Calling Badgers

223Pete

Anyone had luck calling in a badger? I have at least one badger that is wreaking havoc out in my hayground. Every morning there are more holes. I have tried trapping but no luck; not sure which hole to set a trap by since there are so many. I have a Foxpro CS-24. Just wondering if anyone has specifically targeted a nuisance badger? What sound or sounds, what time of day? Thanks guys!

We kill between 75 and 100 + each year, some dogged some trapped some spotlit some called.
Rodent, bird, or coon fighting sounds work really well.
Night calling is best, if not legal, first lite, or last light give you the best chance.

Bird distress, Jack rabbit distress, mouse/vole all work. If you have a good idea of the general area he's set up shop at, get there an hour or two before sun-up and park your behind uphill or downwind and just sit quietly with a gun ready to go about 75-100 yards away. Don't bother calling at first. As it gets light you may well just spot it. If you don't see it within the first half hour of light, go ahead and call.

Toss a couple of smoke bombs and maybe fire crackers down the
holes and then back up fast. When you PO them, they can move
pretty fast and are always in bad moods.

Thanks guys! I will keep you updated if I nail him. He dug more last night. It is only a matter of time before the VMAX greets him!

Ghilliedogger, explain that plugged off den a little more. There are so many holes that I never paid attention to one that was plugged. Thanks!!

A neighbor seen two badgers at another neighbors and I thought about trying to call them. I have to find out when our season is on them. It looked like a skunk went through her yard as my wife and I did see a skunk there but he thinks it was the badgers. Do they dig like a skunk and make a mess?

Badgers will dig a hole and backfill behind them and take a nap out of the elements. They have semi-permanent dens but they often roam and sleep in holes they dig to find food.

Originally Posted By: tylo scootCan you go noodling on a badger? And just make sure you go with a budy with a 22lr.

I swear to god, I'd pay to see that. There was a video floating around of some guys that did that with a coyote. He didn't get bit either.
thumbup.gif

I have been bit by a badger in a hole,(client shot it, at night, I thought it was dead), My advice, don't stick your hand in a badger hole with a live badger in it.

Originally Posted By: Duane@ssuI have been bit by a badger in a hole,(client shot it, at night, I thought it was dead), My advice, don't stick your hand in a badger hole with a live badger in it.

grin.gif

I'm gonna write that down.

I had one respond to a prarie dog distress once, he popped up out of the grass and went straight for the caller till he got onto my tracks then he turned and came right at me at a dead run. Course I'm all scoped for a coyote at about a hundred yards, all I see is fur at fifteen- I stood up and was thinking it was going to be point blank and I'd better miss my toes when he disappeared down a hole...I'm pretty sure I won't be sticking my hand down any badger holes.
I don't know about down there, but up here they get into a prarie dog town and they'll make the ground look like someone has been at work with a back-hoe. Nasty axle busting holes.

Well I got him. Easy head shot with the 22 mag. You are right about the ground looking like it had a back hoe through it. Hard to believe one badger could do that. I guess I will light disk the ground and reseed it. Thanks for all the help again guys!

Originally Posted By: 223PeteWell I got him. Easy head shot with the 22 mag. You are right about the ground looking like it had a back hoe through it. Hard to believe one badger could do that. I guess I will light disk the ground and reseed it. Thanks for all the help again guys!

How'd you get him ( I know you shot it- I mean strategy?)

Well I wish it was an exciting story but it isn't. I was walking out to set up on him and I saw him digging. I got to about 75 yards and he was sitting in the hole looking at me. 22 mag with TNT's; one shot into his head. Verified he gave up his ghost and came back the next morning to pull him out. He was average size but dug up literally a couple acres of grass. This morning I saw more fresh digging a couple thousand yards away so he must have some kin. This next one I hope to call. I saw the shot and took it on this last one. Thanks again guys; will let you know if I get another!

Back