50 gr TNT in 22-250?

Dixiedog1

I recently acquired a barrel for my Encore and am trying to decide what I need to pick up for loading supplies. I've got a lot of the TNT's that I have for my .223 and thought I could likely use the same bullet for each so I don't have to purchase more bullets. I also have TAC, Varget, IMR 4064, and H380 powders on hand so I think I should be all set there...one of them is bound to work well for the 22-250.

Any 22-250 shooters using the Speer 50 gr TNT bullet? If so how fast can they be pushed before they tend to disintegrate?

turbo i have used both h 380 and varget out of my rem 788 with 50 gr tnts here is what i have for data with the h 380 i shot 38 gr ad 38 1/2 gr they cronoied 3554 fps and 3613 fps the 38 gr load shot in the .3s for 5 shot groups. i only tried varget with one load and it was 35.5 gr and this was at 3827 fps it shot in the .5sthis was shot at 42 degrees temp and flattened the primer but no problem with bolt lift. these are from the early 90s havent done any more with this combo bill

At 3600ish fps you didn't suffer any vaporizing bullets? I'm planning to use them for coyotes but want to make sure they hold together long enough to hit the coyote.

It is not only how fast, but how many RPM's they are doing. A fast twist such as a 9" twist will make the 50's fly apart faster than the speed.

I shot them at 3650 in a smooth custom barrel with no issues.

If you are using the TNT's on coyotes out of your 22/250, you may be better off to sell them and buy a tougher bullet such as a 50g sierra Spt, or any of the Sierra 55g Bullet line. Nosler 55's are excellent also along with the cheap 55g HOrnady Sp. The above are the bullets that I tried with great results with Win 760, IMR 4064, and 4895.

A friend shoots the 50's with R#15 getting very small groups.

Good luck!

I still use TNT's in my 223 so I can just use a heavier bullet if that's what it takes. I had heard good reports on terminal performance of the TNT's which is why I thought about using them in the 22-250 also...I've got a few boxes of 55 gr Vmaxes that I can use instead if the TNT's just don't hold up.

You should be able to get a touch over 3900 fps in a 1in14 twist. I do with BenchMark. But I am doing it with Hornady and Sierra 50 grain pills. But the Speer should be able to handle the heat. If not then go to a V-Max. That will get her done. Tom.

I used 50gr. TNT's in my 22-250 just once. They exploded on the way to the target. Guess they were going too fast. Somebody told me they weren't designed for the excessive speed.

Last edited:
Turbo:

Saw your post re the Speer TNT in the 22/250. I don't use that bullet, but an excellent Speer bullet in the 22/250 is their 52 gr. Hollow Point.

How about just loading three up for 3600fps loads? If they
don't make it to the target, load up three for 3500fps, etc.,
etc., until they get to the target (you will need to adjust
the scope for that load, anyway).

I'm betting that if your Encore barrel was made by T/C, it is
a 1:12 twist, and the bullets will be ok @ 3600fps.

Good luck.

Back