My pups first deer season

Norcalkyle

We just finished out deer season and my new McNabb who is now 5 months old did so much better than I expected. About 2 weeks ago we were hunting a very large and steep canyon that is one of our best producing areas on the property. We had seen a very big buck in the thickest part of the canyon which is about 80 acres of heavy timber. 3 times we have seen him from a distance, but have never been able to get him out of the trees into the open.

Reno had been doing very good all deer season considering how young he is, jumping and chasing deer and had also located two dead bucks that none of us could find after hours of looking. He tracked one crippled buck over 400 yards off of 2 drops of blood and a 4 hour old trail.

So I take him through the timber and sure enough, he jumps the buck, chases him for about 100 yards through the trees, and then takes him out into the open where one of my hunting buddies kills him. The buck had alluded us for years and my new hunting partner was all it took to change our fate. There is something really satisfying about watching a dog develop right before your eyes. I hope to have many more successful and fullfilling deer seasons ahead of me.

Reno4x4.jpg

Last edited:
Back