Calling Pigs?

I've never tried it but I am interested in info on this as well as we have lots of them at the ranch. I would guess the best sound would be corn hitting the spinner plate on my feeder since thats when the usually show up at our place
lol.gif

FoxPro's Lil Piggy and Baby Pig In Distress works pretty good day and night, I have called in a couple of sounder groups while out coyote hunting using these calls with my SpitFire and FireStorm. I usually let the sound go for 2-4 minutes and then listen for 5-6 minutes and repeat.

http://www.gofoxpro.com/soundlist.pdf

Snacker1.jpg

Ruger%20Mini%2030%20Snacker.JPG

Last edited:
I used my Foxpro a few times on hogs in Texas when my dad used to live there. I never had much luck calling them in blind but when I could get in the thick brush very close to them, I had several come in to the Sow Protection sound. It sounds like a sow grunting and a baby pig squealing. One day I had three different hogs come in one at a time and shot all three of them from 30 to 80 yards. Another day, I had a huge boar charge me from behind. I was sitting down waiting for a clear shot at some hogs that were moving back and forth through some brush. I had the Foxpro tied to the back of my belt with the Sow Protection call playing. From the corner of my eye, I saw a huge boar coming at me full speed. I got turned enough to shoot at him twice with my AR which turned him. He was only about 15 feet from me at this point. I was just pointing his direction and pulling the trigger. He turned and I got one shot into him as he disappeared back into the brush. I followed his blood trail about a mile down the river before I finally lost him. That is the closest I've ever been to getting mauled by any wild animal. We joked that I've hunted in grizzly country for years and a hog was what almost got me.

Originally Posted By: Blast-n-CastI've never tried it but I am interested in info on this as well as we have lots of them at the ranch. I would guess the best sound would be corn hitting the spinner plate on my feeder since thats when the usually show up at our place
lol.gif

I wish that would work here. Most years they will not hit feeders in this area consistantly enough for me to hunt that way.

I have called in many hogs over the years been called everything in the book for claiming I can. The crazy thing to me is how anyone can think you CAN"T! Any animal that uses vocalization to communicate can be called! It is just a matter of figuring out what to say and when. I've spent close to twenty years studying it and in the last 10 I have gone to extremes to study hogs including removing babies from a dead sow by C-section. Those babies unlocked so many mysteries for me it's unreal. I've had as many as 30 tame feral hogs penned up at one time and spent hours watching and listening to them.
The trick to calling hogs is finding where they hole up. Sanctuary type areas, comfort zones, bedding even feeding in standing crops such as corn.
I either use a grunt tube or foxpro. Always set the caller up down wind of the area you think the hogs will come from. The shooter needs to be down wind of the caller. I generally start out using bachelor fighting sounds mixed with Sow protection. these sounds will draw young boars and very mature boars. If nothing shows only then will I mix in pig distress sounds. this draws sows. If I'm hunting young eating size hogs I use a grunt tube and use contented grunts and social grunts. curious youngsters will come in and check it out.
when you are calling mature hogs and get their adrenalin up you better be ready to shoot! they usually come hard and fast!. I don't know what they would do if you didn't kill them. I'm sure they would run instead of fighting but I've never had the will power to let one live long enough to see. It's just too tough for me to let a hog live, don't get me wrong I love'em they taste great!
185425_237538956284805_100000861071457_648365_6634510_a.jpg

254640_237594129612621_100000861071457_648491_4590070_n.jpg

262513_237625189609515_100000861071457_648720_2926538_n.jpg

Over here in Florida the hogs usually hang in the thick impenetrable jungle swamps during the day resting, it is tough to get in there without dogs and move them out.

However, when it cools off near dusk especially and they come out looking for food they hang on the same trails they have been using unless they have been disturbed. Normally the trails lead from the swamp into a hardwood hammock and during the fall there is plenty of acorn mast from the oak trees as evidenced by their rootings. Getting between the deep swamps and fresh rootings is key.

I try to setup on these trails coming out of the swamp heads when they are moving out for food and call them with my FireStorm or SpitFire and SP-55 external speaker pretty loud.

Like Glenn said, when they come running they are charging hard and you best be ready if you are not in a tree because they will do some damage to someone.

I had a large 400 or so pound sow charge me after pawing and snorting at me, it happened so fast I barely had time to think what to do, but she sure knew what she wanted to do and that was get a piece of me.

I had my Winchester Model 94 with 16 inch barrel in .44MAG with 300 grain Hornady HP handloads and shot her underneath the chin straight on right before I turned and ran. After hanging out for ten or fifteen minutes I went back and unbelievably she was sprawled out on the trail? I thought maybe I might have knocked her unconscious because I could not believe she wad dead so I shot her in the head with my Browning Hi-Power 9mm 147 grain HP handload. She was dead, the .44 went right through her sternum and nailed her in the heart and lungs for an instant kill. Pure luck for me...
w00t.gif

It was one [beeep] of a job hauling her out of there to the Jeep using the 4WD ATV. Tried to eat her but she was too old and did not taste good.

Hogzilla.jpg

thanks for the compliment chupa. If there is one thing I do know it's that I learn something new every year. No matter how much you think you know if your not learning something new every year your either dead or not paying attention.

Back