Coyote Scope Magnification

Winny Fan

If you were going to be hunting in an area where the longest shot might be an occasional shot approaching 300 yards, but less than 150-250 max would be the norm, what power scope would you recommend for coyotes. About 100 yards would be the distance for most shots. And fixed or variable models?

A good 3-9 would be hard to beat. 10x on he top end would be plenty in whatever brand you like.
I have used the Zeiss,Bushnell Elite 4200's and Swaro's,Trijicon,Leupold,Weaver and limited use of Minox and all are good choices in that power range.I have been wanting to try Vortex but have not gotten one yet.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of the 1.5x6 and have three. I have a couple of 1x4's and ran them for years until I got my first 1.5x6, still have a couple on specialty rigs.

O/U 12ga/5.6x50R Mag. Leupold 1x4
Dogsandrifles008.jpg

22-204 in winter camo 1.5x6 Sightron II
Dogsandrifles007.jpg

AWS

Last edited:
I like 6x scope a lot myself and use a few, I feel a good power range would be 2.5x to 15x. What price range a are you looking?

Mike @ CST

If your shots are normally between 150-250 with an occasional 300 a 3-9x is the way to go. You can find them in just about any reticle you want. I'd keep it in the 4-6x range while in the field and dial it in for those 300 yard shots.

Originally Posted By: venaticA good 3-9 would be hard to beat. 10x on he top end would be plenty in whatever brand you like.
I have used the Zeiss,Bushnell Elite 4200's and Swaro's,Trijicon,Leupold,Weaver and limited use of Minox and all are good choices in that power range.I have been wanting to try Vortex but have not gotten one yet.

+1, 3-9X for the 100 yard range, 6X and up if I was looking beyond.

Thanks guys. A 3X9 is what I would use on a big game rifle for the ranges I described, but I wanted some expert advice since serious coyote hunting is fairly new to me. Price is not a big concern. I'm only spending my kid's inheritance at this point in life.

Thanks again.

I have four 4 X 12 X 40mm scopes and one 2 X 7.

I like using 12 power on coyotes when they are 200 yards away and farther.

Even on 12 power some of the coyotes look pretty small to me when they are 200 yards away.

Thanks everyone. I have a couple of straight 6 power scopes and and I like them a bunch for deer in some terrain. I wasn't sure if they get much use or have value on a coyote gun but I will keep them in mind. One is a brand new VXII still in the box, so maybe it will go on my first true coyote rifle.

After doing some looking around and thinking about it, I think a new Model 70 FW in 22-250 will be the first coyote rifle. Hides are not valuable down here.

I tried calling with a 4-12X for a while and missed too many opportunities with the limited FOV even at four power. (Me and Chupa may be suffering from the same disease.
wink.gif
) I knee jerked and bought a 2-7X and found it was a little too low for the occasional long shot. My calling rifles now have a good old 3-9X50 and a 2.5-8X both Leupolds. Both work excellent for the desert. If you're calling a lot of tight cover, I'd probably take the 1.5 or 2X low end variable suggested by some of the guys. You'll miss more coyotes because of a low FOV than you will because of low magnification.

Originally Posted By: tt35I tried calling with a 4-12X for a while and missed too many opportunities with the limited FOV even at four power. (Me and Chupa may be suffering from the same disease.
wink.gif
) I knee jerked and bought a 2-7X and found it was a little too low for the occasional long shot. My calling rifles now have a good old 3-9X50 and a 2.5-8X both Leupolds. Both work excellent for the desert. If you're calling a lot of tight cover, I'd probably take the 1.5 or 2X low end variable suggested by some of the guys. You'll miss more coyotes because of a low FOV than you will because of low magnification.

2X7 if I could find a 2.5X10 with the same field of view as a 2X7 I would take the 2.5X10.

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobEven on 12 power some of the coyotes look pretty small to me when they are 200 yards away.

Yep, and they get smaller at 200 yards every year.

I changed out my 3x9 for a 4.5 x 14 and have yet to regret it.

Last edited:
Back