Can coyotes see in color?

Nate Smith

I know that a lot of the areas around where I hunt will be hit hard by upland game hunters in a couple of weeks and I'm wondering if I should wear blaze orange if I go out during that time to look for coyotes. If I'm upland hunting, I'll have the orange on, but if I'm coyote hunting I'm not planning on it; reason being that I've never seen any of you guys do it. Cheesy reason, but it's what I'm going with for now. So I'm wondering, do coyotes see in color? If I wear orange at that time, will I stick out like a sore thumb? I've got a "ghillie-lookin-suit" that I wear otherwise that has NO brown in it whatsoever. Just curious what you guys think and if coyotes actually would see the orange.

On a side note.... I guess I could just give it a rest during that timeframe.

Nate,

In my opinion a coyotes vision is in Black and White with a touch of Grey. Orange should be fine a long as they do not see you move and you do not have your body outlined or skylighted.

The orange is for your protection during big game rifle season and i would highly recommend wearing it as well as an orange hat if you are backed against a rock or brush.

In Colorado 2005 there were supposedly 5 Cow Moose killed by out of state hunters that had Cow Elk tags. Dont chance it in my opinion and live to see another day. They are Coyotes for god's sake!

When i see Les Johnson (Prdator Quest) wearing his Coyote fur hat with the tail hanging in the back i always have the feeling in my stomach that someone may think he looks like a Coyote from the backside or the side. We are not the only hunters out there. He trys to promote selling these hats to other predator hunters and although it may keep your head warm it is not worth the chance. I know in the past i have had other callers calling from across the valley from me. 800 or so yards away. How well can you really see your target at 800 yards?
Laying next to a bush pile or a large rock with a coyote fur hat on makes me wonder what the he** he is thinking??

When deer hunting does he wear a Deer hide with a nice rack on top?

Crazy!!

Just my opinions and sorry about the rant!

Well, I dont know so much about the color orange, but I do know that some canines can see the color red.

My brothers GF's dog which is a dobie goes ballistic at those lazer pointers.

He also goes crazy over my killight outside when I shine it on the back fence and in the yard.

Coyotes are canines so I would imagine they might be able to see red too and orange is a derivative of red.

Up to you, but safety first in my book.

Somewhere out in cyberspace is a very good article on the color capabilities of a canine...I remember reading it about two years ago, if not longer...

I would suggest calling on Google, or Ask...It probably won't be hard to find..I thought I had copied it to a file in my computer, but apparently not..

Like i said earlier - Black, white & Grey.

Movement and outline is the most critical part of their sight.

Don't skyline or outline yourself and they will never see you even while you are in your Pink Pajama's.

Praying for snow!!!!

Kevin

Originally Posted By: Dead Down WindNate,

When i see Les Johnson (Prdator Quest) wearing his Coyote fur hat with the tail hanging in the back i always have the feeling in my stomach that someone may think he looks like a Coyote from the backside or the side. We are not the only hunters out there. He trys to promote selling these hats to other predator hunters and although it may keep your head warm it is not worth the chance. I know in the past i have had other callers calling from across the valley from me. 800 or so yards away. How well can you really see your target at 800 yards?
Laying next to a bush pile or a large rock with a coyote fur hat on makes me wonder what the he** he is thinking??

The Pa Game Commission uses a good example for promoting the importance of orange headgear during Hunter Safety Classes:

Without a hat, or with a brown/cammo hat, a hunter ascends a knoll in a big field. Several hundred yards away, a woodchuck hunter spots only his head movement.. Recipe for possible disaster.

At the very least - always wear an orange hat when moving around.

Here in NC, we a not required to wear orange while hunting certain game. Coyote is one of those. But...... when I'm hunting in public areas I will wear at least an orange hat while moving. I take it off and stash it when I start calling. I do keep it close at hand so I can put it on quickly should another person show up in the area.

Originally Posted By: gman2153Originally Posted By: Dead Down WindNate,

The Pa Game Commission uses a good example for promoting the importance of orange headgear during Hunter Safety Classes:

Without a hat, or with a brown/cammo hat, a hunter ascends a knoll in a big field. Several hundred yards away, a woodchuck hunter spots only his head movement.. Recipe for possible disaster.

OK, really...I truly am not starting a pizzing match.
But...anyone who is shooting at a target, whether it looks like a "coyote" or a "woodchuck"....VERY FIRST rule I was taught in Hunter's Safety was verify your target/know exactly what you're shooting at".
Has this rule changed since 1974?
confused.gif

Besides, IMHO, you shouldn't be taking 800 yard shots at ANYTHING while hunting. If a person can't get much closer than that, they aren't hunters, they are poachers...as well as idiots. (this is only an opinion, of course)
wink.gif

After all, we are "hunting", not playing "military sniper". (end of my soap box)

On the subject of wearing orange...right/wrong, I generally only wear orange while coyote hunting during firearms deer season. And then usually only an orange hat.
The rest of the time, I'm camo-ed everywhere.

I don't know the full spectrum of colors that coyotes/canines can see, but I do remember Yellowhammer once saying that the color BLUE is one of the few colors that they CAN see.

When it comes to the biology of critters, I trust Yellowhammer until I have definitive proof of my own to dispute it. Afterall, it is what he does for a living and went to school for.

Chupa

Originally Posted By: canislatrans54Originally Posted By: gman2153Originally Posted By: Dead Down WindNate,

OK, really...I truly am not starting a pizzing match.
But...anyone who is shooting at a target, whether it looks like a "coyote" or a "woodchuck"....VERY FIRST rule I was taught in Hunter's Safety was verify your target/know exactly what you're shooting at".
Has this rule changed since 1974?
confused.gif

Besides, IMHO, you shouldn't be taking 800 yard shots at ANYTHING while hunting. If a person can't get much closer than that, they aren't hunters, they are poachers...as well as idiots. (this is only an opinion, of course)
wink.gif

After all, we are "hunting", not playing "military sniper". (end of my soap box)

On the subject of wearing orange...right/wrong, I generally only wear orange while coyote hunting during firearms deer season. And then usually only an orange hat.
The rest of the time, I'm camo-ed everywhere.

Common sense (positive target ID) does not apply to many.

Believe it or not - but every year in Pa. several turkey hunters are shot - at close range.

Long range sniping not required.

You can't fix stupid, especially in ZOOville (a.k.a State Game Lands).

Originally Posted By: Chupathingy I don't know the full spectrum of colors that coyotes/canines can see, but I do remember Yellowhammer once saying that the color BLUE is one of the few colors that they CAN see.

When it comes to the biology of critters, I trust Yellowhammer until I have definitive proof of my own to dispute it. Afterall, it is what he does for a living and went to school for.

Chupa

I also saw a study on deer that claims thay can see into the UV spectrum farther than humans, so those additives in some detergents that makes your "whits whiter" (and which is actually a alight blue tint) allows an animal to see UV relections from your clothes washed in it.

I'm not sure whether that's true or not, but I switched over to washing my hunting gear in Woolite without any whiteners.

Whether a deer and a coyote see the same spectrum of color I have no idea, though.

Originally Posted By: RJM AcresHow do they test coyotes for color, etc ?

Not sure to be honest, which is why I say that I trust Yellowhammer until I can prove him wrong.

I'll trust my Proctologist until I can work up the courage to stick my own finger up my butt as well
thumbup.gif

Chupa

Originally Posted By: ChupathingyOriginally Posted By: gman21535 finger inspection = no more need for cammo gloves..

And the end of biting your finger nails.

Chupa

It would probably make you see colors.

Back