Got my first Coyote (nope,....kitfox), and it was a double!!!!!!!

Melting

Got my first yote today with the 6.8. Quit hunting about 830am and decided to hike to the top of a small mountain i had just called from the base of. Got to a saddle near the top and sat down on a small ledge. I went ahead and set up my caller thinking I might see a bobcat based on my location and some old scat i saw on the way up. I was enjoying the view when a coyote casually walked into view on an outcropping a few yards away. I reached for my rifle and realized i couldn't get to it w/o standing up. So I waited for the yote to look away, he kept looking down, i coildnt figure out why. I reached for the rifle and he bolted. when he stopped to look back I shot him him and over the edge he went. I sat down, congratulated myself and started packing up. Thats when coyote #2 crawled over the ledge about 4 yards away. one shot one miss and he steps forward, second shot second miss and he steps to within a yard of my foot, third shot, its going to be him or my foot, (this is where i come to appreciate the argument for a backup sight system, at 5 feet a scope is pretty much useless) bang, he flops over the edge, I hike down about 75 feet to gather some photographic proof. Totally awesome stand.
my only concern now is should i really be confident in the 6.8? based on the size of this beast maybe a 45-70 would be more appropriate, check the photo and judge for yourself.

RRA coyote carbine

Nikon coyote special

110 grain hornady vmax

Last edited:
Yep, I think its a kitfox. when i got it took the picture and headed out. But after your comment I took a closer look, wow, now i really feel stupid, but at least i'm not a baby killer anymore.

Some of you guys should take a look and let me know what you think.

Last edited:
I'm 137% sure it's not a coyote, I've shot pups before and the tail in the picture is far too long for a very young coyote in comparison to body size. Also the facial feature in relation to the ears are far more fox-like. I believe its a desert kit, although its pretty good size for a kit fox and you are lucky to get em during the day...they are pretty nocturnal

P.s. no need to feel stupid, it's easy to go out expecting a coyote, take a quick pic of something similar to a coyote and come back thinking you shot a coyote. Easy mistake to make

Maybe it's a "Coyfox"...
thumbup.gif
....Anyway, it's a good story and surly some excitement, especially considering the conditions at the time...

Quote: it's easy to go out expecting a coyote, take a quick pic of something similar to a coyote and come back thinking you shot a coyote. Easy mistake to make

Oh yeah, I do that stuff all the time. My most memorable was thinking I killed a cow elk but found out later it was a mule. It tasted like deer. hmmm. But fox, coyote, dog, wolf, hyena are even easier mistakes to make.

Can't see pics either, but congrats on whatever the heck it is ya killed.
thumbup.gif

That is a great story with lots of excitement no doubt. I'm proud you got your first predator for sure that is what it is all about.

I've read this post many times and tried to go on mouth shut. However since no one else has stepped up to the plate I will. I'm sure to make an enemy here and that is not my goal. To start with I have no idea how old you are or how long you've been hunting. But you need to learn the species in your area and learn to positively Identify every target beyond any doubt before you shoot anything. Once you saw this critter dead you should have known it wasn't a coyote{ I can understand confusing a gray and a kit}. Watch some videos, read about the species in your area on the net if nothing else. Read up on the laws in your area and make sure your not killing a protected animal. What if that had been a cat of some sort? There are protected cats species in nearly every state. I don't know much about your game laws, but say you were calling and a cat appeared. In Texas you better be able to tell the difference in a bobcat, ocelot, jaguarondi or jaguar. Not that there are many jaguars around anywhere, but there are places in south Texas, Mexico and Arizona where it is possible to see one. If you were to accidentally mistake any of the mentioned for a bobcat. Man that would be a serious offense as they are all on the endangered species list except the bobcat. In most states there are some crazy laws pertaining to bobcats.

Okay so you didn't kill a cat. What if that had been a wolf pup? No not many of them in most states either I'm just saying, please for your sake learn to tell the difference before you get yourself in trouble.

All of my kids{10-21} can tell the difference in most species of animals even the ones we don't have in Texas or The USA, but they were raised in a hunting family exposed to every type of hunting magazine and video you can imagine. Sometimes I take that for granted. I have to take time to remember that most of us were not that fortunate including myself. I wasn't raised in a hunting family either.

Now as I stated I'm not trying to make enemies or hurt your feelings. I'm glad you’re out there hunting. Please take the time to learn what you are shooting at before you get yourself in trouble. We have enough crazy laws that limit our hunting. Mistaking one species for another just helps the anti's get laws passed to limit us even further.

Now go have fun and be safe.

I can't see the photos but I am 100 percent with Guess on this one.

Just wondering, are grey or kits (can't see the photos) even open in your area right now?

I have a feeling if this happened up here, the game warden would not care what you thought they were.

Keep hunting but I hope you do a bit more homework, sorry for sounding rude but got to call it like I see it.

Guess yep, that's exactly what went through my mind, and as a consequence I've already spent some time online and money on a field guide. on the one hand I feel kind of stupid and on the other I feel like at least I'm out there trying, learning and finding some success. And learning is also why I'm here. So, your advice is good and appreciated.

Salemdawger, yes fox are open, yes I'm new, yes I did the hunter safety course, and checked on species and season dates in detail. Just saw what I expected to see, not what I was looking at, lesson learned.
This was my fourth time out and 15th stand.
Maybe I won't be the only one to learn something from this.

Last edited:
It is indeed good to indentify the target. Here in Kommiefornia the Kit Fox is a protected species so we have to be careful hunting Fox. "heck even Frogs are protected here". Glad you are pulling in some animals however, look forward to seeing what you call in next. Good luck.

It is indeed good to indentify the target. Here in Kommiefornia the Kit Fox is a protected species so we have to be careful hunting Fox. "heck even Frogs are protected here". Glad you are pulling in some animals however, look forward to seeing what you call in next. Good luck.

Back