Bobcat & decoy pictures and 2 dead coyotes.

derbyacresbob

I went out coyote calling early this morning. I had my FOXPRO Fury blasting away when it was just barley light enough to see.

I was laying prone with my 22-250 and the Fury had been going for about 10 minutes when I saw a coyote charging in fast heading for the FOXPRO.

I muted the Fury but the coyote kept running fast and ran right up to the caller. The coyote turned and started running straight away but was not in a real big hurry. I hit my number 7 preset which is Vole Squeaks on volume 24.

The coyote couldn't stand it and had to stop to look back to see what was squeaking. The coyote was about 125 yards out standing broadside when I dropped him.
IMG_5891.jpg

I blanked on my second stand. On the third stand I had my shotgun and rifle with me and I was sitting in the shade of a juniper. I started out calling with Prairie Dog Distress and after a couple of minutes a male coyote started challenge bark howling at me fro about 500 yards away.

I hit my number 4 preset which is Male Coyote Challenge 4 and that shut the coyote right up. Then I played Coyote Pup Screams for about 1 minute and then muted the Fury.

About 4 minutes later I see a coyote about 30 yards away looking towards my Fury and Jack - Attack Decoy. I took a few pictures of him and then he turned to leave. So I dropped my camera and rolled him over with my shotgun.
IMG_5893-Copy.jpg

Before the shotgun picture.

IMG_5898.jpg

This is the after the shotgun picture.

On the fourth and final stand I didn't have any shade to sit in. I had my Fury and decoy sitting about 20 yards away from me and all I had on this stand was my camera and shotgun.

I tried quite a few rabbit sounds and it was getting hot. I set my camera down to wipe the sweat off of my glasses and I left my camera sitting beside me.

I didn't think anything was going to come in so I just got comfortable and started playing with my remote. I played some bird sounds and then played two different coyote pup distress sounds. I had been calling for over 20 minutes when I switched to Luckybird on volume 40. After a few minutes of blasting Luckybird I saw movement pretty close to me and it was moving fast.

I just knew it was a coyote charging in from my left, WRONG! It was a big bobcat so I reached down for my camera and the bobcat saw me move. If I would have kept my camera up in front of my face I am pretty sure the bobcat would have been on top of my FOXPRO Fury and Jack - Attack decoy.
IMG_5907-Copy.jpg

IMG_5912-Copy.jpg

IMG_5915-Copy.jpg

IMG_5918-Copy.jpg

I am surprised the pictures turned out as good as they did because I was looking straight into the sun.

For only calling on 4 stands it was a great day.

Way to go, Bob! I wish you would have seen that big old bobcat sooner so you could have captured the whole scenario on the camera. We have a bobcat season now in old Kaintucky, but we don't have the numbers in most areas to really have many encounters. I hope to get one this year and if I can get some pictures that compare at all to yours, I'll feel like a lucky possum. Kudos to you for all the good work.

Back