what the crap??

nastynatesfish

i got the barrel put on my rifle, put the new rifle length gas tube on it. everythings PEACHES! not so much, took it out to shoot this morning. it shoots great so far, butttttt its not ejecting the spent cases? it was a carbine 16 setup, now i have the 20" rifle system on it. do i need to order a new buffer? i checked my gas hole and its lined up fine, no carbon or soot around the gas block. so whats the survey said, HURRY BEFORE I START BUYING STUFF

i just put the new barrel on it. its not even opening as far as i can see. like i said the gas block is solid and the tube is going into the bold fine

If the action is not opening up at all, I'm wondering if there maybe an obstruction in the barrel hole or gas block ?

carbine systems are made to function at a higher pressure,rife system function a little softer becacuse the pressure drops the longer the gas system is,i would think it would have to be opening some, even a mostly clogged tube will short cycle

well all this just goes to prove im a dumb@$$, lol
first, if you decide to get all exited about a purchase and even more exited about it showing up at your front door dont start putting stuff together when its almost dark after a 14hr days work.
soooooo i had the gas tube turned 180 in the block so the hole in the gas tube was facing the top of the gas block....it was positively blocked but from being silly and not waiting to put stuff together till the next day. ill take it out tomorrow morning and get a target shot up and post a pic. thanks for the help guys. i got the idiot plug removed.

So what your saying is I was right
wink.gif
there was Blockage.
Atleast it was someting simple and you didn't have to start throwing money at it.

yessir your were correct. i still just ordered the rifle buffer and spring from joeboboutfitters, i was bound to spend some money on it. nothing i ever has is an easy fix like that lol

I would use the buffer and spring for the type of stock you have, not for the barrel length.

The stock type is what determines the spring and buffer, they are dependent on the stock because of the length of travel for the buffer to absorb recoil and cycle the weapon, use the buffer and spring for the type of stock you have, it should work with any barrel, gas system combination.

I use my m4 configured lower to test fire all my upper builds - 16, 18 , and 20 inch barreled uppers and have never had a feed problem

Originally Posted By: AllPredatorCallsI would use the buffer and spring for the type of stock you have, not for the barrel length.

Yep. That rifle buffer/spring is gonna be to long if your stock is carbine length.

Originally Posted By: AllPredatorCallsI would use the buffer and spring for the type of stock you have, not for the barrel length.

The stock type is what determines the spring and buffer,

That's true between rifle/carbine length, but there are at least 4 carbine weights, depending on how many steel and how many tungsten slugs are installed.

You can tune the bolt recoil action to the gas system by changing weights. You put the heaviest buffer into an upper that functions fine with a light buffer and it will likely short-stroke.

buffer-construction.jpg

Good info Evil Lurker.

There are a lot of opinions as to when and where to use H2 & H3 buffers. Many who use them are looking to slow down cyclic rates and reserved them for use in short barrel (under 14.5 applications), full auto, or suppressed applications.

Back