Coyote bait?

lcp

I was wondering while waiting on Deer season to provide a gut pile, what would be a cheap, readily available substitute?

Bag of dog food?, cat food?

whats your thoughts?

I use armadillos for bait and they work real well, the 'yotes especially like the leftover exoskeleton even weeks after the flesh and tissues are gone.

wrong time of year, but beaver carcases work great. If you know a trapper doing damage control work he may be able to hook you up. Pigs from a confinement would be another...Russ

My personal recipe for baiting,,,Piles of dry dog food,,weeks before i hunt a area.

WHEN you are getting ready to hunt it,,spread it out and seperate it,a couple here,few there...if not they will grab a mouthful and head back to cover.

Hope this helps.

X

Seems to me part of your baiting question hinges on where you intend to bait. Will you be close to home or have to drive a ways?

If close to home, as in my case, I can bait them right in my back yard which is surrounded by a 150 acre field. I can tend the bait daily, and don't want stinking and rotting carcases in my yard. So I use dry dog food, table scraps, fruit, etc. So far, I haven't found much they won't eat and that's a fact.

Now, if you aren't fortunate enough to be able to bait close, then you'll need a bigger bait pile and something you don't tend every day. All the suggestions already made above will work. Hope it works out for ya.

Originally Posted By: hillmanwrong time of year, but beaver carcases work great. If you know a trapper doing damage control work he may be able to hook you up. Pigs from a confinement would be another...Russ

They do love the beaver. Use it when I got it. Havn't had many damage control calls yet this year. Usally throw a couple in the freezer to use this time of year.

With the fields about to start coming out the road killed deer numbers should start to go up.

I'll let ya all in on my top secret coyote bait:

WATERMELON

Have shot quite a few over the years over cracked open watermelons

Back