Anyone eat Squirrel's?

UtahShooter

I have this wierd idea of eting a Squirrel. Not sure as to why but just curious if there are ones you should stay away from? How to cook them? Just a bit of info really.

Squirrel is good stuff. Not as good as rabbit but still good. We usually don't eat the big males but females and small males are good to go. Lots of ways to cook them. I'll see if I can dig up a recipe or two

fry them up with a good crust and then make gravy out of the grease..... dont get much better than that. or save a big bunch up and make Pulled Squack bbq out of it

Originally Posted By: 22-250ohiofry them up with a good crust and then make gravy out of the grease..... dont get much better than that. or save a big bunch up and make Pulled Squack bbq out of it

+1

Never eaten ground squirrel (I'd try it - but then I'll try about anything.
wink.gif
) Tree squirrels: (gray or fox) I shoot around a hundred a year and every one of them gets eaten.

I've had red"fox?" squirrel before and it was actually really good, never had gray though. Ya know the old saying from Bob Goldthwait" Try mink, try Squirrel, tastes just like chicken! funny, cause it kinda did, lol.

One thing I'll mention.. squirrel (except for the very young ones) does tend to be tough. So, I would consider parboiling until fork tender - then roll in flour or cornemeal and brown.. or Roll in seasoned flour, brown - then put in a Dutch oven or the like (Crock Pot will work) with a little chicken broth and steam for and hour and a half. Older squirrels will take a bit longer.

Then - as stated above - make gravy from drippings. Possibly the best gravy known to man.
wink.gif

Tree rats are tasty critters when prepared well!
I'd be kinda scared of Western ground varieties, with all the diseases they've been known to carry! Although, I do remember a bubonic plague epidemic in the squirrel population in Denver in 1968
scared.gif

F1

Originally Posted By: UtahShooterOk, so call me stupid but drippings? from the oil or the dutch oven?

not at all Utah.. You can drain off most of the oil and use the drippings from the oil (make a roux) but I use those from the Dutch Oven. Waaayyy better stuff in there!
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: 22-250ohiofry them up with a good crust and then make gravy out of the grease..... dont get much better than that. or save a big bunch up and make Pulled Squack bbq out of it

+1 squirrel gravy and biscuits for breakfast mmm good stuff. You can also save them up and make a stew

Grandma had me exterminate a bunch around the yard one time. Had their house and 8 rental units scattered over about 5 acres. I shot 20+ over the weekend. She browned them, stewed up a big pot of gravy, and put them in the pressure cooker. Want to say she cooked them about an hour in the pressure cooker, but when she was done, they would melt in your mouth.

Recipes?? All ya gotta do is Google it... Squirrel Recipes

Originally Posted By: UtahShooterSo I do believe that most around here are tree or ground squirrel's. Does that make a difference?

Yes it does, tree squirrels are very clean creatures. Where the Western ground squirrels can carry plague due to their living habbits. If I were you I would steer clear of the beldings or 13 stripes. Adam

I hadn't eaten squirrel in years, so the other day I shot a couple after cutting some fire wood and then got on YouTube and watched some recipes. I decided on this one. Roll in seasoned flour fry in oil till golden brown then add a couple cans of cream of mushroom to it and put in the oven for about two hours on 325. They were awesome. You can even learn different ways to clean them by watching you tube. Good luck.

Virtually any of the gound squirrels are edible.. and most eat quite well. Like any small game (especially rodents) they are susceptible to disease and it is probably best to use rubber gloves to dress any small game. That said - I'm 60+ - I don't use them - never have - never will - and will feel fortunate if it's a squirrel kills me (even better a 25 year old jealous husband).

It is often external parasites that carry disease so watch the fleas/lice - wear rubber gloves.. and eat them... and tell me how they tasted.. if it grows in Iowa I have probably tasted it.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Hide HunterVirtually any of the ground squirrels are edible.. and most eat quite well. Like any small game (especially rodents) they are susceptible to disease and it is probably best to use rubber gloves to dress any small game. That said - I'm 60+ - I don't use them - never have - never will - and will feel fortunate if it's a squirrel kills me (even better a 25 year old jealous husband).

It is often external parasites that carry disease so watch the fleas/lice - wear rubber gloves.. and eat them... and tell me how they tasted.. if it grows in Iowa I have probably tasted it.
laugh.gif

I would love too. I always see them at the park and none in the mountains.

Back