Choke tubes

I have three Indian Creek Black Diamond Strike turkey chokes and they are first rate. I haven't tried their predator specific model, but if you get the right constriction for your particular bore size then I would expect very good results.

I've tried the Indian Creek Predator Choke in both my Mossberg 835 and Benelli SBE 2. My Carlson's Dead Coyote Choke patterned better in both guns.
As far as turkey chokes are concerned I have a Rhino and an Indian Creek Black Diamond, they shoot about equal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GCBeagler,
Were the two predator chokes both the same constriction?
The IC Predator Assault chokes are .710 constriction. To be honest I don't know what the DC chokes are, I can't find it published anywhere.

Everything I've read about the Dead Coyote chokes for the Benelli says they're .665". Which is really close, or just about right, for the sweet spot with No. Four Buck, T-shot, and BB's. That is a complaint of mine with the Indian Creek chokes that are marketed specifically for predators. Indian Creek seems to think 00 Buck is what most predator guys are using and as we know that is far from the truth. With that mindset IC markets an overly large constriction for the much more common No. Four Buck, T-shot, and BB's most experienced predator callers are using. I would think that is why the Dead Coyote choke outperformed the Indian Creek for you. If I were going with an Indian Creek I would custom order it with about .050" constriction from whatever bore I planned on shooting it with so as to be better suited for the more commonly used predator loads.

Originally Posted By: john007Does porte or non ported make a big difference?

It can and depending upon the load, one or the other is preferred. The ports mostly function to strip or retard the wad from the banging around in the rear of the shot column. And that is a good thing since anything that interferes with the shot is going to disrupt the overall pattern. However, some loads like the ones from Federal with the Flite Control wad should not be shot through a ported choke or one that strips/retards the wad. The Flite Control wad is designed to contain the shot and supposedly keep it together longer in flight for tighter patterns. Sounds nice, doesn't always work out as well as claimed.

Indian Creeks Assault is hands down the BEST coyote choke I have tried. It has always out shot the DC choke for me. The Assuaslt is the exact same choke as their pass waterfowl choke(you can catch them on sale). I shoot Dead Coyote loads 3 and 3 1/2" T's and have never had luck shooting them through their strike turkey tube! Shooting dogs with a shotgun is my passion amd I highly recommend having the forcing cone lenghtened in your barrel to achieve better patterns, its cheap and productive.

A few things:

#1. In a RemChoke .730 bore, I believe the Dead Coyote choke is .675, which would probably correspond to .665-.670 in a Benelli Mobil choke.

#2. I really like my .665 Indian Creek "Turkey" choke, but it isn't designed to throw great patterns with large shot like T's and Buckshot. It would over-choke it. It does great with 5's, 6's, and 7's. I read where a lot of people are shooting buckshot through turkey chokes, and complaining about the patterns. They are badly deforming the pellets by using too much constriction. Please try Extra Full chokes, not Turkey chokes, with Buckshot.

#3. I have found .690 to be great in RemChoke or Invector (Primo's Dead Deer chokes), and .700 in Invector Plus, using 00 Buckshot. I get just as many hits (9-10) in a 10" circle at 35-40 Yards with #4 Buck or 00 Buck, but obviously more pellets in a 20" circle with #4 Buck. These chokes also throw nice, even, dense 30 yard plus patterns with Squirrel and Turkey loads. They are a true "Extra Full" choke, but not a Turkey choke, by definition.

#4. I can't understand why Indian Creek chose such an open exit diameter for their "Predator" choke? I've been scratching my head on that one.

Back