Proposed Alaska (Northern) Hunting Forum

Howdy All Moderators and All . . .

About 3 weeks ago or so I brought forth the idea for discussion of adding an "Alaskan Hunting (Calling) Forum" and all the advantages and importance of it. There seemed to be quite a lot of entheusiam for it to say the least! I never did find out what kind of a decision had been made yet, if any.

In any event, I see that there is a "Calling in the East" Forum which seems to be Very beneficial for that part of the country, and an Excellent Excellent idea!
So with that in mind, how about this: Add the new forum with the title: "Northern Hunting (Calling) Forum".!! :) :)

That would be TREMENDOUS AND UNBELIEVABLY USEFUL for all those in all the Northern and Arctic areas to include Alaska and Canada, etc., both those hunters who live here and also those from other parts of the country who are making a trip here. It just seems to be too invaluable to pass up.
As it stands now, if I want to bone up and get info on Eastern Calling...theres the Forum right here for that. I'm Really Really BEGGING for a "Northern Hunting (Calling) Forum" to also be added for the reason I mention above.

What say guys??

All best and keep ur powder dry,

Cas in Alaska

------------------
For a GREAT Business Opportunity,
and OUTSTANDING shopping experience...
EXPLORE: www.cgdevelopment.net
Referral # 779609
Password: guest
And: www.quixtar.com

Referral# 779609

I back you 100% on getting a Alaska (Northern) calling/hunting forum going.We do have unique circumstances up here.Hope the moderators and administrators approve!

------------------

Let me be the bad guy.

The Calling in the East forum may have been a mistake. Certainly making a forum for each area tends to splinter the group, something we do not want to happen. In Predator Masters present form, you can discuss whatever topic you want, with hunters from everywhere. That is the concept. To break it into small clicques(sp?) would defeat that idea.

Sorry, guys. It just ain't gonna happen......

------------------
Critr

LW42144.jpg

www.SaguaroSafaris.com

Originally posted by Critr Gitr:
Let me be the bad guy.

The Calling in the East forum may have been a mistake. Certainly making a forum for each area tends to splinter the group, something we do not want to happen. In Predator Masters present form, you can discuss whatever topic you want, with hunters from everywhere. That is the concept. To break it into small clicques(sp?) would defeat that idea.

Sorry, guys. It just ain't gonna happen......

Sorry Pal . . . I Just don't Buy it! I just don't know what your problem is down there in the great state of Arizona (if thats where you really are).
If so . . . ITS NONE OF YOUR CONCERN!
SO STAY IN THE SOUTHWEST ON THIS SUBJECT!!

There is not...has never been...nor will be any "splintering" of the group -- any more than there was on the original Posse Country!!!!!!

The "Eastern Forum" is just Fine!

There is none of your "splintering". (Uh, are you some type of bleeding Liberal?? -- or are you a free thinking American?? (You sure don't sound like one!).

There happens to be 50 states in our union and our Republic -- comprising of North..South..East..and West.
None of them are the same!

EASTERN AREA HAS ITS NEEDED FORUM.

NORTHERN AREA NEEDS ITS FORUM EVEN MORE THAN EVER!!!!!

This is not small stuff.

Cas in Alaska

------------------
Referral # 779609

Referral# 779609

Cas sorry to say but Critr is right on what he is informing you with.
Cas there simply is no need to add an Alaska Forum. This message board was disigned to represent the sport of calling.
If you choose you can bring it up with Leonard.

[This message has been edited by Jason El Paso (edited 08-16-2001).]

Cas,

There was no need for the sarcastic response to Critr Gitr. That type of personal attack will not be allowed on this board. He was simply informing you of the decision that was made by the moderators on this issue. Any topic concerning any region can be discussed in the existing forums. The Eastern forum has illustrated this very point. There are many posts there that would be better served under the appropriate forums. It has caused some isolation and cliques to develop. The purpose of this board is for predator hunters from around the world to discuss the in's and out's of predator hunting and related topics. There is no reason you can't start "Alaska" threads in the appropriate forum. We all enjoy the Alaska posts and are envious of your target rich environment. The Alaska hunters are a very welcome group on this board. Let's not take this personal and launch attacks on individuals. The decision has be made to keep this a general board and not let it get too splintered causing everyone to have to bounce all over the place. I understand that you do not like or agree with the decision, but it is a done deal. Let's just get back to gearing up for this season.

Good Hunting,

Bob C.

------------------
“No man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms, is as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.”
Thomas Jefferson, June 1776

Cas apparently being polite to you is futile.

Did you not happen to see the moderator status below Critr's name?

We have discussed it thoroughly and have reached the conclusion that Critr was polite enough to inform you of.
This is in light of the fact that this subject had already been brought up by you and had already been answered before.

The decision has been reached , and you have been informed , again.

I ask you to please stick around and enjoy the forums as they stand.

The only thing that I want to add is that if you do then please leave that attitude north of the artic circle.

It is most definetly not welcome in the sunny southwest.

Cas,
I envy all of you fellows who live and hunt in the great state of Alaska. Since we have opened this board for folks from all parts of the world to join in, we see no need for a seperate forum for all fifty states. Although I have never met you in person I still consider you as a friend. You have a lot to offer Predator Masters members because of your experience in hunting and calling. Please refrain from personal attacks upon members of this board, as it is not allowed.

[This message has been edited by Rich Cronk (edited 08-16-2001).]

Cas,

The decision to leave the board as it is was not made without consideration for your concerns. The moderators did not make this decision hastily. Please understand that!

Alaska and Canada are like no place on earth and have a lot to offer the hunting community. I love to read about Alaskan and northern hunting adventures. Everyone that I have ever talked to says their will always be a place in your heart for Alaska once you have been there. I know Alaska and the far north have a lot to offer. No one is denying this.

On the other hand we felt that we did not want to create splinter groups or show favortism to any particular entity.

To be honest, I think the Alaskan adventures would steal the show whichever forum they happened to be in. I would hate to see people miss them if they were in a different place than most of us frequent. I honestly do not think that Alaska would better served with their own forum. Alaska needs to be where the action is at which is on the main forums.

I agree with Critr that the Eastern coyote calling forum may have been a mistake for many of the same reasons. I also know why the Eastern Coyote forum was started. Most of the predator calling forums center around calling in the west. Wide open spaces, public land, less people, more coyotes, etc.

Those callers that call in the Eastern United States have trouble relating to the conditions in the west and have trouble getting their questions answered when most callers cannot relate to their conditions.

That possibly opened up the door for justifying more splinter groups but that is where the moderators have drawn the line.

There is a big difference between calling in the Dakotas and calling in West Texas or Arizona. We could easily split northern lower 48 and southern lower 48 into their own forums too. Pretty soon we have lost our collective group. Once you start drawing and changing lines, where do you quit?

Again, this was not a decision made in haste.

Wiley E

[This message has been edited by Wiley E (edited 08-16-2001).]

Originally posted by Wiley E:
To be honest, I think the Alaskan adventures would steal the show whichever forum they happened to be in

This is not a flame, but the staff of this board have honestly been reading far to many adventures about "alaska and the great white north" in the outdoor rags. You think our stories could ever possibly begin to compare to the west/south-west.

The guys in those magazines are paid to come up, paid guides, and ALWAYS limit out...but it's not like that. In my corner of the state, we have two roads that head out of town (anchorage) One goes north to fair banks(the Glenn HWY.), one goes south to seward (the Seward HWY)...all of our opportunities lay upon those roads.

How far have you ever shot at a varmint? Or even spotted game? Well I sit here, having lived in AK for 7 years of my life, and can't think of ONE place IN THE ENTIRE STATE (south of the arctice circle) that a 200 yard shot is possible...this is not the wide open miles of the west. Also, you guys ever get snow? yeah...I know, they shut the west down when there's snow...1 inch is cause for disaster funds, and if you can make a footprint the mayor is on all stations decalring a state of emergency, and to stay inside...(exclude oregon, idaho, and some of nevada/utah..). Up here if you want to leave the road, be prepared to fall up to your shoulders in pwdery snow... "why dontcha just wear snow-shoes??"...they don't work...they help a little, but usually are more pain then pleasure, in real powdery snow it's like trying to walk across water in them, and once they punch through the surface, you're stuck!

I do think alaska is in need of a forum, it's 100 percent differen't then there....I think it's insane how guys who don't hunt here can say our tales will dwarf yours....have you been to the photo gall latly? I see pics of a dozen animals, bobcats, grey fox, red fox, coons, ringtails, coyotes, etc...IN ONE OUTING!!! One trip trip dwarfs my whole winter. Last winter we got none, the winter before, only 3 fox and a yote....yeah, it's hard hunting up here, and I wish since there seems to be a demand for it we'd have a place to gather and compare techniques, which I assure you differe up here, just like the east, the yotes have only been up here for the past 50 or so years, they expanded when the west did, fox are plentiful, fairly, but you can only get two a year. Lynx? One a year...it's hard hunting up here, the winters are harsh and alot of game die. You can only harvest marmots by trapping, and you have to salvage the meat or hide of any (ground)squirrels you kill. True, we've got fishing and big game hunting beyond compare, but the varmint opportunities are slim. Sorry to rant, but we're getting a bum deal.

Hi Wiley . . .

Thanks for your reply. I'll just imbed a few comments here...

Cas,

The decision to leave the board as it is was not made without consideration for your concerns. The moderators did not make this decision hastily. Please understand that!

OK; I do now. I just don't understand the "splintering" concept that someone was trying to explain; then again, I am 1/2 polock and don't pick up on some things as fast as normal people. Also, last nite was one of those rare nites when 4 bad things occurred here in about a 1 hr. period and I was a bit frayed and upset about other matters. For that I genunily and sincerly offer my apology, as thats not like me normally.

Alaska and Canada are like no place on earth and have a lot to offer the hunting community. I love to read about Alaskan and northern hunting adventures. Everyone that I have ever talked to says their will always be a place in your heart for Alaska once you have been there. I know Alaska and the far north have a lot to offer. No one is denying this.

Yah... this neck of the woods is pretty different. Keeps you on your toes so to speak. :)

On the other hand we felt that we did not want to create splinter groups or show favortism to any particular entity.

Well, I guess I just don't see it as "favortism", but rather as a useful positive. I certainly don't begrudge the Eastern Forum - more power to 'em and good for them!! They need that! The more communication tools the better, and useful ones at that. I'm glad Eastern Forum is there; its very valuable.

To be honest, I think the Alaskan adventures would steal the show whichever forum they happened to be in. I would hate to see people miss them if they were in a different place than most of us frequent. I honestly do not think that Alaska would better served with their own forum. Alaska needs to be where the action is at which is on the main forums.

I agree with Critr that the Eastern coyote calling forum may have been a mistake for many of the same reasons. I also know why the Eastern Coyote forum was started. Most of the predator calling forums center around calling in the west. Wide open spaces, public land, less people, more coyotes, etc.

Those callers that call in the Eastern United States have trouble relating to the conditions in the west and have trouble getting their questions answered when most callers cannot relate to their conditions.

Well, you are certainly 100% Correct and right on the money! The Eastern calling guys are in a whole different baliwick and totally different conditions, as you just stated. So is the far north. You just made my point Exactly!!! :) Anyway, I made an idea and a request and was told an answer. At least I tried to state my case with the valid reasoning as to why and its functionality. If I want to peruse Eastern calling, all I need to do is click, as would anyone on the whole board here to click on Northern Calling if they want. The Northern/Arctic areas are SOO different. Different world.

That possibly opened up the door for justifying more splinter groups but that is where the moderators have drawn the line.

There is a big difference between calling in the Dakotas and calling in West Texas or Arizona. We could easily split northern lower 48 and southern lower 48 into their own forums too. Pretty soon we have lost our collective group. Once you start drawing and changing lines, where do you quit?

I see what you are saying here but I don't see it as a "split" or a "negative" anymore than say a "Calling Forum" vs. a "Hunting Forum" ... or an "Electronic Call Forum" vs. a "Hand Call Forum". Just different area and subject matter which makes for Maximum efficiency and convience. I know one thing...if I want to bone up on Eastern calling stuff, I'm glad I have an easy Forum to click onto. I'm grateful for that convienence. We are all callers and hunters here on the same board, and I guess I just don't see the "split" concept.
On the old Posse Country which had an Alaskan/Northern Forum down at the bottom, I never clicked on that to the exclusion of the regular Predator or other calling forums...just as a valuable addition (tool)to to catch up on local calling/conditions/results and Coyote, Bear, Caribou, Lynx and Wolf stuff and all.

Again, this was not a decision made in haste.

Yes, I know, and I thank you guys for the consideration that you did put into it.

All best, good hunting and keep your powder dry . . .

Cas in Alaska.

[This message has been edited by Wiley E (edited 08-16-2001).]

------------------
Referral # 779609

Referral# 779609

Bad Medicine,

I need to clarify an earlier statement a little better.

Wiley E: To be honest, I think the Alaskan adventures would steal the show whichever forum they happened to be in

When I wrote that, I was not thinking in terms of what may be a typical Alaskan predator calling story, I was thinking in terms of comparing a good southern US calling outing to having a Grizzly bear run someone's Ars up a tree. Comparing a grey fox running over the caller down south to a moose stomping in front of you in Alaska. Listening to a story about a coyote flying over the sage like a frisbee or listening to a story about an arctic fox slipping around on the ice. Reading about howling in a coyote or reading about wolves circling the sled dogs. That's what I had in my mind.

Yes, I have probably read too many stories.

Bad Med: "True, we've got fishing and big game hunting beyond compare, but the varmint opportunities are slim."

Why would you want a special forum if the varmint opportunities were slim?

Wiley E

Hey,
You guys around Anchorage.
I would appreciate it if yall would email me.
I am moving to Anchorage this Nov,Dec,
and believe me, I have no idea what to expect.
Sure would be nice to make some contacts.
So many questions,not much time!
Thanks
JessMan [url=mailto:bergster@lakeozark.net

When I wrote that, I was not thinking in terms of what may be a typical Alaskan predator calling story, I was thinking in terms of comparing a good southern US calling outing to having a Grizzly bear run someone's Ars up a tree. Comparing a grey fox running over the caller down south to a moose stomping in front of you in Alaska. Listening to a story about a coyote flying over the sage like a frisbee or listening to a story about an arctic fox slipping around on the ice. Reading about howling in a coyote or reading about wolves circling the sled dogs. That's what I had in my mind.

Yes, I have probably read too many stories.

Bad Med: "True, we've got fishing and big game hunting beyond compare, but the varmint opportunities are slim."

Why would you want a special forum if the varmint opportunities were slim?

Yes, far too many alaskan stories my friend...far too many. I've sen two wild wolves (outside of denali) in my 7 years...circling the "sleddogs"...
rolleyes.gif

Why would we want a forum? When the opportunities are slim, you must adapt and come up with better tactics, simply walking down wind and blowing a rabbit call aint gonna do it here. The more tactics, techniques, and areas you hunt, the more room we'd need (read:we'd like) to share our ideas...this isn't tejas, this isn't even montana or idaho...this is the FAR NORTH... but you're probably right, the varmints are so thick up here you can cut 'em with a knife, after all, all those magazines say so
rolleyes.gif

Wiley E,
Your question to Bad Medicine about why would we need a forum if varmits are slim.There are a large variety of varmits here in our great state. The problem is our state is 1/5 the size of the Lower 48 with probably less than 1/10 of 1% of the road system you all have.Alot of areas along the road system here near Anchorage, (which by the way is where 1/2 of Alaska's 500,000 + population live),are private land or National Park that are not open to hunting.If for instance I want to hunt Arctic fox, I need to drive about 14 hours north or about 800 miles,350 which is gravel.I drive about 1-2 hrs just to get where I can predator hunt. In the winter,unless you have a snowmachine you are very limited.If you do go out,itisn't like alot of the places in the Lower 48 where if you get hurt you're only minutes or an hour from help(warm house,shelter,or medical attention) I enjoy this board.When posse country was up and running, I always checked out all of the sites and used the Alaska Hunting Forum as a way to stay in touch with the fellas up here since,in a way we are isolated from the rest of the country.We do have critters up here,we just may have a harder time trying to get to the legal ones.
Thanks,again I would just like to say I think this board is great,I just miss the Alaska forum. Thanks,
Dogman

Originally posted by Dogman:
Wiley E,
Your question to Bad Medicine about why would we need a forum if varmits are slim.There are a large variety of varmits here in our great state. The problem is our state is 1/5 the size of the Lower 48 with probably less than 1/10 of 1% of the road system you all have.Alot of areas along the road system here near Anchorage, (which by the way is where 1/2 of Alaska's 500,000 + population live),are private land or National Park that are not open to hunting.If for instance I want to hunt Arctic fox, I need to drive about 14 hours north or about 800 miles,350 which is gravel.I drive about 1-2 hrs just to get where I can predator hunt. In the winter,unless you have a snowmachine you are very limited.If you do go out,itisn't like alot of the places in the Lower 48 where if you get hurt you're only minutes or an hour from help(warm house,shelter,or medical attention) I enjoy this board.When posse country was up and running, I always checked out all of the sites and used the Alaska Hunting Forum as a way to stay in touch with the fellas up here since,in a way we are isolated from the rest of the country.We do have critters up here,we just may have a harder time trying to get to the legal ones.
Thanks,again I would just like to say I think this board is great,I just miss the Alaska forum. Thanks,
Dogman

Dogman makes some powerful points here. Its not like we can help it or anything, but we ARE Extremely isolated from the south 48 states with totally different conditions... everything from calling conditions, to where the critters are to snow conditions, to comparing snowshoes and needed equipment for the arctic here.
One of the most vital things now here in southcentral Alaska is being able to communicate amonst each other from all over the state on the predator damage -- Wolves and bears are decimating our Moose population...destroying it! I see Wolves kinda like Jaws...except Jaws is in the ocean and Wolves are on the land here...large packs of them. I don't know of a more efficient killing machine, so we need to keep tabs on just Where they are and When. That aspect alone was one of the Biggest Godsends of the Alaska Hunting/Calling Forum when we had it. It was just Wonderful (although I always checked out the other forums too everytime I checked the board).

All best, and we sure do need that forum again.

Cas in Alaska

------------------
Referral # 779609

Referral# 779609

Cas,

With all do respect, the decision has been made. You can do everything you want by starting a thread in the appropriate forum. Any further discussion or pleading is just going to lead to bad feelings. It is time to move on. If you feel that strongly about the need for an Alaska only forum I would suggest starting an Alaska Board. That way you can control it the way you feel it needs to be, and you all can come sit around the camp fire with us to talk about "Southern" stuff. As I said before, we all welcome and enjoy all the input from up North, but we are not going to open up a Board within a Board.

Good Hunting,

Bob C.

------------------
“No man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms, is as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.”
Thomas Jefferson, June 1776

Back