.30-06 Coyote Round

tdouglass

I have been reading some conflicting info on yote hunting with an -06.

Some say a larger bullet such as 180 gr. is best because it won't have time to expand before it exits the dog.

Some say the small 55 gr bullets designed for predators, but some claim those leave craters for exit wounds.

I realize any .30-06 round is more than enough to kill a yote, but I would like to keep the hide.

What experience do you all have with yotes and .30-06?

Thanks

I don't have experience with .30-06 but other large caliber rifles I have shot coyotes with the heavier bullets work best but you have to stay away from bone or there will be hide damage.

Don't think you would wanna use a 30-06 if you plan on keeping the fur. I have shot a few during deer season and it really blew a hole in them. I was using 165 grain bullets.

Originally Posted By: jdvigDon't think you would wanna use a 30-06 if you plan on keeping the fur. I have shot a few during deer season and it really blew a hole in them. I was using 165 grain bullets.

One theory I was reading was the bigger bullets will pass through without expanding. Thus no gaping exit wound.

Would that still be enough to kill them without a perfect shot though?

i have quite a few coyotes ( 250+) . with a lot of different calibers. the 7mm mag and 30-06 are hard on the hide compared to a .222 . you do not say if you at reload. you do not say what rifle/scope. you do not say how many coyotes you have already shot. i would try the greek cmp ammo. a 150 fmj at 2700.

Check your state laws before you use FMJ's. They are illegal in most states to hunt with. Fur friendly and 30 06 hardly go in the same sentence. I would guess a heavier more solid constructed bullet would be ebst if it didn't hit bone.

When I shot this cat I was hoping for a complete pass through with two tiny .30 caliber holes in and out...but if you hit bone....all bets are off.. Granted a cat is much smaller than a coyote but I figure results would be similar.

People are probably tired of this pic but it really does a good job of showing the kind of damage to expect. The bullet was a 165g Hornady SST.

1295581225.jpg

Looking for a fur friendly .30-'06 round is a lot like looking for a Christian-friendly al-Qaeda cell.

That being said, I got a double one time with .30-'06 Fed. Premium 165 gr. boattails. It wasn't pretty. Never used that gun again.

Last edited:
How good are you at head shots is my question? The only yote I have shot w/ a "large for yote" caliber that didn't "gut" the yote was when I hit a mangy yote in the head with a .270, 140gr SST at about 140 yards (I'd like to say it was intentional, but it wasn't). I wasn't hunting 'yotes and thought I'd do this one a service and end his life about 3 weeks early.

sounds like coyote huinting is a good excuse to go out and buy a new gun!!! i do remember seeing ssome smaller grain bullets at sportsman one time. they had a little plastic shroud around them to be able to fit in the casing.

My suggestion would be to trade the 30-06 on a 17 Rem Fireball. if you want to save hides. Even a 243 Can be very destructive on coyotes. I shot one broadside with a 60 gr. Euber Hollow point and when I got to the DRT coyote, You could have easily stuffed a bobcat in the exit hole.

Just my .o2

I'd go with a cast bullet, I load 113gr,150 gr and the 170gr Lee Cast. I would think the 113 gr would be the best for yotes and my Sav 110 would shot those very accurately out to 250 yards- used it for Wissle pigs never got a shot at a yote with them though. I don't have the Savage any more and my Current '06 in the Rem 7400 will not cycle them. But it does the Lee 150gr and they would my next chioce. If not cast 150 FMJ should do.
smile.gif

Last edited:
I wouldnt get rid of the the 30-06, everybody should have one.

Just save and get something smaller, and dont waste your time with the accelerators.

I just got my hides back from the tannery and they look great. They were taken with 180gr Accubonds. I've been using 165gr Accubonds so far this season (they were on sale) and only ruined one thus far. I like using the 30-06 on coyotes--especially if I pull a deer tag. It gets me used to shouldering it quickly and making an accurate shot (most of the time) so come deer season, it feels familiar.

Last edited:
Back