6mm-06 or AI Info

kyotekiller25

Have been thinking about picking up a donor savage long action to build a longer range coyote/cheaper 1K steel ringer.

I have been thinking about going with the 6mm-06, or even going the AI route.

Its basically a 240 wby without the cost of brass which is a big plus for me. Buy 25-06 brass and simply run it thru and fireform to your chamber.

I would go with a 26" stainless super match pac-nor, with 1-8". Wanting to get the 87g vmax to 3600fps and the 105 to 3300fps. Dont know if thats easily attainable or not but thats what I'd like to see with those bullets.

Figure I would shoot at the smallest 80g NBT, more then likely it would get fed the 87g vmax for out to 600-700, and then it would also have a load with the 105 amax out to 1K+

Anyone have any real world info on the 6-06 or AI and care to share some tid bits or some velocities attained would be great.

My dad built a 6mm-06. It is flat out the most accurate gun I've ever seen. He puts daisy BB gun targets at 100 yards and shoots one hole in each one. You can stack the targets and they all line up perfectly.

By "built" I mean he starts with someone's action (which he trues up) and a barrel blank and goes from there.

He doesn't exactly surf the internet so I'll call him and see if he'll tell me what he did.

I just noticed where you're at. He's in The Dalles, so if you'd like to look him up I could probably arrange that.

I would look at the 6mm rem ackley improved. I think that cartridge, Can hang with the 6-06, 240, 6-284. I have a 6 rem and regret not having it chambered into a 6 rem AI

I did some load development with a 240 wby Mark V over 40 years ago. I will never forget it. It was more accurate than the 25-06 Rem. varmit special I was working with at the time.
If it were I , I would prefer a 6MM/270. I have no proof but think domestic 270 brass is better than domestic 30-06 brass. Off the shelf 270s shoot good for a reason. Maybe tighter tolerance on the 270 rifles and ammo. Just saying.

IMO. If you are looking at the '06 case then go wth the 6.5-06. It will serve you better in the down range, and bullet selection is much better. Down range performace with the 6.5 is unmached by the 6mm.

I have a 6mm AI, all I have shot through it so far are 70 grain NBT. I have a slow twist barrel (1 in 14) so that is the heaviest bullet I can shoot. I think the 1 in 8 is a better way to go so you can shoot the heavy bullets and take advantage of the good b.c.'s they offer. Good luck with your build.

I did a custom build last year in 244 Ackley Improved on a Rem 700 long action, Krieger 26” 1-12 twist. Might take a look at this cartridge to see if it fits your goal.

Good luck

B..

I already have a 264 Win Mag, so a 6.5-06 isn't gonna happen right now, although a very good cartridge itself.

I need a 6mm of some sort for coyotes, they go together great.

I have thought about the 6-284 win, 243 AI, 6mm AI, 6-06, 6-06 AI.

Just kicking some ideas around a bit.

I was getting 3500+fps with my 24" Douglas XX tube and 87gr V-maxes and 85gr XLCs. They shot to basically the same POI, which made the rifle a lethal combination tool.

After you get over the initial sticker shock of the dies, the 6-06 makes a lot of sense. It is a tad faster than the 240 Wby, and brass is obviously much cheaper.

Personally, if I did not go with the 6-06, I would just stick with the 243/243AI........

I am getting 3585fps with a 240wby shooting 87 bergers, and in a pinch you can always buy factory ammo.The brass for the 240 is quality so it does cost a little more than cheap 06 brass, but it lasts.

norma and wby brass is pretty soft when loaded to max pressure, its not that good of brass considering what your paying for it.

I am liking the 6-06/AI idea more and more since its a LA, I dont like SA cartridges all that well and how they tend to feed at times.

Thanks for the help guys.

Originally Posted By: kyotekiller25norma and wby brass is pretty soft when loaded to max pressure, its not that good of brass considering what your paying for it.

I totally agree.

Neck down some Winny 25-06 brass and your 6-06 is GTG.......

I has a 28" 6rem AI I can get 105 vld's to 3350. Primer pockets last about 6 reloads at that speed, so I run it a little slower then that. It is a 3 groove Lilja. But the fire forming is a pain. If i had a long action Id go straight 6mm-06 lot of good brass and easy to reload.

IMO the 6-06 is already overbore, so I don't see a lot of advantages in going AI. It is already a LASER. Barrel life is already short, and throat erosion would only be increased, IMO.....

Heya Kyote I just built a 6 ai off a savage action with a 30 inch Pac-nor was a fun project... Just need a new bolt knob now!
photo.jpg

Back