CZ 453 American 22lr

tom223

I am looking at this rifle. Does anyone have one? How do they shoot? How do you like the trigger? What is the difference between the 452 and 453. I know where I can get a NIB 452, or should I get the 453. Any feedback would very helpful. Thanks Tom

The difference is the trigger.

Some guys would rather save the 100.00 +-, and buy one of the Brooks/Yo Dave trigger fix kits for around 15.00.

I've installed two of the kits and wasn't that impressed with either.
Never tried one of the 453's triggers, but they're allegedly the same trigger the 527 has without the set function.
I'd get the 453, but that's just me. The next guy will tell ya the opposite, and the next guy will start a fight over the matter. Welcome to the Internet.
grin.gif

Both are very likely to be accurate, and are getting scarce since CZ replaced that model with the 455 so don't hesitate to long if ya can get a good deal on either.

Luck

I believe the main difference between the two is that the 453 has a single set trigger. Most of the guys at my local range that shoot in the "squirrel matches" shoot CZ's. Those that switched to 453's said that they didn't see any difference between the two in accuracy. The main benefit was that they didn't have to work on the 453's trigger like they had on the 452.

But it worked out good for me, because I got my used 452 at a pretty good deal.

Buy the 452 and save your $$. Get a trigger job or buy a Rifle Basix trigger. I had both and didn't care for the set trigger. Seems I had to reach for the trigger when it was in the set position. You'll love either rifle I'm sure!

Originally Posted By: RePeteSome guys would rather save the 100.00 +-, and buy one of the Brooks/Yo Dave trigger fix kits for around 15.00.

Bingo. I can't imagine the trigger on my .17hmr being any better. I have the Brooks kit in mine, but Yodave is the same thing, but Yodave won't rip you off like Brooks might.

I have a CZ452 in 17M2, the trigger is fantastic..Im just not sure what kit it is as I traded another rifle for it.

I say pick your poison, you wil more than likely be very pleased with both
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: LeviSSbut Yodave won't rip you off like Brooks might.

So Brooks is a little on the shady side to deal with or what?

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesOriginally Posted By: LeviSSbut Yodave won't rip you off like Brooks might.

So Brooks is a little on the shady side to deal with or what?

Yeah, he's not well regarded over on rimfirecentral. Lots of reports of him not sending the product out and not returning emails. I ordered my kit when I ordered the gun from whittakers, so I didn't have a problem, but there are lots who have when dealing directly with Brooks.

My understanding is that Brooks is no longer around due to his reputation for poor service. Yo-Dave took over that market and seems to be pretty well thought of for both quality and CS.

Can someone that "ACTUALLY OWNS" a 453 clear up the set function for me.
My understanding is that the 453's trigger is similar to the single set used in the 527 but without the set function.
I've never owned or handled a 453 so I'm not sure what to believe.

I have a 453v ....To "set" the trigger you just push it forward until it clicks then you are gtg. It will also function in regular mode if you do not set it. I have not showed my 2 sons how to set it as I have it adjusted very light. And like I always tell them "when I think you need to know I'll let you know". For the money I don't think you can buy a better 22. As far as i know CZ is the only 22 in the $ range w/the barrel threaded to the action. I have a 40x rf, 52c, h&r m12, and kimber 82 the CZ will hang with any of them an has the best trigger. If you can find a better 22.(453/452)for the $$$ let me know cuz I'll buy one.

Sotex

Last edited:
Thanks SoTex
Sounds like it is indeed the same trigger CZ puts in their 527 Centerfire rifles and very well may be worth the extra money.

FYI,,, the 455 that has replaced the 452/453 model's barrel in NOT threaded.
They're actually selling em in a 22lr 17hmr combo package.
Not sure if CZ was going after the Sako Quad market or the 10/22 market, but from what I hear they're hit and miss in the accuracy dept.
To bad, because that 452 truly was a value.

I can't see the interchangable barrels as a plus as far as accuracy as most all true target quality 22's have the barrel either theaded or silver soildered to the action.
Some smiths even thread the action on 10/22 77/22's. I probably would not buy a 455 for this reason. Might have to buy the boy's each a 453/2v while you can still getem.

Sotex

Originally Posted By: SoTex Might have to buy the boy's each a 453/2v while you can still getem.

Sotex

Good idea.
Better hurry though. Thy''re getting scarcer and pricier every day.

I'm a real trigger snob, so I couldn't warm to the kits, but for most they're probably fine, and still far better than most factory triggers, so don't walk away from a good deal on a 452 if ya find one.

repete,

Just to try and clarify, Your saying only the new 455's are "not" threaded.... So If I buy a nib/nos 453/452 it will be threaded???? I guess what I'm asking is there any production overlap where 452/453's are not threaded???

thanks Sotex

Gary:Your HM2 has a automation solutions sear and spring in it.

You can still get these at Brownells for about 70$ or you can get a complete Rife Basix trigger for about 100$

I put automation solutions in both of my 452's and have been very pleased.

452 + Yo Dave kit..if you can get a 452 Varmint suggest you do..I like the barrel contour and length. I have had this rifle in .17 HMR w/Brooks trigger kit for years - my favorite PD rimfire.

I can't see +$100 for the 453..I have a 527 Varmint in .204 and great rifle but for sure its single set trigger isn't worth a $100 more than 452 + Yo Dave..to me anyhow.

Originally Posted By: SoTexrepete,

Just to try and clarify, Your saying only the new 455's are "not" threaded.... So If I buy a nib/nos 453/452 it will be threaded???? I guess what I'm asking is there any production overlap where 452/453's are not threaded???

thanks Sotex

No overlap. Only the 455's have the interchangeable barrels.
Here's a link showing the new system.
http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/455-american/

CZ's web site still shows the 452/453 models, but I'm pretty sure they've discontinued em.
They do however listen to the public (or more likely their accountants)once in a while, so they may have changed their thinking and decided to make all three????
You might try e-mailing them, but my last e-mail went unanswered.

Luck

I think I read they are planing to keep the 452 American also in left hand configuration... But I could be wrong.

Buds has them right now though, so just in case, I'd be jumping on one if I wanted one

This thread is going to cost me some money....2 sons = every gun x2..... gets expensive or I can buy 1 and give up the one I've got... or buy 2 more, oh my! thats every gun x3 Yikes!!! xx gun x3. still probably cheaper than 1 wife + 1 daughter.

Sotex

Originally Posted By: getfoxyI think I read they are planing to keep the 452 American also in left hand configuration... But I could be wrong.

Buds has them right now though, so just in case, I'd be jumping on one if I wanted one

Well, the 452 was removed from CZ's site for a long time, but now it's back so they very well may have changed their minds.
Hope you're right cause I'd hate to see that one go away.

Back