Looking at a Winchester M70 or Sako 85 ?

DFuller

Hey guys,
I am looking at getting something in the 7mm-08 or 260 chambers for a versatile rifle that will cover most everything.
I am looking at the Winchester Model 70's and Sako 85's.
Will I gain anything with the extra $200-$500 I spend on the Sako?
I don't want a Remington and will be selling a full custom 7mm Rem Mag to purchase this rifle so the extra money isn't a huge deal.

As far as purpose I will be using this to hunt from mule deer down.

Both are great rifles. I would go someplace where I could get them both in my hands and go with the one that felt best to you personally. I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

I am deployed right now so I can't touch them. And when home there is no shop that carries the higher end rifles. So I have to get all the data I can and make a blind move.

Both are excellent factory rifles and will serve you well. Whether the Sako is worth the extra money only you can decide that. As for a Cooper in a repeating rifle, they are a semi-custom rifle and they are a step above a factory rifle so the extra dollars there are generally worth it too for a buyer. I haven't looked recently to quote calibers, but Cooper might offer some interesting cartridge choices that the two factory rifles don't. Thank you for your service and get home safe.

I have both a M70 and a Sako 75 and in my opinion, the Sako is a better built setup as well as more accurate out of the box. I guess where you see the biggest difference is running the bolt...The Sako is much smoother.

I am going with the Sako.
I read about the Sako 75 and 85 don't guess I could go wrong either way. Anyone know of a distributor or dealer that still has the 75's?

I am really leaning towards the Finnlight unfortunately for me they offer many calibers and now I have to ponder on just how versatile I want the rifle to be.

Thanks Gentlemen.
Drew

Try Gunbroker for new old stock or slightly used 75s & 85s.

Two Sako 75s in 308 right now for sale on Gunbroker, 900 & 850.

Last edited:
Muskrat: .308 knocks them out of contention. I will keep an eye on GB though. I may just grab a new 85 from impact guns or euro optic if nothing pops up in a month or two.

2muchgun: I was really giving 7mm-08 a hard look. You are right .243 is awesome in a light do it all rifle, I may split the difference with a .260 though. I have seen some stellar performance from the 6.5's. But, then again the 7mm-08 has been calling me too.

Honestly as far as the caliber is concerned I will probably go with the best deal and put the extra money is some reloading dies and brass.

Last edited:
I'd have no problem with any of the makes you mention. I've owned one Sako and have nothing against them. But I'm partial to the newer Winchester 70's, an excellent rifle in my opinion.

I sure do like the looks of those sakos...maybe when I get my taxes back lol.

I could go for a hunter in a .243 .260 or 7-08

Looking forward to knowing what you decide to go with,

I would decide what you really want. If you want a deer rifle, I'd go 7-08. If you want a combo rifle, I'd go 243. No flies on the 260, as I own all 3.

I have 3 243s right now, and recently sold a couple. I would love a 75 Finnlight in 243, but it just doesn't seem to be in the cards right now.

I put a Mcmillan Sako Hunter on my 7-08. Great stock. Love it. It is one of my favorite deer rifles. My other fav is my Win 88 in 308. I have owned a LOT of rifles, so to be a favorite is saying something.....

100_0382.jpg

100_0379.jpg

Truth is, the gun was just fine for deer hunting before the McMillan, the bolt fluting, and the scope change. Although it certainly ain't no worse now......

100_0177.jpg

100_0171.jpg

Yes, especially if hunting down South I'd be content with a round smaller than the 308. I used to hunt MS & GA.

Just FYI, if one tries to log onto gunbroker from an international server your account can get 'frozen. I had that happen a few years back. It may of just been the location I was at. A simple email once home got me up & running again.

I have been able to log in with no hick ups fortunately.

I will only be in Alabama for another year and my days in the service will be done. Looking to go back to Texas or somewhere in the mid-west.

2muchgun: Do you think the Sako will chamber a 105 Amax and 105 VLD? These are the best medicine served in a 6mm to my knowledge. Should be good for yotes up to goats. Anything bigger and I have a 30-06.

Back