help me build a 7MM STW

Trapper Luke

Well fellers decided I want a long range rifle and plan on going with the 7mm STW. Plan on buying a rifle and then building off it will probably end up being a remington from what I've been able to find so far. Also keep in mind that this is gonna be my first "custom" rilfe I will be building by myself. Alright so I guess what I'm looking for is some ideas what all I can do to a stock rifle to help improve accuracy. What kind of stock, trigger etc.

One thing that I was curious about is the barrel. Do I need to buy a different barrel if the stock one is still good?

For now I just plan on shooting in the 500=800 yard range and eventually workin my way up to a grand once I get use to my gun.

I'm sure there will be more questions to come.

Thanks,
Luke

Weelll, adding a stock to a rifle does not qualify it to be called a custom. JMO, alot of work goes into a "Custom" rifle. Usually a custom starts out with a good action being squared and trued bolt reworked and a good trigger. All this done by a qualified smith or yourself if you can do it. Then you need a "Good" match grade barrel. Installed by said gunsmith. Then a good quality stock with the action pillared and bedded. This followed up with a good set of rings and bases followed up with good optics. IMO, best way is to start with a good action and build off of it. Like everything today, quality cost money, how good do you want it? This is only my opinion, I might be wrong!

If going custom you might as well buy a custom action because by the time you buy the gun, scrap the stock and barrel then blueprint the action you are at the cost of a custom action. Prepare for long wait times if you go with Manners or McMillan as for a stock unless you find one someone has the same goes for most barrel makers unless you can find one in stock. The sky is the limit. You may just be wanting to take a factory barreled action and change the trigger and skim bed into a different stock, which is all fine and well but a custom is not what I would call that. Also unless you are planning on getting a really fast twist barrel and shooting the heaviest, highest BC bullets you can find you really dont need the STW. I know guys who drive 7mm-08 to a grand with no problem and there is a large gap between the 08 to the STW.

Good luck with the build.

id go to walmart and buy a good 110 or 112 rifle, go to midway and get a new bolt head for the STW. send your action and bolt trued. get a good heavy fluted barrel in a 26" length threaded for a break, youll probally want it for the STW. maybe a good laminate thumbhole stock from Boyds.
thats my opinion on a build and i have cheap taste. total for that should be right around 1000 bucks with the purchase of a factory rifle. add in another 600 or so for a good bushnell elite and a 100 for a bipod.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogWeelll, adding a stock to a rifle does not qualify it to be called a custom. JMO, alot of work goes into a "Custom" rifle. Usually a custom starts out with a good action being squared and trued bolt reworked and a good trigger. All this done by a qualified smith or yourself if you can do it. Then you need a "Good" match grade barrel. Installed by said gunsmith. Then a good quality stock with the action pillared and bedded. This followed up with a good set of rings and bases followed up with good optics. IMO, best way is to start with a good action and build off of it. Like everything today, quality cost money, how good do you want it? This is only my opinion, I might be wrong!

100% agree with you....
action 500-1300
blue printing 250
barrel 350-550
thread and chamber 200
trigger 50-250
stock 300-800
rings and base 200
oversize recoil lug 35
dbm 250-450
bolt knob 65
bipod 50-200
scope 500-4200

without a scope on a custom rifle plan on 1850 min...

Last edited:
jewell trigger and depending on how much you want to spend on a stock b&c medalist or the choate tactical witch i like better then the b&c your prob going too need a 20 moa scope base at long distances... badger ord or nightfore... a great long range starter scope is the bushnell elite 6500 4.5-30x50
probly the best tip i can give you is to buy some stuff used off other fourms ect, i see these elite 6500 go for 450 witch is 550 off new... also mcmillans and manners for 400-575 used wile being 750 start out new.. hs percision for 200-300 jewell triggers for 175... and dbm for 225... you just have to check... imo i would rather have quality used stuff then new mediocre stuff...

Well guess what I'm really wanting to do isnt gonna be a full out custom gun mainly just wanting to do a few things to make it so its not a completly stock gun I got a bad habit of wanting "toys" everybody else doesnt have. Like changing out the stock I've been having a real hard time finding a 7STW as it is and I've always been a fan of laminated thumbhole stocks so was planning on getting one of them doing so trigger work just more of the basic stuff not a full on custom gun. Just looking for some ideas like who makes a laminated thumbhole stock whats a good trigger to go with is the stock barrel gonna be fine or would it be better to go with a aftermarket one etc.

Go Savage! Find a used rifle, caliber doesn't matter. Either long or short action depending on caliber choice. Uglier the better. Ugly usually means cheap! Go to Savage Shooters and buy either a take off barrel($200.) or one of the different pre-fits that Northland Shooters offer( $250-$380.). He also sells stocks, might get lucky and find one there you like. Probably need a bolt head too. Assemble the barreled action and color to your taste, Krylon, Dura Coat, what ever! Like berger-king said, get a Choate, H-S, Bell and Carlson stock, mount your optics and go shoot. May get out for less than a grand less optics. Real close to a custom rifle.

I have a Winchester Model 70 Classic in 7Stw that I have been thinking about selling. It has a H S Precision stock and I have the original stock also. PM me if you would be interested in it.

Guy

Look at the 7 RUM, which brought the demise of the STW. I will bet you can find them pretty cheap as the are a lot of gun. There are some smiths that will ream a 7 rem mag to STW for you.

Luke, I have two custom 7 STW's. One is a re-chambered Sendero 7RM barrel(25 1/2" long) and the other is a Pac Nor Select Match 27" three groove 10" twist Sendero type taper.

I shoot the 140g Nosler Combined Technology bullet at 3600 out of the Re chambered Sendero barrel and 3700 out of the Pac NOr. However, naked bullets can not be shot this fast in my barrels. The pac Nor Super Match puts all the bullets shoots 3 shot groups in the .235-.275 area.

Pac Nor has a minimum spec match reamer that is a non turn neck reamer and they will throat the chamber at the seating depth of the three rounds that you provide to them at no extra charge.

The most accurate load that I have found in my Sendero barrel is a 120g tipped tripple shock at 3850 fps and it shoots into a single bullet hole.

Start off with a Rem action because it has a very long magazine.

Pac Nor will square off the front of the receiver at no extra charge and you will achieve tiny groups.

I heard that Winchester is making a special run of 7 STW brass now, buy a thousand rounds if you find it.

If you want the best shot at really small groups, then a #5 taper is the minimum you would want and a #4 is marginal. Dampening barrel vibration on these largest of magnums is critical for ultimate accuracy.

Originally Posted By: LWILLIAMSIf going custom you might as well buy a custom action because by the time you buy the gun, scrap the stock and barrel then blueprint the action you are at the cost of a custom action.

Good luck with the build.

There is some spot on advice. I know I learned the hard way.

Good luck with your build no matter how you decide to do it. And I believe you made a fantastic cartridge choice. Tom.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trapper LukeWell fellers decided I want a long range rifle and plan on going with the 7mm STW. Plan on buying a rifle and then building off it will probably end up being a remington from what I've been able to find so far. Also keep in mind that this is gonna be my first "custom" rilfe I will be building by myself. Alright so I guess what I'm looking for is some ideas what all I can do to a stock rifle to help improve accuracy. What kind of stock, trigger etc.

One thing that I was curious about is the barrel. Do I need to buy a different barrel if the stock one is still good?

For now I just plan on shooting in the 500=800 yard range and eventually workin my way up to a grand once I get use to my gun.

I'm sure there will be more questions to come.

Thanks,
Luke

Personally, my advice, being as you are new to both custom rifles, and LR shooting, is to build a 7mm Rem magnum. It will EASILY reach out to 1000yds with 162gr A-maxes or various Bergers. It will also do so with a lot less bark and bite, recoil, and powder. It will also exhibit longer barrel life, and more likely than not, you will shoot it more accurately. Plus, if you ever decide "you did not quite get things right" on your first build, the 7 mag will be a LOT easier to sell.

JMO........

Back