Calling pheasants

NASA

Can it be done? Someone told me it could, but I'm skeptical. What is the calling behavior of pheasants like? Do they call year 'round or only to attract a mate? Most birds do the majority of their vocalizations during their breeding season. Like turkey, for instance. But turkey are territorial so they'll also respond to a challenge call in the fall. I'm not sure that pheasant will, though. I've heard pheasant calling in the springtime, in the morning, but that's about all.
What about some of you guys that live in pheasant country? Do you hear them all year long? Do you think they might actually come in to a hand call during pheasant season?

We have pheasants around the house and I don't hear them cackling on their own much except in the spring. They will answer a call by cackling, thus giving away their location most of the year, but I've never had one come to the call.

Pheasants call/crow all year around here. , usually morning and evening. They seem to have territories that the defend. I've often seenthem fighting in the spring.
As far as calls go, if you can find one that sounds like corn, I think that would work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I bought a Faulks Pheasant call at a gun show. I haven't tried it yet. It is an old wooden call.

The ringnecks here cackle everyday its seems they like to know where other birds are...they do have territories they establish and defend from younger birds or other roosters. I have a old pheasant call my grandpa gave me...but it sounds horrid. My training birds run from it and my dogs stop and look at me. If you did call spring during mating would be the best time..the males will challenge anything. let us know if you try it and it works...-Drew

I've never heard of it being done, But back when we use to raise phesants they would call year round.... They were mostly like turkeys thought and they only did it to loud sounds, and would do it on there own every once in a while..i dunno if this helps or not, i hope it does...

-PPH-

Though I've never seen or heard of a cock bird comming to a call, I've had luck in getting them to answer with a cackle. This gives me a heads up as to their location in a field. When I get a cackle response, I'll give a Redtail scream in attemp to make em sit tight (hide from the hawk) for my Setter. Sometimes it works, and other times ya better have your running shoes, and Richard Simmons chaps on, your goin jogging...lol

I've heard and watched the roosters call to each other, then search each other out to fight for territory.

I'd just like to know which calls sound realistic!?!

Looking at the Primos one right now....seen Faulks, Haydel's, etc.

Littletoes let us know which call you get and how it sounds. I've used a Siren before to locate coyotes, and quail calls help locate them, but I would like to know if there is a good pheasant locator.

Man, I can't believe someone dug deep enough to bring new life to this thread!
You must have really looked hard!!Hahaha

My limited experience concerning the topic.....
At times, I actually have induced a rooster (unintentionally, mind you) to come investigate me while on stand calling coyotes.
I was doing a poor version of both pheasant distress, clucks & soft excited "pre"-flush cackles.
I was making these sounds on a raspy-cottontail voiced custom closed reed call from DogHog Calls ("willowcreek", here on PM).
It took a lot of hours of sitting & listening to pheasants, & then lots of hours practicing, to figure out how to come close to making these sounds.
But they work wonders for calling coyotes. And like I say, it's even brought in curious roosters a few times.

Last edited:
Wow...This is interesting. I've never heard of a pheasant call before. I have to look them up and get one. I love pheasant hunting, but don't have a dog. I got one once, but it was right after they stocked and I had to walk about 7+ miles through rough fields. A call would increase my chances a lot if I could locate them to a general area.

The roosters crow here most of the year. They quit when the sound freezes in their throats and they are more concerned about survival than breeding. I have pheasant calls on my digital caller and it does work for predators but not pheasants. What does work(occasionally) is a howl and that just locates them while they warn the hens. As said earlier, it never hurts to issue a redtail hawk scream once in a while; that 'generally' gets them to sitting/hiding, making for easier flushes without a dog. Its worked often enough for us that we are convinced of its value.

Looks like all the guys who originally posted to the thread are long gone....the one had 20,007 posts....

Naw, some of us is still about!
wink.gif

Just caught this post.

My uncle Ken Heuser and his brother invented the first succesful pheasant call. It was marketted under the name "Har-Ken Pheasant Call" and the rights were sold to Lohman or Faulks in the late 50's or early 60's. My father would turn the barrels from walnut blocks, I spent many evenings sitting by the lathe talking with my dad as he turned them.

My dad just passed away and I found one of the calls in his old tackle box. We used to sit on the back porch and call them right into the yard. There were three basic calls, the locator, fight and flush call. The reed is pretty dead on the call I have. There were some 45 rpm records that they made to teach you to use the call.

They really worked but a good bird dog was alot more effective and we always had a good dog so just used it very little.

AWS

That is a piece of history that we would have otherwise never heard!

Is your Dad from Washington???

There are three bird calls I don't have at the time, and have my eye on two of them, quail, pheasant, and a mag-pie (that nobody in the U.S. makes, and I can't figure out how to make the sound of on a hand call-magpie).

Originally Posted By: RedfrogI got a magpie call from Bearmanric.With a little practice it works fine.
thumbup.gif

Alright now...I needs a pic, and the name of the call...as long as I get that everyone will be Fine.
scared.gif
scared.gif

Back