Shotgun Barrel length?

"Les Johnson likes em..."

Not to diss the chokes, but LJ has a lot of incentive to say he likes em.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesI'll take a 24" over a 28" (or longer) for a calling gun.

The main thing I like about the shorter barrel (the advantage) is that it is just much, much *handier* in calling situations/conditions. World of difference (to me anyway).

For me I cant shoot a 22 or 24" barrel if my life depended on it. something about the short barrel I cant swing it and follow thru properly. Im sure if I practiced more i could but that would just double my shooting.

I like shorter tubes. My shotgun is a dedicated coyote rig, a Benelli M1-Super90 with an 18 1/2" barrel,ghost ring sights and a Carlsons Dead Coyote choke. Very handy in close cover,even though the recoil borders on unpleasant, when it's all said and done it gets the job done.

I'm curious how an 18" barrel would perform when up against a 24" barrel?

Say if a person was going for a short, light, quick handling gun? That could be used for hunting but also just as self defense against charging raccoons or milk jugs?

Oh and yes I did read gc's post and from what I retained is one day the turkey gun won and next itbwas the tactical? So that leaves mr right where I started

With the shells that are on the market along with the chokes you dont need long barrels. I would look at a 26 for a all around barrel. I have some test we did with our chokes and a 20-24-28 moss 835. With Turkey loads not but 11 shoot between them. 11 when you put 300 is not much. We shot 24 moss 26 SBEII and 28 Rem 870 with 00 buckshot. All the guns was about the same. I think you buy what feels the best to you and find a choke to match up with it. You will be all smiles.

Back