Looking at a Winchester M70 or Sako 85 ?

I own a new FN Model 70 Classic FW and a Kimber Montana in 243 Win that both have 10" twist barrels. Both of them shoot the Sierra 100 grain spitzer flat base (Pro-Hunter) and 100 grain BT spitzer (Game-King) bullets extremely well.

2muchgun, or anyone else with some knowledge. What's your opinion on the Steyer's? I emailed my local shop about Sako's and Winny's and they have a pro hunter or something along those lines in stock in .270.

I ask because my Dad is a big .270 guy it's worked for him for years and he sees no need to change it. I figured it might be a fine Christmas gift for him if they have positive reviews.

If I can launch a 105 Amax or 105 VLD hunter for the thicker game I will be getting the .243 Sako finnlight. I may try a model 70 SS if the right deal comes up. Both are 1-10"

Originally Posted By: Winny Fan
Some people find them to have too much European design influence involved in the stock and other features, but others like them. I guess it all comes down to what you personally like or dis-like in a rifle.

Bingo. I would be one of those people.

I say get your dad something a little more "classic".

Get one Sako, and one Winny, for you and pops. One M70 Featherweight, one M75 Finnlight.....

The 1-10 is not gonna run the 105s.

It'll run run "standard" 100s, 95gr NBT, and the various "80 somethings".

That is plenty good for mule deer and smaller, IMO. I have shot a ton of deer with various 243s. 100gr SGKs, 85gr Barnes, 100gr Hornadys, 100gr Win PPs, Partitions, I could go on. They all take deer quick and clean......

I like 100 gr Speer SPBT, 100 gr Sierra GK and ProHunter. I think they would cover the "mule deer down" criteria. I haven't tried the NPs yet, but they are a nicely constructed and well performing big game bullet.

Yeah, I am comfortable with that. I see Berger makes a VLD hunter in 95 grains. That should do the trick.

Has anyone bedded their 75/85 or Model 70? Get any improvement or do they come tight from the factory?

I have bedded both. The model 70s benefitted more.

95gr Berger VLDs are recommended for 1-9 twist, I believe. Although they shoot very well out of my 1-9.25" twist Remingtons, I have never tried them in a 1-10. You would have to push them hard to get them to work, no doubt......

I see some reviews saying they shot great out of the 1-10.
Grain of salt all of it, but I see several similar reviews.

I have not touched the FN Model 70 because it shoots extremely well as it is. The Montana came factory bedded and also shots very well, but it won't shoot with the model 70 as is.

I am a firm believer in the theory of, "If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it". I'd rather hunt and shoot than tinker. But that is just me. Some like to think otherwise and that is OK. Expectations and results differ from rifle to rifle and person to person.

If they shoot well, that is just one more good choice as far as bullet selection goes. I have yet to kill anything with them, but they shoot nice.....

I have never used any of the newer FN M70s. I would have to think them to be better quality than what was coming out of New Haven toward the end.

The late New Haven models had a "hot glue" type bedding. It almost always sucked, and needed to be removed and better properly. After a quick trigger job, they always shot well.....

Almost had the rifle... Unfortunately this morning the way he worded something with someone they where able to make another offer and get it...
I am second in line.

So back to the classifieds search!

Thanks for the assist guys!

Back