AR Optics Mounting question

d2admin

Administrator
I have mounted several scopes on AR's, from 1-4 all the way up to 6.5-20. My question is what is the rule of thumb for mounting a scope on an AR?

I hunt with an army buddy who likes to put his nose on the charging handle, he currently uses a Trijicon but has bought a Viper PST 1-4 and he says he cannot get proper eye relief. I showed him mine and it worked for him, but going thru the picture thread it doesn't look like any particular method is best, more of a what works for me method.

My ocular bell is about 1" forward of the charging handle, it works for me, just looking for some opinions or suggestions.

Thanks

Nose to charging handle works with Irons and a collapsable stock. With a fixed position stock, I set up the scope alost even with the charging handle and that is because my eye is about 3 inches back from there.

It will depend on the intended use and set up.

Ya, I've seen pics on here of guys that do it both ways...

I prefer mine like ricky_arthur does. almost even with the charging handle works out just about perfect

Here's my solution.
I learned N2CH years ago in my old battalion and don't feel comfortable doing it any other way. I shoot with the stock in the position you see there.
Larue SPR-E mount. Sorta crazy, it's worth about twice the value of the Redfield sitting in it. DNZ now makes a well- reviewed mount with just as much forward offset for much less money.

DSC00134.jpg

The new thing among the tactical guys is to make the rifle, both stock and handguards , as long as possible. Instaed of following the trends, I'll probably just stick with what I know.

I settle in behind my rifle and just move the scope forward or back until I get the eye relief I want. Given the different sized shooters, and stocks, there really isn't going to be a "one size fits all" solution that will be perfect for everyone.

"If it works, go with it", is probably the best.

Originally Posted By: OrphanedcowboyI have mounted several scopes on AR's, from 1-4 all the way up to 6.5-20. My question is what is the rule of thumb for mounting a scope on an AR?

I hunt with an army buddy who likes to put his nose on the charging handle, he currently uses a Trijicon but has bought a Viper PST 1-4 and he says he cannot get proper eye relief. I showed him mine and it worked for him, but going thru the picture thread it doesn't look like any particular method is best, more of a what works for me method.

My ocular bell is about 1" forward of the charging handle, it works for me, just looking for some opinions or suggestions.

Thanks

Here's my method...
I would say there is not a rule of thumb and it really depends on your shooting style. Your shooting style and body shape will determine where you want the butt stock set for shooting and then that will put the scope where it should be according to proper eye relief.

An example is that I shoot with my shoulders squared up and I place the butt stock closer to center, so my butt stock is not extended out much (2 clicks for me). My 1-4 optics generally line up around 1/2" in front of the back of the upper (not the CH). Some shooters pull the shoulder (that the butt stock rests against) way back in more of an olympic style and then they usually need a lot more butt stock and possibly a different scope placement (sometimes even extending past the back of the upper).

Here is a few pics. Hope that helps. This is just my method and really you just want to find a method that's good for you (that's always repeatable).

DSCF4606.jpg

DSCF4608.jpg

I have a variety depending on the way I use it.

I tend to put my nose to the charging handle on my ARs that have nothing but iron sights. I also do the same on my ARs that have back-up irons, so on those the short magnification scopes are just ahead of the charging handle, with eye-relief determining the exact location, and non magnified red dots are mounted toward the front of the receiver.

Two of my varmint rifles with A2 length stocks meant for bench shooting have longer scopes that hang back behind the charging handle.

Overall I think whatever works for you is fine as long as you are getting good repeatable results.

Back