243 Winchester AR RRA or DPMS

Shooter44

Is anyone on here shooting a Rock River or DPMS AR in 243 Winchester? I have gone to to the Rock River website and only see the uppers available and not complete guns. Looking to purchase very soon and am looking for any experiences that members on here may have with either brand. Functioning, accuracy, fit and finish. Thanks

Last edited:
I have DPMS.Fit finish accuracy is all great with mine.It will do less than moa.It is fun to shoot,have had no feed problems.The one thing I am not crazy about is it is heavy.Overall,I like it a lot and have no plans to get rid of it.

I have one that stated out as a 308. I have a 243 upper that HOPEFULLY will be here this week..

I love the AR-10. For longer walks, I got an outlaw sling. The weight isn't bad at all IMHO.

Blopez50 is obviously younger and tougher than I am!
grin.gif
I also have a DPMS in .243 and while it is a good shooter it is a bit on the heavy side. The RRA AR10s that I have handled have seemed lighter. On the scale the difference was something like a pound and a couple of ounces so the greatest difference was likely how it balanced. The "light" RRA .308 was still 9.2 lbs without scope or ammo.

The actual weight of the rifle does not bother me as long as it does not affect the shootability. The DPMS I have looked at has the carbon fiber handguards, 18 inch barrel and the integral brake. I actually laugh when you watch the gun mags talk about how expenditures of thousands of dollars are so worth it to have gun that is under 6 pounds etc. I am six foot and 260 with a 36 inch waist. If I want to carry 2 pounds less into the field it would be much cheaper for me to pay for a month long membership to the gym.......LOL. I have owned and will continue to own lots of AR-15's I just have always had a sweet spot for the 243 Winchester. I have also considered the 243 WSSM but just dont have the same feeling towards it. Do you guys have any photos of your rigs? I would love to see them.

Blopez50 that is one great looking rig. I would love to see the 243 upper once you get it. Excuse my ignorance but how is it for hunting? Any kills with it? Nice to see a NM member.....I grew up around the Aztec, Farmington area just over the Colorado border.

Thanks brotha. I believe the 243 should be in this week so ill post pics asap.

Its not a great pic but I shot my deer last year with it.
IMG_0558.jpg

I grew up in easter NM and always wished our country was as beautiful as that area!

I have a Remington R25 in .243 Win. Not sure of it`s weight but pretty sure it weighs more than the DPMS you are looking at.
The R25 works/functions,very well and I have no complaints about it.
There`s a picture of it in the thread at the top of the page (show pictures....)or just go to Remingtons web page and see one there.

Heres a pic of my R-25 in 243win, they are made by DPMS and should be pretty much the same. They are shooter's and 100% reliable..

guns003-1.jpg

R-25001.jpg

^ How have those performed on game?

I was between those and the 55 NBTs for my 243 upper thats coming in and went with the 55s (for no particular reason)..

Any idea what kinda speed youre getting with them?

Last edited:
Only took one coyote with it so far blopez; Instant death.
The 55g Noslers grouped well too as well as 70&80g Sierras but nothing as well as the 58`s.
I would like to find something a little heavier that works as well , but have not had the time to do much tweaking on loads that show promise...bad habbit of buying (adding) another rifle when I find something that works good.
crazy.gif

ETA- no idea realy of velocity; 1/2g less than max suggested charge of IMR4064 which shows 3800fps

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: blopez50Thanks brotha. I believe the 243 should be in this week so ill post pics asap.

Its not a great pic but I shot my deer last year with it.
IMG_0558.jpg

I grew up in easter NM and always wished our country was as beautiful as that area!

My god man, that .308 is TOO much for the deer in your area! You blew its entire body off...;)

Must have been a hot load!!

To the OP - if you want a LAR-8, 243 - call and they will build it up as a complete kit. The LAR's weigh right at 8 lbs but the comment on the gym is a great point.

I've liked their AR-15's and am starting a slush fund for a 7mm-08. I do like the 6.8's I've got and look forward to some venison roasts the new little cartridge will provide. But the thought of a 800 yard AR sets the heart pumping!

Ted

Last edited:
I prefer Armalite to the others mentioned, but if I had to choose I'd probably take the DPMS over the LAR, at least at this point in time. The LAR, once proven for a longer period of time may surpass the DPMS. The Armalite is the spawn of all the others though. Just my .02. I'm sure all will serve you well.

I don't have a 243 but I do have a ar10 in 7-08. It's an armalite platform that d-tech put together. I like it and is a tad heavy but it's such a joy to shoot. I owned a 338 federal in the dpms platform with the same configuration you are speaking of. It was lighter than my 7-08 and it seems like it came from the materials used. It functioned properly so no composite there. I would look towards a sponsor and they can build it any way you want. That's my thoughts.

Back