Oregon Archery Elk Hunt (pics)

bowhunt32

Just got back from a 10 day elk hunt here in my home state. Man, it was a tough season, only seeing a few elk. Elk numbers in my hunting area seem way down from past years, but I was still able to manage to call up a bull for my hunting buddy. He has hunted hard for years, and luck has just never fallen his way. This year things changed. He shot this bull at 40 yards, and absolutely drilled him. We watched him tip over.

On the morning of September 11th, we got to a high meadow that I killed a bull in last year. Upon getting there, still 1/2 hour before light, I was able to get this bull to answer a series of cow calls. We moved closer to him and set up. I cow called a few more times followed by a young bull bugle. He screamed back at us. We waited silently. After about 2-3 minuts, we could hear him splashing in a wallow. I called a few more times, and again hit him with a young bull bugle, and we hear the crashing. Galloping like a horse, he closed a couple hundered yards in no time. When he got to 40 yards, I cow called to stop him and my buddy hit him with a 100g muzzy. He ran out into the center of the meadow and tipped over. After lots of pics and skinning, quartering and boning, we got him out after three trips. Every year, I forget just how darn heavy these critters are.

Here's a few pics.

103_2209.jpg

103_2174.jpg

103_2180.jpg

103_2182.jpg

103_2192.jpg

Looks to me like it will butcher up into some really good eating.Nothing better than a big plate of steaks,a few beers,and reliving the hunt. Nice job guys!

Thanks guys! I have to say, that I've killed quite a few bulls, but being with a guy that gets his first, after years of putting in the work was really awesome experience to be a part of. If anyone deserved a bit of success this guy did. I've hauled him all over these mountains for years, and put in miles every day. Never one complaint. He's packed out 5 or 6 of my bulls, so to be able to call him in a bull and pack his weight for once, was very cool!

Back