New String Question

VaDeerHunter

I recently had a new string installed on my bow, I was wondering is there a breaking in period, or should it be pretty consistant shot to shot. I'm asking because I was more accurate with the old string, could the new string cause some inconsistency before it settles in or is it me?

I dont know, I didnt put the new string on, I took it to a local bow shop. I may take it back something just dosnt feel right. I cant reach my normal anchor point, its like the string is shorter. I know the strecth some after time, but it dosnt feel anything like it did before. I didnt have my release or arrows when I picked it up so i couldnt shoot it there.

I would say its the stretch in the old string making the new one feel odd. How old was the last string?? If it was a couple yrs old there could have been a lot of strecth. Also, did they build the strings and cables or order them? If they built them they possibly could have the specs off. If you are concerned I would take it back to the shop and have them check it against the bow specs again.

the old string was probably 5yrs old, Im pretty sure he made the string. Im probably going to take it back just sucks the season starts in 2 weeks, and im sure hes covered up with work.

Maybe he will get ya in with a quick fix since he has worked on it and its not right, assuming he didnt make it right. Good luck. I know how it is going into season with the bow being down.

I had the same issue with a custom string this year, my old string was 3 1/2 years old and the new one didnt feel right and my accuracy fell off. After shooting the bow for a couple weeks everything finally came together and my accuracy came back? I cant put my finger on what changed but I am glad it did. Try drawing your bow with your eyes closed and ancher where it feels right, then open your eyes and if you arn't looking through your peep without adjusting your ancher point then you should have the peep adjusted, or draw length checked.

All strings stretch.. a new string need to be shot in. you will notice peep rotation, when that rotation finally stops that string is shot in. really all depends if you had a custom string made by someone who knows what they are doing or you bought a factory made string. not all strings are made the same. shoot it it will stretch out and your bow will then need to be re tuned. once that is done you will be good to go

We always made a second string after the bow was tuned and sighted in.I don't remember seeing any length difference from the original to the new one.We just put a Knock point,peep sight and whatever else was on the string in exactly the same place,then changed strings to double check and make sure it shot true and stored one away.That way,if you got a fray or some malfunction,you could be back out hunting in a matter of minutes.

Most strings now days are pre stretched atleast winners choice ones Ar and the ones bowtech uses the octane brand Wich might be winners choice with octanes name on it. I know when I got a new string I had to mess with my peep a bit cause it would twist. Make sure the peep isn't twisting when you pull back.

Originally Posted By: yotestomperAll strings stretch.. a new string need to be shot in. you will notice peep rotation, when that rotation finally stops that string is shot in. really all depends if you had a custom string made by someone who knows what they are doing or you bought a factory made string. not all strings are made the same. shoot it it will stretch out and your bow will then need to be re tuned. once that is done you will be good to go

True that!! There is no such thing as a string that doesn't strecth. Shoot in the new string and you'll be good to go.

New String?

Nock, Cam, Rest, Peep Sight, D-Loop, Draw weight, paper tuning, shoot atleast 50 arrows through it, etc.........

Once you have a new string on you will need to tweak all of the above!

I just went through this about a month and a half ago prior to Antelope season in Wyoming.

Not easy, not fun!

Chances are your old string was stretched and you were probably pulling 70lbs before the string stretched, then you were pulling 56lbs when your string stretched and now you are putting on a new string which is going to throw all the mechanics of a compound bow off of its axis.

Just my opinion!

Kevin

Get a bow square and all the other things like knock pliers and serving tool. Tuning a bow is not hard. It just takes a little patience and someone to teach you the ropes. Get those tools and once the new string is back in and and shooting good take a few notes. Nock hight above square , tiller and peep sight position measured from knock. You can go back to your notes and do it yourself then. I hate depending on other guys.
Good luck

Back