Which Powders for .243 WSSM?

I just picked up a .243 WSSM (Oly Arms) and I am looking to do some loading for it. I have a 4 different bullets that I would like to try in various grains and I am looking for suggestions on which powders to try.

My bullets I will be trying:
-Berger 68gr Match
-Berger 80gr Match Varmint
-Berger 88gr Match Varmint,
-95gr SMK.

I've had really good luck with Re-loader 17. I have a bolt gun instead of semi. But it should work well. This is the powder I plan on using when my D-tech gets here.

Not all powders that work well in a bolt gun can transfer to an AR,The burn rate has alot to do with the cycle of the bolt and gas port.When incorrect burn rate powder is used the brass will be damaged in the ejection process and can also cause the gun to jam.
These are some of the powders I have used Varget,H4350,IMR4350.

H4350 is the slowest powder I have used and started to tear rims but light loads worked well.
I use Varget for predator loads and IMR4350 for my larger game loads.

When I got my 243 WSSM Upper from Mike Milli at D-Tech he recommended I use Varget powder. Varget has worked great for me so far in the 243 WSSM.

I'll give the Varget a try. I also have some RL15,RL19, and H380 sitting in my powder bin. Also, how about the Hybrid 100? I have a pound of that (no idea when I bought that!)

It seems like Varget goes good with any cartridge. I'm thinking I'll try the Varget and the RL15 and see which one gives me the best results. Either way, I think I need to invest in an 8lb keg of Varget!

Back