

The Posi-Lock versions are a little tougher to find, particularly in nickel finish, so is it worth the extra effort and money to get one?

I tried to sight one in for a buddy on a used Encore barrel in 204 Ruger. That posi-lock scope was junk. I finally got a group at 25yds on a 3' piece of cardboard. The click adjustments had no bearing on the point of impact. It eventually ran out of adjustment at about 6" high of center. I'm guessing the previous owner tried turning the knobs with the lock on and boogered up the turrets. In my opinion, a good scope won't need a mechanical lock to prevent shift. I'd go without the lock if possible. Burris usually makes good stuff, not sure why they introduced the lock, gimic sales maybe.

I sold all but a couple burris scopes. Owned some posi-locks. I have had bad luck with Burris optics. That said, none of the scopes I sold were handgun scopes, and none of them had any problems with the posi-locks.

I like the pistol you have there. Good all around hunting gun. But, I would highly recommend a matte black scope. JMO.......

What about the Nikon Encore line? I've looked through them and they seem nice. My quick search suggests they are around the same price as the Burris'.

Don't look past the Vortex Crossfire EER! I have one on my 44 and love it. Holds zero, nice eye relief and great glass. Joe Bobs has em for $95 shipped after your PM discount!!

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not set on the color, or the scope for that matter. Particularly since the nickel seems to run about $20 more most places.

The nickel is also way harder to unload, should you choose to do so one day. And it never matches steel anyway..........

Burris makes a better pistol scope, than they do a riflescope, IMO........

Luepy if you want the best (Eyerelief and easy of eye placement). If your not shooting that far a Red dot best way to go.

I like the Burris 2X pistol scopes and all of mine(7 of them) are in the silver finish. My handguns are stainless. I think the silver scopes look much better on a SS gun than a blue/black one even if the silver dosen't match the SS perfectly. If you get the posi-lock, it doesn't have to be locked down. The adjustments are solid without it. As stated before, I don't see the need for it. My scopes are from the late 80's and I have confidence in Burris. I have one Leupold(silver 2X pistol) and like the Burris scopes much better. It seems the Burris have a larger field of view. All are 2X. They are all on .44 mag revolvers and have held up for 25 years. The Ruger Super Blackhawk is a great revolver. I have one in the Hunter version(comes with scope rings)and a standard one that I had drilled and tapped for a scope.
thumbup.gif

Flyrodder

Last edited:
I use a 2x7 on my 7-30 waters (contender) great scope,Iuse the posi lock ad so far the scope hasn't needed any adjustment but chances are it wouldn't have needed adjusting anyway.

Back