Stevens 200 info please

taggart

I have been thinking about getting a Stevens 200 in .243. From what I've read they're great shooters out of the box and they can easily be upgraded in the future due to basically being a Savage.
I have yet to come across any history on these guns, I was just curious about when were they first introduced.
Also, the center/staggered feed issue. When did Stevens go through that change?
What is the going rate for these rifles used?

The Stevens 200 is essentially a new production, pre-accutrigger Savage 10/110. The bolt is labelled "Stevens" and they come in a grey stock instead of black. That is the only difference between the basic 10/110 and the 200. I think centerfeeds came to be about three years ago. The 200 came about right after Savage started with the accutrigger as a budget model built on the same action.

I just got a used 110, pre-accutrigger in 30-06 for $275. It has the old adjustable three screw trigger, so being non-accutrigger doesn't bother me in the least.

You might also want to look into the Marlin XL7 and Mossberg 100ATR. Both are in the same price bracket as the Stevens, but come with an adjustable accutrigger knock off. I would steer clear of the Savage Edge though, unless you are specifically looking for 223 or 22-250. They just feel cheap, and the trigger is pretty awful.

Is there a screw spacing difference in the stocks for the staggered and center feed models? I have just noticed in the past couple of years that aftermarket stocks on Midway are listed with the screw spacing, where they were not before.

When I changed my Stevens 200 - bought 4 or 5 years ago - I just used aftermarket parts for the Savage Model 10, including a stock, barrel and trigger.

And there are few options as of yet for aftermarket stocks for the centerfeed models. However, Mr. Rayhill from Stockade gun stocks makes an outstanding one for them that can be mentioned in the same sentence with the likes of McMillan for half the price.

Chupa

Thanks for the info guys.
I had considered the Mossberg and Marlin mentioned above but I assume the aftermarket selection for various components is quite a bit better for the Stevens?

Yea, but they come with an adjustable trigger out of the box. If you want to build on an action, you absolutely cannot go wrong with a Savage/Stevens action. The XL7 though does use Savage barrel threads, so barrel and recoil lug swaps are easy. Richards Microfit says they will be inletting for the XL7 and 100ATR soon. They are all incredible guns for the money, it's really just a question of goals.

I have been considering buying one of these in .223 and writing a thread about bargain rifles compared to higher end rifles (not a Blaser, but maybe a nice Remington or similar) and then start making modifications like a trigger job, then bedding the action, free floating the barrel and so on. Each time documenting how much accuracy, if any, is gained by these modifications. The ultimate goal of this project would be to see how much accuracy I can squeeze out by spending as little as possible.

So my thought is to buy the Stevens 200 chambered in .223, and put a quality yet lower priced scope on it (prob a Nikon Buckmasters) and some mid range rings on it. Ultimately I want to have the initial investment be around $550-$600 and see where it goes from there. Maybe after all my work, it may be just as expensive to just buy a higher end rifle.

Thoughts?

I just did, for a friend, what you are talking about. I did not however document every step and how the accuracy change.

Stevens 200 7mm-08 $179.99
Hogue Stock (pillar bedded) $80
Stainless trigger guard $20
Big bolt handle $15
DNZ mounts $50

I'm using a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 on it right now but he has a Leupold Rifleman 3-9 that I am going to mount on it after I get it cerakoted.

I bedded the rifle with devcon, lapped the rings, replaced the trigger wire with a smaller gauge, and did a little light polishing on the trigger.

It is shooting some really nice groups with Hornady 139gr. SST and Varget.
I will try and post a couple pictures up later.
It is very finicky on how you torque the action screws though, which I don't like. A little different torque or sequence on bolting the action to the stock and it can change how it shoots quite a bit.

Originally Posted By: taggartI have been thinking about getting a Stevens 200 in .243. From what I've read they're great shooters out of the box and they can easily be upgraded in the future due to basically being a Savage.
I have yet to come across any history on these guns, I was just curious about when were they first introduced.
Also, the center/staggered feed issue. When did Stevens go through that change?
What is the going rate for these rifles used?

I have the exact rifle - love it! I bought it for the versatility of bullet weights offered in this caliber. I paid $299 new at Big 5 Sporting Goods about two years ago. There's one on Bud's Gun shop for $320, so a price on a used one in good condition with low round count could be between $250-$275. Maybe lower, IMO.

55Grn NBT an 39 gr of Benchmark shoots sub MOA (averaging about .7-.8" groups). I have a Simmons Aetec on it and have had nothing but a good experience with the rifle.

Good Luck!

Thanks for all the info guys!
Daisy2007- Where did you find it for $179?? Was the Hogue for the 4.4?
Luke-I would be interested in reading about that build after your done or as you go.

Originally Posted By: taggartThanks for all the info guys!
Daisy2007- Where did you find it for $179?? Was the Hogue for the 4.4?
Luke-I would be interested in reading about that build after your done or as you go.

Bought the Stevens at Academy. I don't think they are selling them anymore. They used to sell them once or twice a year at that price.
The Hogue stock is for either short action screw spacing. They made the front action screw so that you can mount either action to it. It's hard to explain without seeing it but you can switch the front hole from one spacing to the other by pushing the screw grommet out and reversing it. It is very easily done.

Academy was closing out their supply of 7-08s and 270s for $179 last year. This was a cheaper version of the normal Stevens 200. The Academy model had a cheaper tan stock and a trigger with only one screw(safety adjustment). Several friends bought them. I passed as I am a lefty. My son has a Stevens 200 in 308 Win that has a factory 3-screw trigger that is a tack driver.

I will keep that Hogue stock in mind.
I'm gonna keep my eye out with the holidays coming up, someplace may have a deal on them.

Back