First results with 8208 XBR & 53 V-Max in my AR

hylander

Tried some 8208 XBR with the 53 V-Max today.
Rifle is an RRA SS 16" Middy, 1:8
Loaded 24.4, 24.6, 24.8, 25.0
Started with 24.4, results were OK, but nothing to write home about. No pressure signs at all, still very rounded primers, so I jump ahead to the 25.0 load, Much better
smile.gif

I'm going to try 25.0 again and also move up .2 until I get to 25.6 or show pressure signs or accuracy goes south.
I'm also trying Sierra 65sbt and 40 V-Max with the 8208 XBR.

Picture1049.jpg

Just for referance: My standerd load for hunting.

Picture1047.jpg

Picture173.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HeadHunter204Id definitely stick with that 24.8. That's a darn good group.

Eh. That is H-335. Not sure about the temp. factor on that stuff.

OP. I would suggest taking the best and trying to duplicate it another 2 or 3 separate times..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UtahShooterOriginally Posted By: HeadHunter204Id definitely stick with that 24.8. That's a darn good group.
Eh. That is H-335. Not sure about the temp. factor on that stuff.
OP. I would suggest taking the best and trying to duplicate it another 2 or 3 separate times..

H-335 is alittle Temp sensitive.
When the temps get in the 90's and above groups will vary, still staying well under MOA though.
Mag Primers seem to help with consistantcy.
I am going to load 25.0 of XBR for a few more groups and also bump it up.

Are you positive that 4th shot on the 25gr charge was not a flyer? Have you tried Benchmark powder yet? I'm using almost the same charge as your 335 and it will print any 55gr bullet (except nightmare x's) just the same if not smaller groups then your 335.

Originally Posted By: dmpowderAre you positive that 4th shot on the 25gr charge was not a flyer? Have you tried Benchmark powder yet? I'm using almost the same charge as your 335 and it will print any 55gr bullet (except nightmare x's) just the same if not smaller groups then your 335.

Actually, the one out was the first shot just after running a Bore snake though it, the next three were the
tight group.
I have tried Benchmark with no luck so far.

Went out today to comfirm my load development.
As you can see, 25.2 opens up a little, I also tried 25.4 and it Really opened up, no sense in showing those groups.
Needless to say, tomorrow I will be stocking up on 53 V-Max's and I already have a few more pounds of 8208 XBR coming
smile.gif

Picture032.jpg

Picture036.jpg

I really want to give the 53gr vmaxs a run. Almost the same BC as the 69MK. And it can be pushed much faster. I tried a couple boxes of the superformance but the standard deviation on the MV was a way too high for any longer range work.

Yeah I got my 8 lbs of XBR the other day and have had a couple of good groups with it but still prefer Benchmark for the 55's. I may have to try the 53's as I only got good groups with the NBT's and the Midsouth.

24.5 and 55gr NBT's is the only load I was able to get one hole with. I did try some 50gr Vmax and they did give me some groups worth trying again. I will say my barrel may need a cleaning and I will try some of the loads again.

I will try some of the 53 Vmax while I wait on my 264LBC upper and if they don't shoot I sure hope it works better in the 6.5 if not I'm set on plinking powder!

I went to the range again the other day.
The 53's shot .51
Also tried some Hornady 55sp and they shot .63
I am a "Happy Camper"
Wish I had a Chrony

One thing to note:
POI was different with the 55sp, 1.25" high and 1/2" right of the 53's

Last edited:
Back